they never say "bracketed 'other' here" when reading bible either......

by oompa 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa

so that word is added a few times in colossians and there MANY other [bracket] words in the NWT as if that makes it okeydokie...yet when these scriptures are read from any platform or stage, the reader NEVER mentions it...so if some poor WORLDLY person at a convention is just listening and not reading a bible...he has just heard a spurious verse....the same is true on all the WT bible readings on tape or CD....imo if you READ it spurious...then it is spurious.......just a thought as no good dub would EVER admit jws would ever utter such a thing...................................oompa

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Oompa,

Good point.

Also, have you seen the new "updated" New World Translation which removes the brackets completely? It came out in 2007 I believe. I have one. Very deceptive.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi oompa,

Maybe they are worried about these?

Revelation 22:18-19 (New International Version)

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

Deuteronomy 4:2 (New International Version)

2 Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.

Deuteronomy 12:32 (New International Version)

32 See that you do all I command you; do not add to it or take away from it.

5 "Every word of God is flawless;
    he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

6 Do not add to his words,
    or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

All the best,

Stephen

• oompa
    oompa

Undisfellowshipped...was that the Reference bible too?...all nwts?......that is a pretty major change and i heard it but do not have one that new...even with brackets not referenced when reading...it is a change........but WITHOUT them......Big bible changes......geeze.........oompa

• possible-san
    possible-san

β€œIn [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.” JOHN 1:1 (NWT)

Why don't the people of English speaking areas care about "the" of "In [the] beginning"?

Also when you read that, do you say "bracketed 'the' here"?

possible
    http://godpresencewithin.web.fc2.com/

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Also when you read that, do you say "bracketed 'the' here"?

I haven't read your link, ps. But there is a vast difference between translating into another language and adding words for complete sentences, and translating and adding the words you would like to see there (such as "other").

Sure, it can be abused. The "a" in John 1:1 is an example of abuse, but IMO not the "the."

Oompa's point is very valid. It shows that the various Bible translations out there can be used by anyone to misguide and the Bible should not be just casually learned the way JW's teach it. Even people who know about these important differences will argue over them, let alone children and Bible students who just learn WTS snippets of information from the Bible.

• possible-san
    possible-san

John 1:1 (NIV)
    "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

Why is NIV inserting "the" which is not in the Greek text?

• possible-san
    possible-san

Mr. OnTheWayOut.

I understand the thing which you want to say.
    But NWT is using "bracket."

It means that that word is not in the Greek text.
    You have to understand it well.

possible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

From what I gather, adding "the" or "A" or any definite or indefinte article to a passage and using brackets means that the word was added to aid in the "flow and understanding" or said passage, to help with the translation into modern language.

If the passage doesn't require the addition, it shouldn't get one, but if falls on the translators discretion to do so.

• TD
    TD

Greek is not English. One important difference is a fair amount of English prepositions, personal pronouns and relational verbs are subsumed in Greek noun cases. These have to be added by the translator:

And Jesus said [to] him, "Foxes have holes and the birds [of] the heavens [have] nests but the Son [of] man has nowhere to lay [his] head."

The problem is not the presence of the bracketts themselves but whether what is inside the bracketts is justified or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit