Crafts

by mrsjones5 22 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

When I was growing up in the bOrg I didn't see much in the way of craftmaking except for a few who knew how to sew. No one that I knew at any of the halls I went to knitted or crocheted or tatted or did much in the needle arts other than sewing. I was introduced to knitting by a "worldly" woman who was my brother's nurse.

Maybe this is just something I noticed and is limited to my bOrg experience.

Josie

• compound complex
    compound complex

Josie:

Idle hands are the Devil's workshop.

So, let's get those digits a flying! What better way to wile away the time than at the Kingdom Hall during a stultifying talk. Mom can provide for the clothing needs of her many children by killing two birds with one stone: 1) save her otherwise dissipating sanity and 2) see her brood nattily clad so as to bring no reproach on God's clean organization.

If Mom's truly clever, she wil give the appearance of taking notes as she tats or crochets or knits away ... knit one, purl two....

CoCo Crotchety

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Ya, Mom might not have any need for those AD pills. Keeping my hands busy sure helps me keep my sanity...almost done with that baby afghan.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I have found as I go through life that a lot of people just aren't artistic. I have to actively seek those that are. I am glad my life has been surrounded by artists. I am pleased to walk that path myself.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I knit, crochet, sew, needlepoint, paint, draw and I'm a trained chef. My new job is doing live cooking lessons and food demos in a big grocery store.

But, I've sold my needlecrafts for money a time or two.

• restrangled
    restrangled

MrsJones,

I love needle work! I learned from my next door neighbor when I was about 28 to do needlepoint. When I was younger my mom and I bought a book and did a beautiful pillow together,.....(while we were witnesses) but we knew no one else who did it. We finished the pillow and that was the end of it.

I hate sewing....was forced to drop art freshman year after winning a few showings in an art fair to learn sewing in the early 70's. (Art had to wait for the new order)

I still can't stand sewing...hate hate hate it! (probably because of all the knee length skirts my mother sewed for me)...all that were available were minis, and JW's were not allowed those!

r

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

My Daughter and little Sis are totally into crafts..They`re good at it too!...........................OUTLAW

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

We learned to knit, crochet, do needlepoint and sew as kids. My mom thought it was a great pasttime for us. We used knit\crochet gifts for folks in the hall. I think it depends on if your mom did it growing up.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

This isn't technically a "craft", but I have experienced alot of healing and self-esteem from learning flamenco dancing for the last 4 years.

I think alot less JW's would need anti-depressants if they had some kind of hobby.

It's too bad hobbies are frowned on in the truth......I was given alot of flak for learning flamenco - "Isn't that where you dance on tables?" ( NO.)

"Isn't that like strip tease?" (NO.)

"Don't you think you could better spend that time by going in service?" (NO, some people go to the gym. I flamenco.)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I love to dance

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit