Jesus's Divinity

by PSacramento 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Atalaya: "Also that only Jehovah is called the Almighty and Jesus a mighty God."

Then that makes two gods, a greater one and a lesser one.

You cannot serve two masters.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Bookmarking for my post history, mainly to reference Narkissos' excellent last post, which expresses so well what I have wanted to say in similar threads in the past....

• ATALAYA
    ATALAYA
    Atalaya: "Also that only Jehovah is called the Almighty and Jesus a mighty God."

Then that makes two gods, a greater one and a lesser one.

You cannot serve two masters.

Thanks for your comments.

As to Christ’s being called "Mighty God," if puny human judges can be called "gods" in the Scriptures (Psalm 82:1-7), is it not appropriate that God’s Son should be called "Mighty God" (Hebrew, ‘ElGib·bohr´)?
    Notice, however, that he is not called "God Almighty" (Hebrew, ‘ElShad·dai´),
    a term used exclusively for Jehovah. And concerning worship Jesus stated:

"The hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshipers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for, indeed, the Father is looking for suchlike ones to worship him. God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth." (John 4:23, 24)

So Jesus despite having all the power and authority given by his father,Jesus clearly showed that worship must be to his father not

him.

• carla
    carla

marking

• Chalam
    Chalam

So Jesus despite having all the power and authority given by his father,Jesus clearly showed that worship must be to his father not

Maybe you should check the original greek for worship before you go believing the WT "teaching" and the "most accurate" NWT?!

See here for example

4352. proskuneo (pros-koo-neh'-o) worship

Same greek word used in both of these verses, click here worship

NIV John 4:24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

NIV John 9:38 Then the man said, "Lord, I believe," and he worshiped him.

Now for the "most accurate" NWT

NWT John 4:24 God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth.”

NWT John 9:38 Then he said: “I do put faith [in him], Lord.” And he did obeisance to him.

Clearly, the NWT change the greek word for worship to "obeisance" for Jesus.

Obviously then do not want you worshipping Jesus.

All the best,

Stephen

• ATALAYA
    ATALAYA

Jesus'own words clear the issue my friend. It is clear. This is not the only ocassion that
    Jesus pointed out to whom people must worship.

You are probably familiar with the gospel accounts of Jesus’ being "tempted by the Devil." (Matt. 4:1-11; Luke 4:1-13)

How did Jesus respond to this trialsome experience?

Notice in this Jesus response:

Then Jesus said to him: ‘Go away, Satan!
    For it is written, "It is Jehovah your God you must worship,
    and it is to him alone you must render sacred service."’
    [Deut. 6:13]."—Matt. 4:4, 7, 10.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Actually, it says, "You must worship the Lord ( κ?ριος kyrios) your God (theos). ...just one of the reasons JWs no longer distribute the Greek Interlinear. :)

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello Atalaya,

So are you saying the greeks made a mistake?!

For me, there is no mistake, I worship Jesus like they did in the New Testament, just as Jesus said to.

John 5:22-23 (New International Version)

22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.

All the best,

Stephen

• chickpea
    chickpea

i thought this was going
    to reveal a recipe for
    heavenly confection

• shamus100
    shamus100

Yes we view Jesus as a typical son that has many qualities of his father, divine qualities but none of these make him his father.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit