Weird stuff individuals believe

by bluecanary 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

This thread doesn't just have to be about JWs. It's about the weird stuff that isn't taught by the religion, but an individual believes it. My examples:

My ex thought it was wrong to have a pumpkin (that isn't carved) as a decoration. He also thought it was wrong to have any association with relatives who were never dubs.

One chick thought that "crap" was the german equivalent of sh*t. One lady wouldn't let her kids watch Star Wars (at any age).

What are some of the lame/weird things you've seen people be strict about?

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

One of the kids in our hall painted my mother's hubcaps bright yellow. An elderly sister complained that it was inappropriate for a Witness. Is there a rule in the Bible on hubcap colors?

• meangirl
    meangirl

I know somebody who didn't let her daughter watch The Little Mermaid cause it showed too much cleavage..... Also while out in service one day I was talking to this little girl about 6 and we were talking about movies we had just watched. She asked "Have you seen Jumanji?" and I was like "yeah, it was a really cool movie, we really liked it" and she said "WE BURNED IT!!!!!" AWKWARD!!!!

• loosie
    loosie

I once knew this woman who thought that god didn't approve of blow jobs.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    He also thought it was wrong to have any association with relatives who were never dubs.

That's what I was told.

Just about all movies, country, pop and rock music, any revealing clothing, (back in the early 80's one young married sister was criticized so much for wearing slitted skirts. She sewed the slits up and was then criticized for how tight the skirts were). Smurfs were demonized, and Life cereal had blood in it. Playing and watching football was a sin.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

oh yea all the usual. Smurfs are evil, oral sex can kill u, don't bath during your period, Star wars is an insult to creation, Blood transfusian can result in a personality change, Dr's are evil............the list is too long

• brinjen
    brinjen

A young sister in my congregation bought a bumper sticker for her car that read 'Heck, at least it's paid for' (yes, the car was an old pile of crap). She was spoken to very severely by an older sister about having a sticker with the word 'heck', as it's a substitute word for hell... and hell doesn't exist.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Just remembered another one... a sister who forbid her children from listening to the Julian Lennon song 'Saltwater' on account of the first couple of lines

We are a rock revolving, around the golden sun.

She said the song was advocating evolution.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Food manufacturers spike their products with blood cells just to trick dubs into eating blood! It was in everything--hot dogs, cold cuts, crackers, Milky Way candy bars, etc.

Makers of health and beauty products use their profits for devil worship.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

There was a craze for a while when all the kids had stars pasted on their ceilings that glowed in the dark. Some Dubs said this was wrong because you couldn't have an image of anything in creation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit