Please help me to chill .... quit bouncing off the walls....detox...

by SnakesInTheTower 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

How much physical activity do you do? Having a real good physical workout can quell a lot of hyperness. I suggest avoiding high sugar foods and caffeine. Chamomile tea is calming.

I think your GF has a good suggestion as well. A detoxification may help quite a bit. I've used Dr. Natura and had some good results with it. I would like to do another one since it has been 2 years.

• restrangled
    restrangled

I think Rebel 8 hit on it. I am also a very hyper person, but one thing I have found that keeps me calm is doing something with my hands. Rebel 8 said she does intricate art work. I do needle point. It's mindless but exacting work. You can do it and listen to music, Tv, books on tape or have great conversations at the same time. The repetition of the work, seems to calm the mind and the body and at the same time you are accomplishing something.

I know a guy probably wouldn't want to pick up needlepoint, but its the most relaxing thing I know of.

My husband complains that when we are having conversations, I am always jumping up and start doing something else. I tell him just keep talking... I can't sit still. When I'm on the phone, I pace, dust, empty a dishwasher etc. Is this the kind of bouncing off the walls you are talking about or something more severe?

Whats really wierd is, I use to type letters dictated by the attorney I worked for on a dictaphone, and read something else on the computer at the same time.

r.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

sylvia....I would be willing to try a natural remedy. I take pharmaceuticals only when I have to. I take a mild sleeping pill (generic simply sleep) to shut my mind off at night... I went from 4 hours a night to 7-8 hours a night. Between that and the Sleep Number bed I really started sleeping better.

rebel8:

I do things that are "not productive" but keep me busy. I do intricate artwork

I'm not good at busywork. I do enjoy reading a good novel from time to time.

witness007, please stop hitting on snakes. He is spoken for.

yeah, I am... nice to be "spoken for" after so long not. It felt good to hear my GF tell me the other day when a customer hit on her that she was spoken for... she has a BF.... I got the warm fuzzies hearing that...

w007:

I believe in going drug free so try sex aleast 3 times a day....makes me sleepy and sedated....no, seriously

lol... maybe when we move in together.... meantime, we have to carve out time from our days.... spontaneous is always best...lol

zombie:

you should be able to keep your mind pretty busy

noooo...that's the problem...lol. She wants my mind focused on the hear and now... you propose my current M.O. lol

Exercise is essential, go for a 30-60 min run 3 times a week, that will help with stress and the whole bouncing off the walls thing massively.

she and I have started going to the gym...I have a membership...but rarely go. Now I have someone to go with. We both have excercise goals (mine: regain muscle tone; hers: lthe last few stubborn pounds she wants to lose...I promised her if she did that I would buy that "little black dress" she promised herself if she did it....yeah... I got huuuuge brownie points for that ...lol).

VE:

Let the mind be in service to the heart, not running the show.

I am sooo writing that down and posting it on my refrigerator and computer.

Bee:

Perhaps draw up a Franklin "T" for yourself - pros and cons

I like that idea....but I waaay overanalyze things now....

scully:

Try reading The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

purplesofa recommended that book to me a year or so ago......I ordered it from Amazon...got it.......read about 10 pages...hated it. That stopping every so often and thinking about it? Couldn't do it. Sold it back on Amazon for a small loss...lol

when it's important to focus your thoughts and energy on one single event (like a romantic evening with your girlfriend).

yeah...that's what she is going to help me "work" on....she has no idea the task she is undertaking...lol...good thing she loves me.

heaven:

suggest avoiding high sugar foods and caffeine. Chamomile tea is calming.

even during the 2 years I was completely off caffeine and drank herbal teas....I was still a bouncing... I drink coffee again now..that's how I met Toni.... she drinks 5 times as much coffee as I do. In the evening, I switch to herbal teas...I like Sleepytime (spearmint).

restrangled:

know a guy probably wouldn't want to pick up needlepoint, but its the most relaxing thing I know of.

surprisingly...when I was in my early 20s, I picked up counted cross stitch from my mom...I should have chosen an easier pattern...no patience for it at all.

I am always jumping up and start doing something else. I tell him just keep talking... I can't sit still. When I'm on the phone, I pace, dust, empty a dishwasher etc. Is this the kind of bouncing off the walls you are talking about or something more severe?

E X A C T L Y... last night after we ate (Subway that I brought over..too hot to cook), I got up and did dishes that were in her sink from earlier as we talked....she was sitting, I was standing doing dishes.....she hates doing them and I love it.... ("love it" in that I dont love dishes in the sink...I dont mind doing them).... she really likes that I do the dishes....she didnt like it so much that I was bouncing up to do it instead of sitting next to her at the kitchen table.... though when I got done...then I sat down and we could talk, hold hands, kiss...for 2 hours after.....lol....but the dishes were done..lol.

sigh...... keep em coming...

Snakes ( Rich)

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

i had to fix that last post...OCD ya know.... I had the quote boxes on the same line as the poster instead of the next line...ahhhhaharrghh... lol lol lol lol

Snakes ()

• yknot
    yknot

I am 'high energy' myself....

Here is what I do if I need to be more 'present' for some reason..... (I plan ahead for that moment and consider it similar to a mini vacation!)

So if you know she is coming over and just wants to 'hang' then have some things planned ahead that are 'hang' appropriate.

Popcorn ready to pop, dvds sitting on TV, a lite meal that will need to be started during the 'hangtime' the two of you can do together.

Beyond that ...... mellow in the moment is nice but so is experiencing things....

Why not 'hang' after hiking, biking, or canoeing to the 'hang' destination. Go to a musuem and 'hang' a moment to discuss an interesting piece.

Nintendo.... YUCKY! Do everyone a favor and buy a Wii.... this way 'hangtime' can get 'jumpy'!

Dishes..... you wash, she dries......

Hobbies that are family friendly are a good thing..... is her boy into scouting or sports and can you see you see yourself volunteering for such things.... things that 'tire you out' and 'ready' you for relaxing!

Better to incorporate you natural tendencies then trying to suppress them I say!

If all else fails...... take to giving her massages while parked on the couch!

(Maybe she could explore herself to see if she is to 'seditary' and meet in the middle)

• Nowman
    Nowman

Snakes, you sound normal to me...ummm...maybe I have the same tendencies...I just do not feel like I have to read into it so much...maybe I should...maybe I shouldn't...don't we all have something OCDish? Come on...really...somethimes I think we are too hard on ourselves...life is crazy...no matter who you are...just different...

Nikki

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was going to suggest The Power of Now again to you

another book I read that

You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder

by

Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo

about $16.00

Description

With over a quarter million copies in print, You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! is one of the bestselling books on attention deficit disorder (ADD) ever written. There is a great deal of literature about children with ADD. But what do you do if you have ADD and aren't a child anymore? This indispensable reference -- the first of its kind written for adults with ADD by adults with ADD -- focuses on the experiences of adults, offering updated information, practical how-tos and moral support to help readers deal with ADD. It also explains the diagnostic process that distinguishes ADD symptoms from normal lapses in memory, lack of concentration or impulsive behavior. Here's what's new:

• The new medications and their effectiveness

• The effects of ADD on human sexuality

• The differences between male and female ADD -- including falling estrogen levels and its impact on cognitive function

• The power of meditation

• How to move forward with coaching

And the book still includes advice about:

• Achieving balance by analyzing one's strengths and weaknesses

• Getting along in groups, at work and in intimate and family relationships -- including how to decrease discord and chaos

• Learning the mechanics and methods for getting organized and improving memory

• Seeking professional help, including therapy and medication

Has helped me I think as far as I can go without taking meds.

purps

• restrangled
    restrangled

Snakes....I'm LOL....if you picked up counted cross stitch which I have absolutely no patience for.....I think you'd love, needlepoint.

Seriously. Its the same stitch over and over, and makes for mind numbing peace...I am working on a something that is 3 by 4 feet of Zebras running through the serengeti,.....almost finished. (10 years) between two people....but oh my god is it beautiful.

Let me know what you discover.....you don't need detox, you need a project!

r.

• Scully
    Scully

Snakes,

Maybe the audio version of The Power of Now would be more to your liking. I'm like you... when I'm reading, I just wanna read, dammit. Don't go interrupting me with meditation exercises. But it was actually do-able with the audiobook.

You could always try something like gardening, too. Working a patch of land, cultivating and growing vegetables for your table, has a way of bonding you to the earth... keeping you grounded, so to speak.

For me, knitting and gardening are extremely peaceful and calming activities.

• flipper
    flipper

SNAKES- What hobbies do you have that you enjoy doing ? What hobbies or interests does your girlfriend have that she enjoys doing ? ( Of course- we all like sex ) however, do you both like walking ? Going outdoors to play tennis, swim, running ? How about board games like Scrabble, cards, or Trivial pursuit, or Chess ? Do you like renting movies or listening to music ? I do some of these things I mentioned to unwind as does my wife. Some we do together, some seperate. My wife enjoys gardening , as do I , but she is out there more in the vegetable garden. We also like to always be reading a good book , seperately and together. You just have to figure out what interests you have and enjoy the moment- the here and now. The future will take care of itself - stop and smell the roses - it's the journey as we go that we need to enjoy. Good luck, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit