so i have really decided to lay off religion with my hardcore jw wife...

by oompa 35 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's great to have one year of sobriety, but it's more important to have TODAY SOBER.

It's the only way to get to the year.

• chickpea
    chickpea

ohhhh oompa!

do whatever it is you have to do
    to get sober and stay that way!

i am looking at less than half a year
    to reach my 20th year of sobriety....
    a tidy cumulative number, indeed
    but the real joys occur everyday

even facing horrific circumstances,
    i know a lack of sobriety would only
    make them worse...

YOU CAN FACE YOUR LIFE!
    i swear it to be truer than the truth!

• homeschool
    homeschool

I would strongly recommend getting help through counseling and/or AA. I went to AA for a year and it really helped. Don't get overwhelmed and think you can't drink for the rest of your life, because it doesn't have to be a lifelong thing. You've just got to make it through TODAY. Also, it might be a scary thought, but starting on an anti depressant/anxiety medication may also be very helpful in this tough and stressful time. Once again, its not something you have to do for the rest of your life, but it could really help you get by. A friend of mine really benefited from Wellbutrin XL, about 400mgs..... He said it evened his moods/stress out.

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

AA and Alanon meetings helped me a lot.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

OOmpa, I love you friend and I am so glad you are dumping the booze. It never helped and you and your wife deserve more.

I am thinking of you today! Happy Father's day!!!

• choosing life
    choosing life

Good luck with sobriety, Oompa. I'm afraid for you. Alcohol addiction becomes a physical/mental disease. Good intentions and personal resolve are necessary, but more is needed. You will become physically sick without the alcohol and you need treatment and support.

Cybersupport is definitely not enough. You need to get into treatment for both the physical and mental aspects of the disease. You must treat both sides of the issue at the same time. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the tendrils are not deeply imbedded into all aspects of your life.

Please get the help you need and deserve. Your life will be so much better without it and you deserve to have that better life along with your family. Do it before you damage your relationships with your wife/children beyond repair.

Best wishes to you. cl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit