OFFICIAL-WT&AWAKE SUBSCRIPTIONS NO MORE

by lookin 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

My mother happened to miss that meeting. I was the one who informed her about this today. She raised her eyebrows and said,"Where did you hear THAT?" and I told her "the same online board I got the information about the Theocratic book and the UN on." I have not been to a meeting in almost 4 years and I know just as much as what is going on without having to sit through a meeting.

Really, though, it may be a good idea because maybe they will be actually printing less magazines because there may be many that will not bother to accept magazines if it means getting a visit every two weeks or once a month.

I for one, can get them any time from my family. However, I wonder now if the society will diret the witnesses not to give out mags to inactive family membets unless they go to the hall.

• teejay
    teejay

My wife told me that they announced it at her hall Thursday. I thought it was cool that I knew she did and I don't go to the mtgs. Got a perverse thrill outta that. Anyway...

She wanted to know why I thought was the reason for the change. Was it to save money? One thing I learned in marketing class was that the costs of distribution doesn't change regardless of the number of links between producers and consumers. The SOCIETY will save money, but it's an expense that won't disappear. It will simply be passed on to the r/f. So, the cost savings is no doubt one of the reasons for the demise of subscriptions.

I told her that there were many people -- current non-JW subscribers -- who are about to go from never seeing JWs at their door to all of a sudden having personal contact with them from two to four times a month, each and every month. If they want to continue reading the mags and have no other option of receiving them, it's going to be a fact of life that they open up themselves and members of their families to a sales call where in the past that didn't happen.

The advantage to the Society is that instead of making 'cold' sales calls in the door to door work, the Corporation's foot soldiers (aka "publishers of the good news") will be able to make 'warm' or even 'hot' sales calls on these subscribers, increasing the possibility of bible studies, ergo converts. By making these personal contacts, these salesmen... um... I mean publishers will be able to gently persuade the householder "to examine the truths they are learning in a free home bible study." (I can hear the spiel even now!)

If somebody wants to continue to read the mags and NOT want to deal with dubs every week, there are ways around the sales maneuver, of course, but I think that's the thinking in Brooklyn. Along with the monetary savings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit