Did the elders in your congregation give counsel to those that were DATING? Good or bad counsel?

by BonaFide 25 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

You can usually spot the ones that followed ALL of the rules.

• restrangled
    restrangled

If you want to go back to the 70's version......here ya go....

No holding hands, do not sit together at the hall, no single dates....you must be in a group....not a good idea to be together in service, without others in the car.

Attend only witness functions where plenty of people will be,.... arrive seperately with family, leave with family.

Attend only "wholesome"....(when was the last time you heard that term in the real world?) activities and the same went for music.

Talk about getting teenagers worked into a frenzy.....and marrying in their teens.

r.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I agree restrangled. There were several teen marriages in the congregation I grew up in and left.

I have also had numerous cousins to marry in their teens. Some are still together and of course many are not. This was mostly back in the 70s.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Great thread. The amount of micromanaging is quite ridiculous.

Bangalore

• alias
    alias

We jumped through all kinds of approval hoops during our 6-month engagement: chaperones, seperate cars, limited PDAs. Wonder when they'll outlaw hand-holding all together now that embracing during prayer is frowned upon.

It's all about appearances. Never mind what people do anyway when they think nobody's looking. Funny, Jehovah's eyes looking down upon a young pioneer didn't keep him from climbing through the window of his lover at night.

alias

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

I was "advised" that although I was happily married, if I ever did become baptized, this would present inummerable problems in the future and that maybe my husband would stop me from spiritually progressing. They didnt say the words, but they implied there could/should be a separation. In the beginning in was "win him without a word"....in the end it was...."at the end of the day Paula, you are married to an agnostic...how would Jehovah feel??"......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit