40 Years (a Generation) Past 1874, That's All it Was!

by OnTheWayOut 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Here's the real simple version of the complicated doctrine of when Jesus supposedly returned and the last days arrived/ended/started.

William Miller said that Jesus' Return would be in 1844. (See The Great Disappointment at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Disappointment ) People who believed what he said were known as "Millerites." It (Jesus' return) didn't happen. This return of Jesus was also known as his second advent, and believers came to be known as Adventists.
    Adventist Jonas Wendell suffered in his faith at the Great Disappointment, but later carried the same type of "Millerites" talk in a sermon where Wendell had picked the new date of 1873 or 1874 for Jesus' 2nd return (after studying Bible chronology and being wrong about 1868). 18 year old C. T. Russell heard Wendell in 1870 speak of such a date. Wendell had already published The Present Truth, or Meat in Due Season highlighting such dates. So Wendell invented those terms that would haunt the WT organization and morph into New Light and food at the proper time.

Wendell died in August of 1873, probably confident that his 1873 to 1874 date was correct. When Jesus didn't appear as expected, Russell still believed it (or at least wanted to keep selling pamplets that explained it). He taught that Jesus must have returned invisibly, meaning that Jesus was ruling from Heaven starting in 1874. He taught that 40 years later, a literal application of how long a "generation" was, in 1914, Jesus would take power on the earth. That would mean an end to the Gentile Times in 1914 and an end to the last days- destruction and death and stuff.

Because World War One (coincidentally) started in 1914, Russell used that as a sign that he was correct in his complicated doctrines. He was already good at reinventing understanding rather than admitting he was wrong.

All the rest is just calculated backwards- the stuff about 607 BCE and the 2520 years and the Seven Times.
    All of it was just made to fit that understanding. When things didn't work out as planned (again) the people in charge just reinvented the understandings and adjusted the math to fit whatever they wanted it to fit to sell more pamphlets/magazines/books. The end of the last days became the beginning of the last days. 1874 was forgotten. They just kept changing the end-date. They even made terrible errors and just changed the math to fit- they forgot there was no "Year Zero" and changed 606 BCE to 607 BCE.
    They kept 1914 because it was so well-known to the followers and they already said "See, we were right" when World War One started. Everything about Nebuchadnezzar and the destruction/building of the temple was just made to fit the math. You can find anything if you work backwards. It's like writing a Sherlock Holmes story. Just work backwards from what a great detective would expect to find and make him look like a genius in discovering those things.

It is so unnecessary to understand the ridiculous theories of WT's present understanding when you can see what it was based on and how it changed to suit their need to get a following and sell pamphlets/magazines/books. It saddens me that I bothered to understand it at one time.

• oompa
    oompa

OUCH!........man that is painful for many to read i'm sure.......i sure would like to show that to my wife and dad otwo.......wont happen.........oompa

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Wendell died in August of 1873, probably confident that his 1873 to 1874 date was correct.

And Russell died in October 1916, knowing very well that his 1914 date was dead wrong!

(Methinks Russell was forced to up-date it to 1915 to account for the lack of a "year zero" in newer editions of Studies in the Scriptures.)

It saddens me that I bothered to understand it at one time.

Yet posts like this, based on documented history, serve an educational purpose for those still in. Please be proud of that.

~Sue

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

And Russell died in October 1916, knowing very well that his 1914 date was dead wrong!

Just as the Millerites had a "Great Disappointment," so many Russellites did too. C. T. Russell probably died bitter about being wrong, but there were pamplets/magazines/books to sell. There were sheep to be fleeced. No time to worry about actually being right or wrong. When some people wake up to smell the coffee, they just need to find more that are still drowzy. P.T. Barnum said there's one born every minute. P.T. never entered the actual greatest show on earth- the show of putting on a religion.

They just shouted enough dates back then and hoped that one of them would stick. 1914 was pure coincidence that Archduke Ferdinand would be assassinated that year and something bigger than this "show" would distract people from any real truth. But if not for that coincidence, there could have been another.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

OTWO,

Reviewing Studies in the Scriptures is fascinating and bizarre. I wish I would have taken a critical look at that stuff 20 years ago. It would have saved me a lot of grief to be able to say... "all this JW chronology is founded on rubbish".

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

For those interested, Jonas Wendell's Present Truth Or, Meat in Due Season can be downloaded in PDF here:

http://www.archive.org/details/PresentTruthByJonasWendell

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

OTWO, you hit the nail on the head. I saved this as it's a nice simple way of explaining this stuff to my daughter.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

And when Russell's expectations failed, they changed problematic words in his books and continued to sell them. For example where Russell wrote that something would happen "before" 1914, they blithely altered the word so that it read "after" 1914. Doug

• startingover
    startingover

Great resume! Thanks!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

But boy what a coincidence. Russell pinpoints 1914 and WW1 starts in 1914. It's just too spooky for JW's to resist. The power of that coincidence alone is enough for them to ignore all the other evidence against it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit