40 Years (a Generation) Past 1874, That's All it Was!

by OnTheWayOut 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Yup, to the point where the average dub believes old Chuck actually predicted the war. Which of course he didn't.

• sir82
    sir82
    Yup, to the point where the average dub believes old Chuck actually predicted the war. Which of course he didn't.

LOL! So true.

Our senile old CO gave the concluding talk at the DC this past weekend. He flat-out stated that Knorr predicted the rise of the UN in a talk in 1942 (despite the fact that newspapers were full of articles about the proposed UN for months prior to his talk). He also inferred that Rutherford's "millions now living will never die" was a prophecy pointing to our time, when there are millions of JWs living.

JWs are the world champs at spinning history to fit their convoluted teachings.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks all for your thoughts. If someone is lurking and thinks WTS has so much explained that nobody else explains, the point of this thread is that they DO NOT have it explained. They just changed their explaination when their last one expired.

All their insistence that 1914 is right because of all their doctrinal gymnastics is so much rubbish that you don't need to understand. They insisted that they were right about dates past that turned out wrong. 1914 was wrong. Try to remember when they insisted that Jesus' sign of the last days included earthquakes in greater frequency since 1914. Do they ever say that anymore? NO, because experts have shown that earthquakes did not happen in greater frequency since 1914. Russell used to say that the Great Pyramid proved 1914 by it's measurements. They would deny that stuff today. The phrase was not "Millions Now Living May Never Die" as they say it was. The title of the talk in the early 1920's was "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" because they were saying the end was right around that particular corner. Those millions are dead.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

There's a good friend of mine, an inactive JW, who I often speak to about the weaknesses in JW doctrine. He doesn't believe in JWism, but he's not ready to be an "apostate" either. His girlfriend's an inactive JW, herself, and he's happy to live his life as an undisfellowshipped inactive JW.

Anyhow, awhile back I showed him this chart:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Millerite_1843_chart_2.jpg

It's William Miller's "proof" for the 1843/1844 date. I then opened up the Insight book on the gentile times and showed him how eerily similar the WT's "proof" for 1914 was, down to the 7 times, 2520 days/years, etc. He was pretty distraught and asked me to put it away. He didn't want to go down that rabbit hole.

He knew the WT is wrong, but didn't want to find out too much and become so angry as to become on of the dreaded "apostates" we all grew up loathing. When you're able to take a step back and objectively look at history, it's clear JWism is just an offshoot of a religious movement whose heyday was nearly 2 centuries ago.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Coincedence is the JW trump card for anything that just happans to work. It then become "Angelic Direction". Sorry I just threw up a bit. An active JW friend of mine came by the convelesent home to visit me and my Mom. I thanked him. He and I were friends well b4 we were JW's. Well as he talks about his life it's either "satan is persecuting us", or " What a blessing". It sounds so odd now

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

neverendingjourney's chart shows that people can come out with any math theories to point to any dates.
    It's just a game, some of the players believed and some of them just sell books or lecture series.

Within a day, I could come up with some legit sounding math from Biblical gymnastics to show how the end must come by 2013 or 2010 or whatever. It would just depend on my end-goal.

• flipper
    flipper

OTWO- Wow. Thanks for posting this. This is a big help in debunking all the changing " generation " prophecies that the witnesses seem to chang their views on every 10 years or so to accomodate their fantasy hopes of an alleged " Armageddon " coming or an alleged " paradise " coming . Very helpful. I'll be printing this one out for future use to assist JW relatives for sure

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Its interesting how many individuals cant definitely separate the commercial aspect of this organized religion, in how

the leaders of the WTS. had always exploited the established belief in the bible to help propagate their own published literature.

It highlights both freedom of religion and capitalism in its purest sense when you think about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit