Where is the Love

by dearone 25 Replies latest jw friends

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Raymond Franz's quote there always reminds me of what Christ said of the teachers of the Law in his time:

"How terrible for you, you teachers of the law and you Pharisees. You hypocrites! You clean the outside of your cup and plate while the inside is full of what you have gotten by violence and selfishness. Blind Pharisee, clean what is inside the cup first and then the outside will be clean too."

Matthew 23:25, 26

Some might think Jehovah's Witnesses are not violent, but upholding a non scriptural teaching like refusing life saving blood is no different than murder. Coercion, bullying and contempt are the attitudes that can lead to murder.

Jesus spoke of those who addressed a brother with an unspeakable word of contempt, that it made one liable for Gehenna. I've seen that sort of contempt shown to those brothers and sisters Witnesses feel are not "good enough" or towards those they deem as "ungodly" "worldly" or "apostate".

There's no basis for that contemptuous attitude in the scriptures at all.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome, Dearone:

As you can see, many of us relate precisely to what you have stated as your personal experience. Stay here and grow with us.

CoCo

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome, Dearone!

I have found people of different religions such as Penticostal to be extremely loving and kind.

Yes, I have found the same thing. Amazing, isn't it, what you discover when you look outside the circle of your own existence. I work with all kinds of different people (Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Gay, Lesbian, Catholic) and all have been very loving, wonderful, and genuine people. None of them are perfect... but neither am I. One of my biggest challenges in life is to eliminate the judging taught to me by my parents, and to adopt compassion and love for others. It takes a conscious and physical effort but I'm working on it.

I will not abide by rules and regulations that are not scriptural.

Yes, the WTS likes to make up some of their own rules that have no scriptural justification. The rules of the Bible were broken, though, even by Christ. I learned from this that there are exceptions to the rules and that love and principled action come first, above any rule. When I read Stephen Covey's "7 Habits Of Highly Effective People" and "First Things First" I saw how the information in these 2 books aligned so well with the teachings of Jesus Christ. The rules and regulations of the WTS do not. So what is needed for human beings to thrive is NOT available with the WTS. There is nothing loving, tolerant, or patient when rules and regulations squelch principles.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi dearone,

Welcome aboard!

Great post :) Here's some things I noticed.

Hi I'm Dearone I have been reading here for quite some time. Presently am an active Witness in good standing with two teenage daughters. What originally brought me her was disillusion with the lack of love I experienced in the congregations I have attended. I was treated soooo badly by different sisters on many occasions that I really started to question whether or not this was the truth. The identifying mark is love, yet there is very little. It got to the point that I even wondered if something was wrong with me. But when I started to express my feelings to my friends in different congregations they all had similar expriences as myself, some even worse.

So many scriptures on God's love but 1 Corinthians 13 is got to be the best-maybe my favorite passage of all time :)

1 Corinthians 13 (New International Version)
    Love
    1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails.

I have found people of different religions such as Penticostal to be extremely loving and kind. I know it's not an act because I work with them for many years eight hours a day so the true person would have to come out. But I just attend meetings a few hours a week and boy did I see some of the nastiest people in the Hall.

The thing is it should flow out of you, never have to be worked up.

John 7:37-39 (New International Version)

37 On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." 39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Right now I consider myself independant. What I mean by that is I will continue to serve my heavenly father but I will not abide by rules and regulations that are not scriptual. I used to be the one who did whatever FDS said go left, I went left, go right I would turn right do the hokey pokey, whatever was asked of me. But I am not that person anymore. I do believe that there is a lot of good and some real sincere and genuine loving friends but that is not the rule.

Good! God gave you a brain to think and wisdom to know what it right. After all, we have eaten the fruit of from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil! Sincerity is not an issue. My JW friends are nice people and sincere but sincerity is not the test, knowing Jesus is Matthew 7:22-24

I don't believe the blood issue is correct. When I was a baby I had a transfusion that saved my life. I just can't see how Jehovah would rather I be dead. It makes no sense. Also my daughter snuk? and went to a birthday party of one of her schoolmate and when I found out I wasn't upset that she went to that party, just that she lied to me. So I let her know that all I want is honesty and that if she wants to experince life don't hide it from me. I understand where she is coming from. My kids are also free to associated with good worldly kids.

The "no blood" issue is not only wrong but worse. God gives life and it is precious and valuable. He values your life! You are not called "dearone" for nothing :)

I don't know what the future holds for me I did have one foot out the door but I just take life one day at a time. I love God and Jesus plays an integral part in my life. There is not enough enphasis of Christ.

Amen! Focus on Him and things will fall into place. This is a good verse :)

John 14:21 (New International Version)

21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

In fact the whole of John 14 is awesome John 14

I'll leave you with this passage for now :)

Jeremiah 29:11-14 (New International Version)

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."

Keep us posted :)

Love in Christ.

All the best,

Stephen

• chickpea
    chickpea

hope you find your experience here
    will shed some light on the vagaries
    of the doctrines espoused by the WTBS

welcome aboard, mate

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Well written post. Welcome aboard.

• yknot
    yknot

I am happy you decided to finally join our little club!

The 'cooling off' has been growing for years among the 'friends'.

I look forward to your comments!

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Welcome. You'll find others here who left the Org for the same reasons you did.

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

Welcome to the board. You will find many here who share your experiences and who will offer you their support.

• flipper
    flipper

DEARONE- Welcome to the board friend ! You are among people who care and have been treated unjustly like yourself by people in the Jehovah's Witnesses under the control of the WT society. I too learned after 44 years of being in the organization that I would not tolerate or " abide by rules and regulations that are not scriptural". I received faulty counsel from elders to accept back a drug addicted wife which would have put my witness daughters in danger had I accepted the ex-wife back into our home. The elders told me to visit my daughters in a park at a neutral location so my druggie wife wouldn't feel uncomfortable in my witness daughters presence. So- Like yourself this was an eye opener to me as well that JW elders many times give out their personal opinions as counsel to members instead of Biblical counsel. So it proved to me that holy spirit has nothing to do with their appointments ! Otherwise- they'd give us the correct Biblical counsel- right ?

Look forward to your posts to come ! Welcome, and feel free to vent- you'll get lots of support here ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit