lonliness and the very real temptation

by ryan12 23 Replies latest jw friends

• ryan12
    ryan12

I studied with the witnesses when I was in high school, 1984 My father didn't care at all but my mother was against it. About a 4 month book study with the Paradise book. We met at a nearby Jw's house once a week for a couple of hours.

Since I was only exposed to the teachings and the very kind people for a short time I have very good memories of my experience with book study and the Jw's.

I'm alone and lonely and they knock and I talk. I take the Watchtower and Awake and tracts. I even made a ten dollar donation. They really knock lately.

It's So Very tempting to after 25 years jump back in as I want friends and I love God with all my heart.

I did learn alot from them years ago in an indirect way - as they sparked a sincere interest in me in the word of God.

I find my local churches to be snobbish and only concerned with what one can give to them; money, more affluency, more money. I'm single, very low income and just not what churches in my area are looking for. I live in an affluent college town but I live in the area where the disability and HUD housing people live. Churches here are secular, high class and set up for wealthy families.

It's very tempting, very and I really want Christian friends and fellowship.

I just wanted to sound off.

I never believed in the trinity even as a child and the resurrection always made sense to me even as a child. I believe in one God, God. One not three. So there is some common ground with the witnesses.

Oh well, have a nice weekend.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hello Ryan, welcome to the forum!

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Welcome Ryan...

Please read the forum and ask lots of questions. My wife has not worked for a few years, been attempting to take college classes. She has a JW family, so the teachings were always in her mind, and I think the lonliness and the attraction of people coming to see her is what has drawn her back in.

Study sites like www.jwfacts.com and learn about the history of the organization and their inconsistencies. Keep your mind open now because as you move along, what they want you to look at will become much more narrow.

Best of luck to you and welcome again!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hearty welcome, Ryan!

What you say is completely understandable. We humans crave conversation and camaraderie, it seems. Stick with us a while on the forum for some conversation, there are some perfectly marvelous and loving Christians here.

Love,
    Baba.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Welcome, Ryan.

I've left the WT; I live in a very isolated place, and I feel the same way sometimes.

Please continue to post here, you've found an outlet.

Peace and strength to you.

Sylvia

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome Ryan12!

I don't know how active you were in the 80s or are now, but if you're seeking fellowship, you'll find very little social activity in the JWs nowadays. Most congregations have very few "get togethers" where you can build friendships and have fun. There was more of that 30 years ago than today.

Right now, since you're not "in", the dubs will come by and visit. Spending, and counting, lots of time with you. However, once you're baptized, that changes. It's all meetings and service. The only "fun" is going to the convention... yeah, not much fun, really. In the local congregation here, there is only one family that ever invites people over. That's it.

If you're lucky, there may be some genuinely nice JWs in that KH. They may help you improve your life in some ways and take an active interest in you. Sure, that would be a good thing. But then they'll move away or a new CO will come and tell them to pioneer rather than spend time with you.

For me, even while I was in Bethel, I had many "friends", yet I was very "lonely". Why? Because the friendships were very conditional and superficial. I could never speak my mind about some of the things that were just wrong with the organization.

Stick around. I'm sure others will have more helpful suggestions.

B the X

• oompa
    oompa

welcome....however........find a nice realy friendly church!.......and find one that does not to be the ONLY one god approves of!!!....THAT SHOULD BE A BIG RED FLAG!...that is so self-righteous.....they sure think a lot of themselves..........beware.............oompa

• BorgHater
    BorgHater

Hello ryan12 and welcome,

i completely agree with Billy, you can be in a room full of witnesses but still be as lonely as you ever were. Once they have got you in and signed up, the attention and love they first show you will start to wane and eventually fade completely. I know it must be very tempting when you are feeling alone and craving friendship, looking for answers. But please don't rush into anything and do as much research on the internet as you can. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

BorgHater xx

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

What is the place for single people in the org (or people with unbelieving mates)? Once you are dunked and the lovebombing stops, will your 'friends' be your field service group?

There are no 'singles groups' or 'parents without partners' support groups.....from what I understand, unless a congo has a family who is reaching out to others, there is no social structure at all....its all about the mags and pubs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit