2009 Drama - Kudos to Bethel. Sorry.

by Open mind 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Prov1320
    Prov1320

I have a morbid curiosity to see the last few minutes of the drama, and actually more so to see the expressions of people's face. Did anyone record it? If so, please post the last few minutes (only) on youtube and let us know.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Funny thing is, the WT actually behaves like the mean brother that stayed home and not the loving father.

BTS

• Open mind
    Open mind

OTWO nailed it.

• NINfan05
    NINfan05

this was the WORST drama EVER. so lame, so unreal. i tried to explain how i thought it was unrealistic and very poorly written and they got so offended

and started to immediately change the subject saying "the end is sooo close" etc...etc...etc....... shoot me in the head PLEASE!!!

• NINfan05
    NINfan05

i meant to mention i was talking to my family on my last post... oops

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

I think they're trying to make parents whose children have left the cult feel they still have hope. A lot of witnesses will have put themselves in the place of the characters and it's just another case of reassuring the sheep that everything's going to be OK. Just another way of stirring up people's emotions and keeping them under control......

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

in this bad economy how can parents afford to let their kids pioneer and help their kids financially get thru life without having a full time job?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Wait...they seriously used the prodigal son parable to depict youths who had left returning to the organization? Really? Was the main character someone who underwent disfellowshipping when he or she left? If so, it would be funny to see how that person is treated in the Drama when he or she returned to the kingdom hall. Funny thing is that I don't recall the prodigal son having the prove his repentance to his father.

• sir82
    sir82
    Was the main character someone who underwent disfellowshipping when he or she left?

I haven't seen it, but I recall some other post mentioning that off-stage, the kid is "privately reproved" by a committee, so when he shows up at the Kingdom Hall, it is perfectly acceptable to love bomb him.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    the kid is "privately reproved" by a committee, so when he shows up at the Kingdom Hall, it is perfectly acceptable to love bomb him.

Ha, I thought so.

If true, whoever wrote that drama should go back and reread the parable. The father believed the son to have been dead. Being privately reproved doesn't cut it. The kid would have to be dead to the organization, i.e. disfellowshipped. The parable makes the point that the son lived a debauched lifestyle (v. 13, 30). He spent all his money on prostitutes over a period of time -- precisely the kind of behavior that should get one disfellowshipped, one would think. The brother and the father knew fully well about these lifestyle choices (v. 30-32), it was no secret to them. The JW analogy would involve a youth who openly lived "immorally" as defined by the Society. It isn't a matter of going out to get an education or trying to make a decent career for oneself. The son squandered his money on his "wild living" and reached the point of desperation. The analogy should instead involve kids who have been disfellowshipped from the organization on account of their "immorality", those who are viewed as dead at Armageddon and who lived for a period of time in perceived "wild living", but who then come back to their families and congregation in their time of need. Would a person who had just recently lived "immorally" be accepted with such open arms? Would the elders treat him right away with honor and rejoicing (v. 22-23), holding a big congregational gathering to celebrate his return and helping him reach out of his state of desperation, whether helping him find work or assist him in other tangible ways? Would he be treated with such honor that those faithful JWs who always follow the rules may feel a tinge of jealousy (v. 28-30), that they have never received such recognition in all their years of faithful service?

A drama depicting this, I would like to see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit