Why I can see no reason to believe in Christianity

by free2beme 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• free2beme
    free2beme

Those of us on this board, who live in the United States, know this country has a lot of Christian history attached to it's founders and current political state of things. If I look in the yellow pages, under Christianity, in the church section and browse the listed selection; I will quickly notice that the large majority of options are Christian based in one way or another. With this said, more then likely you are working with Christians, living next door to them or related to them in your life. So, why then do I see no reason to believe in the Christian religion?

1. A new religion, in an extremely old universe.

While I can accept, a possible creating force to life, I can not see that force being a person made in human image and sitting on a thrown and being in heaven. I can not see that person totally engulfed in their attention on one planet, when the universe is full of millions of possible other planets with no doubt the variety of life we see here in one way or another. To accept the Christian view, I have to some how close my known knowledge of the size of this universe and be like a fish in a fish tank who thinks life ends at the glass and the out of focus image of people walking by is god.

2. So much politics in the creation and history

The Christian faith holds to the Bible, like it is the word of God. Most see God taking the hands of these men and woman and moving their hands to write down their life events and knowledge. Yet most, if not the majority, ignore how the book was put together. How books are missing, as they did not mesh with the political views of some of the people on the committee, or how they took some out, as it showed how much the books did not actually work with one another. Basically, it is a book designed and laid out by a Congress of the past and like today's congress; corrupt and with a personal agenda. Not to mention, that several practices of Christians, were in fact taken from regional and Pagan faiths; Prayer, Baptism, Virgin Births and other items we just hold to be normal Christian procedures and stories.

3. Complete hypocrisy!

Show me a man or woman who claims to be a good Christian, and let me put secret camera and recorders in their life, and I will show you a real person who is just like everyone else. Not to mention the judgemental behavior inherit in a faith that at its core teaches it is the only true religion and those who are not in agreement, are punished in some terrible way or another. Yes, the bible says it and those who disagree should read the topic of this #3 and know I am talking to you.

4. Selective Faith

God got me through my cancer, god helped me to find friends, god brought be to the right place at the right time to find my love. All of these are things people put faith in God as doing. Yet, if God can cure your cancer, did you take credit away from the medicine? If God does all these small things for one person or another, why does he not stop messing with the small things and actually fix the other major events in the world like; war, famine, and illness? Oh, could it be that you are giving God credit for all things good and ignoring the other? Heck, if that worked in all parts in life it would be wonderful. You cheat on your spouse and then bring them flowers, they say, "I know you cheated, but your love brought me flowers and now that shows it was guided by you and I can accept the other as pure chance happenings." Talk about the ultimate "Get out of Jail Free Card!"

While I understand the actually desire to have faith; wanting a reason to live, a hope in the afterlife, and perhaps a common bond with society. Do not take yourself so serious all the time and allow yourself to see the actual foolishness in Christian faith. It is plain and simple if you take the rose colored goggles of. Christianity as a whole, has at its base form some key good beliefs;

A. Treat people with the love you want to be treated

B. Be a good person and member of society

C. Try to be honest and caring

Yet in these three points, I can show you in this world that most faiths teach this. It is what makes us different from animals of the field, and why I personally believe religion was promoted by world historical governments of the past. A promotion of faith that was planned, dictated and executed with such precision that to question it to this day is considered blasphemous and foolish. Yet, it is what it is and for this reason I left the Christian faith over ten years ago, when I left the Witnesses and why I can see no reason to believe in Christianity as a religion.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    1. A new religion, in an extremely old universe.
    While I can accept, a possible creating force to life, I can not see that force being a person made in human image and sitting on a thrown and being in heaven. I can not see that person totally engulfed in their attention on one planet, when the universe is full of millions of possible other planets with no doubt the variety of life we see here in one way or another. To accept the Christian view, I have to some how close my known knowledge of the size of this universe and be like a fish in a fish tank who thinks life ends at the glass and the out of focus image of people walking by is god.

Well, this is not necessarily true. No one says that God is totally focused on Earth, except maybe the Witnesses. We have our focus here, since it is our abode, and we ourselves are our greatest concern. It is child-like in a way. Children are self-absorbed. However, God can have his focus everywhere, if He chooses. And as an omniscient being, I am certain he does, he would have to in order to satisfy the condition. The fact that the Christian God is Love itself would mean that he can love all his creation, and to an extent that is beyond our limited comprehension. That the Universe is so vast and majestic is a tribute to the Creator, rather than a detraction. I suspect howeverr, that the Universe is actually far vaster than our best estimates.

2. So much politics in the creation and history
    The Christian faith holds to the Bible, like it is the world of God. Most see God taking the hands of these men and woman and moving their hands to write down their life events and knowledge. Yet most, if not the majority, ignore how the book was put together. How books are missing, as they did not mesh with the political views of some of the people on the committee, or how they took some out, as it showed how much the books did not actually work with one another. Basically, it is a book designed and laid out by a Congress of the past and life today's congress; corrupt and with a personal agenda. Not to mention, that several practices of Christians, were in fact taken from regional and Pagan faiths; Prayer, Baptism, Virgin Births and other items we just hold to be normal Christian procedures and stories.

Everything you say is true at least in part, yet that does not detract from the Bible. Yes, there was a selection process, some books made the cut and some didn't. No serious Christian would say that it fell from the sky intact. And just because other cultures/religions have similar accounts does not mean the Bible ones are not authentic. And the Bible does provide a great deal of background information and teachings regarding the faith.

3. Complete hypocrisy!
    Show me a man or woman who claims to be a good Christian, and let me put secret camera and recorders in their life, and I will show you a real person who is just like everyone else. Not to mention the judgemental behavior inherit in a faith that at its core teaches it is the only true religion and those who are not in agreement, are punished in some terrible way or another. Yes, the bible says it and those who disagree should read the topic of this #3 and know I am talking to you.

Yes, most Christians are very flawed, myself included. However, the Christian idea is something to be striven for, and just because something is perfect does not mean it is not worth striving for. Of course, every once in a while a truly saintly person appears in history, and the world is changed. It is only hypocritical (as well as proud and arrogant) to act as if one is perfect, while a non-Christian is not. Jesus spoke of the rafter in the eye, so humility is important. The Christian religion makes provision for human error and provision for reconcilitation for those errors.

4. Selective Faith
    Good got me through my cancer, good helped me to find friends, good brought be to the right place at the right time to find my love. All of these are things people put faith in God as doing. Yet, if God can cure your cancer, did you take credit away from the medicine? If God does all these small things for one person or another, why does he not stop messing with the small things and actually fix the other major events in the world like; war, famine, and illness? Oh, could it be that you are giving God credit for all things good and ignoring the other? Heck, if that worked in all parts in life it would be wonderful. You cheat on your spouse and then bring them flowers, they say, "I know you cheated, but your love brought me flowers and now that shows it was guided by you and I can accept the other as pure chance happenings." Talk about the ultimate "Get out of Jail Free Card!"

There is good and evil in the world. Most of the evil is of our own cause and doing. God does not commit evil. What good we recieve is a gift. And even the suffering in the world has an ultimate purpose that is greater than the immediate moment. Our own perceptions are limited and much of the suffering is self-inflicted. That purpose for suffering is ultimately good, to reconcile and draw everything that is into a perfect life in God, even if it is not immediately apparent.

While I understand the actually desire to have faith; wanting a reason to live, a hope in the afterlife, and perhaps a common bond with society. Do not take yourself so serious all the time and allow yourself to see the actual foolishness in Christian faith. It is plain and simple if you take the rose colored goggles of. Christianity as a whole, has at its base form some key good believes.
    A. Treat people with the love you want to be treated
    B. Be a good person and member of society
    C. Try to be honest and caring
    Yet in these three points, I can show you in this world that most faiths teach this.

This is true, but people of all faiths enjoy the good things that come from God. God has not left the rest of humanity without His light. Human beings, by their very nature as children of God, have an inherent idea of what is good and bad. This applies to everyone, just as God makes the sun shine and the rain come down for everyone, God enlightens everyone that seeks Him, regardless of external labels. He sees what lies within us, and knows us better than we know ourselves.

BTS

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

It's been heavy on my mind lately, as I have had a love affair with two religions now, Catholic and JW.

I have no desire to delve into another religion.

Appreciated your post very much.

on #2

purps

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I would like, very much, to believe in Christianity. Actually I'd settle just for believing in a benevolent Higher Power.

At the end of the day, at least for me, my biggest problem is how do we know that the next life won't be as unfair, as harsh, as cruel and full of sadness as this life?

If there is a god who cares, why is this life so full of misery, pain and sadness?

So far, I cannot find a religious expression that can adequately explain this to my very simple, obviously stupid, mind.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Whatever Christians can imagine about Christ both in the Christian Bible and outside of it, I can imagine about fairies.

Believing in fairies is an act of faith. Not believing in them will make you toast. Etc., Ad Naseum.

villabolo

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I replaced God with sex & alcohol & i haven't looked back since.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The Bible lies.

Original Sin is nothing more than a scam. God created this problem for mankind so He could propose a "solution" (or more than one, depending on which one you were brought up with) to this problem. In exchange, you are indebted to Him.

Now, Jesus did not die to clear our sins. Jesus was trying to get people away from the "everything you do is what your boss tells you to" mentality and into free-thinking. For this, Jesus was murdered by the religious leaders. Paul came in and twisted everything, making it look like there is a new set of rules. God cashed in on this confusion, using what was to become the Catholic Church to further twist the scriptures and plunge mankind into the First Dark Ages so no one would question it.

Rather than a book of rules (the book itself lies), we need a simple rule to live by. This gives us freedom to do whatever we want, as long as we do not initiate the use of force, threats of force, or fraud against others or their property. We alone decide what is good and what is bad (sounds like the rule that Satan made for us to live by). We alone bear responsibility for our own actions (since others do not have the right to close out good out of our lives, since that would require initiating force and/or fraud to pull off). And let mankind give Jehovah the biggest slap in His face by refusing to do anything He tells us--if He is going to wipe us out for it, so be it (better than living in a world where everything you do is what that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag tells you). If it pleases Him, let Him have a nice, sterile blue marble to look at.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I like your cheating/flowers illustration. I stealz it.

• Atomahawk
    Atomahawk

Those that profess that Christianity is the cure all and end all for mankind salvation are deluding themselves and the same can be said about every other religion on this planet. Religion has been used as a control mechanism by some very smart humans as a tool to control events and mankind. Governments love religion even though most will not admit this fact. It has kept those that are sheep happy, hoping, wishful etc. all of these little things that control and reduce a large portion of humanity into un ambitious and un questioning drones.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

freetobeme

Yet, it is what it is and for this reason I left the Christian faith over ten years ago, when I left the Witnesses and why I can see no reason to believe in Christianity as a religion.

What makes you think the JWs are part of the Christian faith?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit