Oldest bible being put online - what will that mean for WTS teachings?

by Simon 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Earnest
    Earnest

John 1:1 - Codex Sinaiticus

• Chalam
    Chalam

Some of the excellent comments regarding this article...

Below is a selection of your comments:

A rather mocking piece. Why doesn't Roger Bolton lay his cards on the table first rather than weave them into a BBC article on the Bible? His final sentence summarises his opinions; the subject and story becomes irrelevant.Cynicus, Glasgow

"For those who believe the Bible is the inerrant, unaltered word of God, there will be some very uncomfortable questions to answer." I doubt it. The topic has been dealt with many times through the centuries. The best discussion IMO is in St Augustine's 'Confessions'; it boils down to the argument that the contemporary bible is the true and only bible. The fact that older ones were different is irrelevant.
    bob, london

Christians have known all of this for a while. Most bibles place the story of the woman taken in adultery in brackets and state that the earliest and most reliable manuscripts do not contain the story. They also state that the ascension account in Mark's gospel is unreliable. This is old news and there were other reasons why the 2 "extra" books were not passed by the council of Nicea. Please check your facts before publsihnig the story.
    Emma, Sheffield

Concerning "His blood be upon us", the distinguished New Testament scholar Professor Bart Ehrman needs to get his facts right before making such bold assertions. Obviously he's never read Matthew 27:25, which is exactly the verse he states is missing from modern versions of the Bible (unless he's been misquoted of course).Martin

Could we have a balanced article, please? Christians have known about these documents for over a century and yet there are still many of us, evangelicals (not necessarily fundamentalists) who believe the bible is God's word. Could we not have had a response in your article explaining some of these things?
    Robin, Winsford

Asking Bart Ehrman for objective comment on Biblical matters is rather like asking Sarah Palin to provide a Presidential job appraisal for Barack Obama. It's long been known that the story of the woman taken in adultery was not in all copies of the Bible so why does anyone think it's an issue? Professor Ehrman is doing precisely what he accuses others of doing, trying to make a point in support of his own opinion.
    Philip Thomas, Merseyside

Didn't they also find the missing page that says 'All characters depicted in this book are purely ficticious and any resemblence to anyone alive or dead is purely co-incidental.'
    George, Maidenhead

All the best,

Stephen

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

The Sinaiticus supports the question I made in a video a few months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y4l3G9qFHM

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Regarding the effect on WT teachings, there will likely be further reminders NOT to trust the evil internet to discuss anything Bible related outside of watchtower.org/internetdangers.

Personally, I find it compelling that the Sinaiticus has so many apocryphal books (which the WTS does not make much, if any, reference to), yet this was comiled after the muratorean canon that the WTS likes to refer to as the earliest Bible canon. As has been pointed out, there is no "original Bible", rather old manuscripts that contain different canons quite different from the canon today.

My conclusion (not to offend, but IMHO): Inspired, my ass!

• Chalam
    Chalam

That is a cool vid, enjoyed it second time round!

A good point about the "Lord's day". So much subtle but powered deception in the NWT.

Another deception in the verse is the "by inspiration". The greek mentioned being "in the Spirit" http://biblos.com/revelation/1-10.htm

Any decent bible translates it thus http://bible.cc/revelation/1-10.htm

However, the NWT does not want the reader to know that the revelation comes via the Holy Spirit as they have elevated themselves to that position.

All the best,

Stephen

• Earnest
    Earnest

Apologies that my link (above) hasn't worked. It was working when I last looked at it. Alternatively, you can go to John 1:1 on the site itself (you can enlarge it by double clicking on the image). Of particular interest are the nomina sacra, the abbreviating of theon and theos on the third and fourth lines down in the first column.

A@G, while I am not personally convinced that Revelation was only written for those in the twentieth century, the Greek in Sinaiticus does not particularly support "on the Lord's Day". The same preposition, en, which is used in the first part of 1:10 where John says "in the Spirit" ("By inspiration" NWT) is also used when referring to the Lord's day ("en te kuriake emera" "in the Lord's day"). It can also be translated "on the Lord's day" but afaik it was only many years later that Sunday became known as the Lord's day with the merging of religions under Constantine.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Earnest,

Kuriakos is definitely fixed as a common Christian technical term by the end of the 1st century. Not only the only other NT adjectival use in 1 Corinthians 11:20 is liturgical ("Lord's" supper) but in Didakhè 14:1 it is substantivised (kuriakè alone stands for kuriakè hèmera) and can be completed by kuriou as a reminder of its etymological meaning (kata kuriakè de kuriou, "every 'Lord's day' of the Lord"). This is definitely not a 4th-century development.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh Simon!!!! You sure started something...Go to your room
    Who really cares what the Wt thinks about the oldest bible?
    If it doesnt come across the same as their distorted bible
    it wont even be considered.

But I still love ya Simon !even if they are fighting on this link ( Angie

• Earnest
    Earnest

Narkissos,

Thanks for your correction. I was thinking of the Edict of Constantine that the day of the Sun (dies Solis) should be observed as the Roman day of rest, which was promulgated in 321. But I am happy to accept your correction that it was practised by Christians earlier than that.

• cognac
    cognac

When will it be online in English so we can look scriptures up? Also, what will the link be to it?

I's

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit