2009 Drama - Kudos to Bethel. Sorry.

by Open mind 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• flipper
    flipper

LEOLAIA- I see your point. And it is a good one. Once again the WT society is misapplying this prodigal son illustration to just young ones who get involved with the world by working, careers, college - not keeping company with prostitutes like the illustration meant ! So - by extension the WT society is using mind control to instill into JW's that just not attending meetings, pursuing a career outside the organization, or going to college is just as bad as committing immorality with a prostitute ! Sly dogs that they are - next thing you know they'll start DFing people for countless numbered perceived offenses- marrying a non-witness, attending college, having a career , you know Satanic things like that ! Ridiculous

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah. But it's not just the misapplication of the illustration but also the way they do treat people who had been disfellowshipped for "immorality". These people are not treated in the same spirit as the father does in the parable. Disfellowshipped persons must prove their repentance and often experience a kind of cold, unloving treatment that is out of harmony with the actions of the father in the parable.

• mraimondi
    mraimondi

if they are still mouthing words from a tape =

fail

• Open mind
    Open mind

I've just got a quick minute to make a couple points:

1. The underlying messages are as lame as they've ever been.

2. The production values were better than ever, IMO. They actually had cops in fairly realistic looking uniforms. The interlude music between scenes was sort of New Agey, Enya, Clannad, etc. I'm no longer a big New Age fan, but hey that's a big step for the WT. There was one scene where they were at a club and it started with some electronic, trance-type music.

3. Some of the moral lessons were legit, IMO. Most parents don't want their kids sleeping around, driving drunk, hanging out with liars who turn on them when the chips are down, moving in with a loser moocher who thinks he's going to make the world's next big video game. That's what made the drama so effective, IMO. There were good points made that most non-JW parents would agree with and then the WT bullsh*t was folded into the mix.

4. JWs who normally don't fawn over dramas are fawning over this one. At least where I live.

om

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

What day is this drama?

• Open mind
    Open mind

Sunday afternoon. Right after lunch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit