Jesus's Divinity

by PSacramento 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Just to confrim, do JW's believe that Jesus is Divine?

Not that Jesus is God, which they obviously don't believe, but that Jesus is divine, with the divien qualities of his father?

Also, do JW's beleive or agree that, in the New Covenant, Jesus has the primary role that was God's in the Old Covenant?

EX: In the old covenant God was the saviour, redeemer, the Judge, in the NEW Covenant, that falls on Jesus ( though God works trough Jesus).

• blondie
    blondie

*** w85 12/15 p. 25 "The Word Was With God, and the Word Was . . . "? ***Hence, rather than saying that the Logos (Jesus) was with God and was God, John 1:1 explains that the Logos was with the Almighty God and was divine, or was a god.

*** Reasoning Book p. 213 par. 2 Jesus Christ ***) Isaiah 9:6 (RS) also prophetically describes Jesus as "Mighty God," but not as the Almighty God. All of this is in harmony with Jesus’ being described as "a god," or "divine," at John 1:1 (NW,AT).

You will see that although the WTS says that Jesus was divine that he was not the Almighty God

• blondie
    blondie

You do realize that the vast majority of the people that post on here are no longer jws and embrace a very divergent set of ideas from what they did as jws?

• reniaa
    reniaa

Yes we view Jesus as a typical son that has many qualities of his father, divine qualities but none of these make him his father.

Reniaa

• ATALAYA
    ATALAYA

Also that only Jehovah is called the Almighty and Jesus a mighty God.

• androb31
    androb31

"Also that only Jehovah is called the Almighty and Jesus a mighty God."

Isaiah 9:6

For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace

Isaiah 10:20,21

And it will certainly occur in that day that those remaining over of Israel and those who have escaped of the house of Jacob will never again support themselves upon the one striking them, and they will certainly support themselves upon Jehovah, the Holy One of Israel, in trueness.A mere remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob, to the Mighty God.

e·ter·nal audio (-tûrnl) KEY

ADJECTIVE:

1. Being without beginning or end; existing outside of time.
    2. Continuing without interruption; perpetual.
    3. Forever true or changeless:
  • glenster
    glenster

I cover most of their stances, such as in "Should You Believe in the
    Trinity?", in which they give their stances and what they make out those who
    differ would say--except I add what others would actually say--on pp.4 and 7 to
    10 of "Glenster's Guide to GTJ Brooklyn."
    http://www.freewebs.com/glenster1/gtjbrooklynindex.htm

(P.S.: nobody, at least by any of the popular views I know of, says Jesus is
    the Father.)

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

The thing is, Jesus is unique.

John 3:16 (New American Standard Bible)

16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

There are many angels, but only one begotten Son of God.
    Matthew 1:18 (New International Version)

The Birth of Jesus Christ
    18 This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit.
    Hebrews 1 (New International Version)

Hebrews 1
    The Son Superior to Angels
    1 In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.

5 For to which of the angels did God ever say,
    "You are my Son;
    today I have become your Father"? Or again,
    "I will be his Father,
    and he will be my Son"? 6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says,
    "Let all God's angels worship him." 7 In speaking of the angels he says,
    "He makes his angels winds,
    his servants flames of fire." 8 But about the Son he says,
    "Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever,
    and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.
    9 You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
    therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions
    by anointing you with the oil of joy."

All the best,

Stephen

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

From what I recall, JWs do confess Jesus' divinity reluctantly, when they really have to because someone asks them whether they do or not and they have been taught to answer "yes, we do". (Just as they can say that refusing a blood transfusion is a matter of individual conscience.) In one word: strategically. But then they will go out of their way to explain how Jesus is not divine instead of how he is.

Typically the "peaks" of Christological enthusiasm in the NT are absolute "lows" in JW piety. They are hardly mentioned out of a polemic context, where they have to be explained away. Positive, "upbuilding" meditations on whatever NT Christological hymns are supposed to mean within the framework of JW doctrine are at best rare when compared to the number of defensive explanations of what those texts don't mean in doctrinal debate. This is at least a major shift of emphasis. JWs are trained to explain why some scriptures properly call Jesus a god although he is not the almighty "God" but I have yet to hear a JW prayer ending with "through Jesus our god," for instance.

• booby
    booby

reniaa . . . . just for fun can you tell me one of the qualities of the father Jehovah that Jesus the son does not posess?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit