Brag about your garage sale, thrift shop, e-bay bargain finds thread

by FlyingHighNow 39 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yeah, my kids enjoy it too.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    I found a book at Deseret Books (LDS thrift store) that cost me $1 and which made me about $250.00 on Ebay. That was my best ever bargain. I once got a great food dehydrator at a thrift store for $5 that would be about 60.00 new. I ended up selling it later at MY garage sale when I moved because I really didn't use it much-but I had great intentions:)

Ahhh! If you find any more book deals like that, let me know!! I'm building up my library of hardback books (fiction, reference, art.. most anything non-religious). There are some books I'd pay well for (just , not $250 :P). The leather bound edition of the Count of Monte Cristo by Easton Press is high on my list right now. (Speaking of books, what ever happened to the Penguin Classics complete Unabridged translation of The Thousand and One Nights?)

- Lime

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

SBF, I have sold used books before and did ok, but it was very demanding of my space as I would keep moving up in price-they generally sell a little slower. Then Ebay got really stupid-the charges and system changed so much it didn't seem worth the trouble to use it anymore. Amazon is a great venue, I love it. Once I got past the lots of romance books (which actually were kind of fun to sell and sometimes more profitable than one would think) and moved up the food chain, it took a lot more work and was sometimes surprisingly profitable. Then the thrift stores kind of discovered Amazon. I'd love to do it again. . . once my husbands ugly saab moves out of the garage permanently-well, I don't really want this to be contingent on my husbands demise, but that is likely the only way I will get control of the garage:) Maybe when some kids move out???

Seattle is a great place for books!

• FlyingHighNow
  • m.seagull
    m.seagull

my husband and i both sell on ebay here and there. i tend to gravitate towards finding vintage or current designer clothing for a few bucks and selling them for a profit. he finds books, stamps, vinyl records, etc.

it's a good way to supplement an income methinks. for myself, i love yard sales, trouble is, i've collected too much and need to have a yard sale of my own now.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I always have to ask myself at garage sales or shopping, "Do I need this? Do I want to take care of it?"

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I haven't been to a garage sale in years. I need to have one of my own first to get rid of my clutter. Then I'll be in a position to add some new clutter.

W

• loosie
    loosie

I love thrift stores. We only have three in town here. DAV, Goodwill and Salvation army. I usually vist them 3 times a week.

Some things I sell on ebay. I got a carrom board for $4.00 sold it for $30 on ebay. I recently got a cast iron egg poacher and a corn bread cast iron skillet that sell for $35, I paid $8. I got a bandu game ( its like jenga but the pieces are different shapes) I got it for $3 and it sells for $30 on ebay because milton bradley doesn't make the game anymore.

What I like do to is get mugs for my daughters teachers, usually with a teacher theme. When teacher appreciation week rolls around I fill a plastic bag with their favorite candy and bingo I have a teacher appreciation gift.

just this week I got a purse for $2.00. Brand new not a mark on it. I just love it, it's so cute.

I also have gotten lots of yarn and knitting needles at great prices. Last year I found a weave-it loom. it was popular in the 40's and 50's. i got two of them for $2.00. they sell on ebay for over $40.00 each. I cant decide if I want to keep it or sell it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Very, cool, Loosie. Isn't it fun? The first knitting needles I owned were wooden with red wooden balls on the ends. They came in a plastic bag fool of neat toys my mother bought for us at Goodwill. My sister traded with me as I was only 5 and she was 13.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"The first knitting needles I owned were wooden with red wooden balls on the ends. "

I have a pair of knitting needles just like that. When I decided I wanted to learn to knit and crochet I went around to all the second thirft stores I could find between El Sobrante and Redwood City CA looking fob needles, yarn, knitting and crochet mags and booklets, and leaflets. I've amassed quite a collection on the cheap and a really funky knitting needle carrier too.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit