What Was It That Finally Got You To Leave The Organization?

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

When i was going through 'the questions' for becoming an unbaptised publisher with two elders & one of them asked me the question 'do you want to be a jehovah's witness?'

It suddenly dawned on me there & then that there was nothing in the world i wanted less. I said yes of course, but i think they could tell i was lying. I never went on the ministry again after that, & stopped going to meetings a couple of months later.

• blondie
    blondie

The bald-faced lying by too many people for too long.

• cognac
    cognac

Reading the bible confirmed that the blood issue should at least be a conscience matter.

• New light for you
    New light for you

i knew some of the issues the religion had.. but i didn't start to "awaken" until i started reading up everything i could on how the religion started, Russell, Ruterford and so on. I did this research thinking it was going to prove my then-gone-apostate husband WRONG, but it did the oppisite.

• wobble
    wobble

I realised that the GB (FDS) were making claims for themselves that were not only preposterous ,but were downright blasphemous,they were putting themselves in the place of Christ.

I pointed this out to a long time friend,and ex-Elder,and he said "Well you had better leave then" so I did. I felt his words were the answer to my prayers.

the funny thing is,he is an intelligent guy,but born in like I was, and I have shown him a number of the problems with the Borg, and yet he still goes,

and asks me to "come back,all the fun ones,the people I like, have left" (Dosn't that tell you something numbnuts?)

Love

Wobble

• I quit!
    I quit!

It is kind of hard to narrow it down but I'll second what Leavingwt said. I guess I just wanted my life and my brain back.

• freeman
    freeman

The thing that did it for me was when I was strong-armed by the elders. My crime was missing too many meetings because my weekly flights to Washington DC and Greenbelt MD were conflicting with the Borg schedule. Out of all the people in the world, I was selected by NASA to test and validate the security of the then most expensive satellite in the world, the Hubble Space Telescope before it launched. I thought that was kind of a special honor from the government, who the hell get’s a call like that, this is something you don’t easily turn down, this was my dream job!

I explained to the dear inquisition panel (elders) that this consulting job (which paid me more money then I ever made in my life and was helping to pull me out of debt in a very short timeframe) would be over in about a month and that I would then take off my NASA security engineer hat and return to my real life as a (cringe) TV repairman, back again in regular attendance at the ever so important meetings (double cringe). I was writing the final report for this project, I had only 30 days to go on this project, 30 lousy days, they couldn’t wait the 30 days, and they said I had to make a choice, meetings or the NASA dream job.

The day I was given this ultimatum was coincidently on July 4 th , 1987.

I won’t tell you directly, but see if you can guess which path I chose.

Here is a hint:

Each year July 4 th is a very, very special day for me, not just as an American celebrating a holiday, but as someone who truly gained their independence on that date and started to live free!

Freeman (who’s very name reminds him of that special day in July of 1987)

• outofservice
    outofservice

What started me thinking was this God's true organization was the lack of love for each other. You were just a number, make sure you turn in your time and regular meeting attendance so our numbers for the congregation don't look bad. Also the segregation and cliques based on race or financial status. This was real obvious in the congregation I attended as a teenager, and from what I hear it still is today.Jesus associated and cared about everyone . I couldn't believe he would want to be part of an organization like this. So I started researching there doctrines and it all became very clear.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Wanting to leave my JW husband........

Now they are both outta my life!!

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

The lack of consideration for Mrs Lukewarm and I by the elders who supposedly "prayed" over a situation and decided against our wishes got me thinking about matters critically.

Then I began to notice the obsession they have with the ministry and how its always about doing more. Started thinking how Jesus only spent 10% of his life in the ministry - something did not feel right so I decided to prove to myself that this is the "truth".

Spending time here absorbing and educating myself about the opposing arguments made me question the faith I was raised in.

I've been planning to exit ever since I found out about Ray Franz, purchased his books and evaluated the information presented

http://www.commentarypress.com/Publication/English.html

No wonder why the WBTS never elaborate exactly what issues people disagree with...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit