Please comment on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

by compound complex 34 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings:

The OCD thingy came up hugely in this old thread ... http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/137404/1/Time-and-Distance-a-Guy-Thing

Do you have a touch of the mania?

I'm going on a walk now and timing each segment [ from street sign to street sign].

CoCo OCD

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

I do, obsessive hand washing learned from my mom. I am now downgraded to the normal range, other people don't notice.

I need to load the dishwasher a certain way & always run it full. If I find someone has run it partially loaded , I'm a little flustered. Years back I would have had a major melt down.

Laundry must be sorted my way and full loads only.I can now do a load of a few things if I need to.Only mildly irratated if someone else does a partial or mixed load.

Locking & rechecking doors was also a big problem, but I've over come that.Haven't locked my husband out of the car while he pumps gas in years.Locking the doors bothered him more than finding them unlocked did me.

There were other quirks but it's been so long I can't recall them.

Therapy for PTSD and leaving the cult helped . I don't think their is any harm in these behaviors if they don't interfere with your life.I do think they can be a warning sign something is wrong.

BF

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Blithe:

Thanks for your fascinating overview!

I'm on top of the hand washing compulsion, too. Mostly. I check and recheck for locked doors. I visited friends out of town recently, and, when we left their house to gad about, I locked the second lock instinctively (for which they had no key). Now I allow others to take care of their homes as they see fit!

Will save arrangement of clothes hangers for another time ...

I appreciate your response to the thread.

CoCo

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Don't forget to turn the gas off before you leave. Oh, and if you need me to call you after you've left the house to ask you if you have, just PM me.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, GB:

What a relief to have one such as you available!

Thanks!

CoCo

• shamus100
    shamus100

What I do is make a sign of the cross every time I need to turn on a light, tap, flush the toilet, turn off the television set, etc.

It makes me feel good - real good!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hello Shamus:

Isn't feeling good what it's all about? We all get there but by different roads.

Thanks for popping in!

CoCo

• calico
    calico

I'm sure my husband has it! I wish he would get help--maybe then I wouldn't need medication!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I have it. I was able to reach a fairly good control with herbs. It's a battle at times but I am so much better than 10 years ago when I did not have a clue.

I remember the day when I realized I might have hope. I always had to have carbs all day long. Bags of crackers. Well one day after about 2 weeks of herbs, I looked over my desk and realized I had NOT taken any crackers for the day. I couldn"t believe it. I saw the bag full and I had never reached for it.

I also found that I had more focus to the point of getting my work done b4 the end of the day.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, cal and wha, for telling your stories. I never thought of ingesting any med or herb as a solution. Interesting. Some things do get better, perhaps, with time and by the elimination of other stressful things in our life [namely ...].

I'm sure better than I used to be. Maybe I've outgrown much of it.

Thanks again,

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit