Goofy GB illustration someone related to me

by sir82 35 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Metaphors are powerful - and in this case powerfully stupid.

Yes, for decades we have been expected to run, run, run without a moment's thought about where the finishing line is. Rule Number 1: Don't start running until you know hjow far way the finishing line is - otherwise how will you know what you need to do to pace yourself?

Forget about those who have stopped running. What about the poor, tired fools who never stopped running? ...Like my dear now deceased grandparents who spent their whole adult lives running, running, running, running, running...oh, until they literally reached old age when they had the temerity to keel over and die. Damn: despite decades of running, they still never even made the finishing line.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"your team is behind by 6 points and time is nearly expired"

Actually, I think the JWs are behind by way more than 6 points, and their time expired in 1985. So, what's the point of either running or looking for a clock?

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

There's a bigger theme here. That is, when JWs begin to think critically and see flaws in the WT's teachings the tables get turned on them so as to deflect criticism away from JW leadership and place the focus back on to the individual publishers themselves.

This illustration is a good example. It ignores that many of the brothers who have "stopped running" did so, not because they got tired, but because they realized there was never a finish line there to begin with.

After a lengthy indoctrination process, JWs automatically associate questioning or having doubts about doctrine with "only serving Jehovah with a date in mind." So, it stops being about the flaws with the WT and their teachings, and it becomes about the publisher being weak and selfish for not being willing to "wait out this old system" for however long it takes.

It's an effective mind control technique. You deflect criticism away from yourself and make your followers feel guilty all at the same time.

• Poztate
    Poztate

Six points behind... Had to laugh. At best (at the end of time) this would give the "JW Team" a tie with the other Team (Christians)

To win the game you have to kick a one point "Convert" after the six point score. We all know how bad JW's are at making "Converts" these days.

No way they could ever win a game. LOL

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

NEJ said: "You deflect criticism away from yourself and make your followers feel guilty all at the same time."

Billy replied: Hey, don't blame me for repainting the end zone somewhere 45 miles away. YOU are the one that stopped running to check the clock causing everyone in the stadium to die!

• blondie
    blondie

Lucy pulls back the football by niallkennedy.

Charlie Brown just can't win.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke
    A football game that lasts 2000 years?

That's ridiculous!

But if he was talking about cricket on the other hand.....

Pope

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Same old marketing scheme to get people to buy and sell their literature , how teemingly redundant.

It seems they just cant think of another way to keep people in control and subjective to their will.

Fear and guilt , fear and guilt and the dumb JWS eat this up with glee " You know something could be happening very soon "

Now would the true Faithful and Discrete Slave bullshit for this long?

Its been more than a hundred years, thats one hell of a long game, don't you think.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I can verify that this was an actual illustration given at an assembly. I was there a year ago and heard it myself. Fortunately for me I knew enough by then to see it for the B.S. it is.

Stop moving the goalposts!

• shamus100
    shamus100

QUESTION: So what do you think? Are you all inspired now to go out and run, run, run?

Answer: HELL NO! I hate cricket.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit