Guys I've been browsing other ex sites (Ex-Mormons, Ex-Scientologist) to see if they have anything near our experience and look what I found

by StoneWall 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

Yes, it is amazing the same devastation to some degree or another to ex-cult members. I have seen ex-Amish site. I just read a true life story of an OOM, old-order Mennonite woman. Their shunning tactics are very similar and a heartbreak for most.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I read some of the comments...eerily familiar. The 'cult' language there is confusing, just as ours was to outsiders...a clear sign of a cult.

It was actually quite a shock to discover attributes in non-scientologists like decency, kindness, consideration, etc.

Slowly I stopped feeling an outsider from ordinary life.

Now I am in harmony with my Scn experience and in harmony with the wonderful non-scn world!

• The Berean
    The Berean

For those who tolerate the Bible,

Solomon stated:"that which has been done, that is what will be done, and so there is nothing new under the sun." Ecclestiastes 1:9 NWT

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I could appreciate this comment from the link

The trouble for me has been that I didn't really like all the parts of my pre-cult identity, and there are parts of my identity I developed as a cult member which wereimprovements over my pre-cult identity.

So sorting those out has been a bit of a process.

• VIII
    VIII

I looked over the Ex-Scientology site.

The ex-cult feelings they have are very similar to what Ex-JWs are feeling and expressing.

As noted above by shamus, I do not believe that standard organized religion and a cult such as the dubs and Scientology can be compared. I have been going to Catholic services on Sunday's and while I cringe at the readings and the speech the Priest gives, no one is required to do anything, nor tithe (though one can) no do communion etc. They encourage education and questioning how and why.

Of course there are people who disagree with the message and change or leave, however, I wouldn't call them a mind controlling cult. Like the JWs.

The Scientology site was like this. People trying to rebuild their lives after leaving.

• The Berean
    The Berean

I'm encouraged that you see the relative nature of damages done by the Witnesses. At times we ASSUME that we would have been better off never to have been associated, yet, by considering pre and post organizational evidence one might conceed that there is good to be gleaned from many inculcations ...

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Wow, so JWs are just another cult like Scientology, Mormons, Moonies, and Republicans. It's all so sad.

• dutchstef
    dutchstef

I'm not surprised......

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Hmmmm, I wonder if it would be beneficial to have a forum where people exiting from any cult could exchange with others and see that common theme. Nah. Then they would start questioning all institutions, including those considered "normal".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit