Brag about your garage sale, thrift shop, e-bay bargain finds thread

by FlyingHighNow 39 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I love to find bargains. Good quality items/products at very low prices. My idea about decorating is "Looks expensive: costs a dime." Made that up, but you can use it.

Do you love to shop for bargains on e-bay, the above mentioned places? Please, please share. Treasures and finds are more fun when you can share or brag. This is your place to brag. Please brag!

My latest finds:

• Free Community Garden plot for Julian and me to grow vegetables
    • An expensive fabric shower curtain, blue, olive green, warm purple plaid with ties for $3 at Love's Treasures thrift shoppe
    • A curling iron and hair dryer @ a thrift shop
    • A beautiful, flowering plant in hanging basket for my patio for $6.99 off a farmer's truck at the gas station. It's lush, mature, has orange-ish blossoms that cascade. I forget what its called.
    • A complete vintage Monopoly game on 1/2 price off games day at Love's Treasures for $1.25
    • A cute hunter green with embossed sunflowers, solid green with shade little lamp for this comuter desk. On 25% off lamps day at Love's Treasures. The lamp was $5
    • Two red and black folding canvass Coleman brand chairs and a folding glass table at Wal-mart for my patio for a total of under $60. The chairs have a mesh inset to keep your neck and back cool, but an unexpected bonus is that from the sofa, you can see the scenery through them.

Once we got a beautiful coffee table book about Vincent Van Gogh that includes photographs of him. I call my grandson my little Van Gogh because his art has always had movement like Vincent's work. They have a special way of seeing that causes their work to be unique in that sense. So I wanted the book for him and thought it would be $8, but there was a buy a book for 75% off day that we unaware of going on. So we paid just $2 for it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

If you wanna take pictures and share, it would be cool. If Julian can get his digital camera working and I can get a program to share. I'll share.

You show me yours, I'll show you mine. Hehe.

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

FHN one of the bargains I clearly remember was a large bowl I found at a thrift shop. It was down on the bottom shelf in amongst all the glass bowls. I knew it was actually crystal. It cost $2. When I got out to the car I looked at it more closely and found it was Stuart Crystal - very expensive. I have found many, many bargains over the years but that one sticks in my mind.

Hopscotch

• beksbks
    beksbks

I'm into paint right now, I have brought new life to a super pair of barstools I got for 25.00 for the two, and a ratty old bookcase. They look fantastic!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Oooooo, I want to see them, girls. Dare I say Andy found me a program that converts youtube videos into MP3's for my listening pleasure. I currently have Tears for Fears Head Over Heels playing and it sounds fantastic.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Ooo now, The Theme from Peter Gunn from The Blues Brothers movie is playing. DVD Soft Free Studio, inventor(s), I love you!

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

Another couple I remember.

A chest of drawers I bought secondhand for $19. It was covered in layers and layers of paint and contact (stick on vinyl paper). After weeks of paint stripping and cleaning it turned out to be a beautiful piece of old furniture. I found the original shipping sticker still on the back - it was shipped to Australia from England in the 1920's.

And an old dressing table and matching stool for $29. Again covered in layers of paint. This one turned out to be an old Queen Ann dresser made from Rosewood. Even had the piece of glass to cover the top still on it. It looked beautiful after it was done up.

I just remembered a set of three antique jugs I found at a garage sale for $3.

Hopscotch

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Isn't it great that we don't give a flying flip what the JW's think about possibly buying demonic used stuff?

• Namaste
    Namaste

I bought this at a sale 2 weekends ago.

Doctor's Office - Medical Kit

http://www.toystogrowon.com/sku705

Stuff wasn't priced so I asked the guy if he would take $2 for it. I figured he didn't know that it retails for $50. He said yes and the kids have been playing with it constantly.

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

a book for a few dollars: "The Greatest Book on DIspensational Truth in the World" by Clarence Larkin. 1918, dust cover intact. First of all, gotta love that title! Who would name their own book that? Do you think he was a jerk in real life? It has a few pages of those pyramid charts in the back, i kid you not. Creeps me out.

an original Risk game for $2.99 from Goodwill just a few weeks ago. Original wooden pieces, instructions, mint condition. My brother in law wanted it, so i gave it to him, as i'm not a Risk fan. I just thought it looked pretty interesting.

I have tried to teach the kids how cool it is to shop at thrift stores. Some bought it, and some didn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit