Were your kids distressed after time with JWs?

by hamsterbait 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• nevergonnab1
    nevergonnab1

My youngest child went to stay with his grandparents over the weekend once and came home and wouldn't eat anything, wouldn't go outside, wouldn't drink anything but Kool-aid, wouldn't sleep at night, and would not leave my side because he was told that we were all going to die soon. This was told to him repeatedly over the one weekend. I had to deal with this fear from him for two weeks, it finally got to the point that I had to tell him I was going to spank him just to get him to take a small bite of anything. If that's what happens in just a weekend I can only imagine what happens to a person over a lifetime.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

hamsterbait...I think your story is more common than people would think.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't think this is made up or even embellished. It is likely that the witless relatives threatened that, unless the child became a witless too, that they would die (the parents, also). They do their utmost to plant the fear of normal things, such as touching a Christmas tree, into children (and make them afraid unless they go out in field circus). They will do this so they can get the child to pester the parents to study with the witlesses so they can live.

Not all children are going to take it that seriously. Some will check it out, perhaps at church or online. Others will not give a f***. Still others will forget it after a single exposure. However, the point is that some will in fact be terrorized into believing the lies after even a single exposure--the point being to hound the parents to become Jehovah's Witlesses. Such a death threat can be extremely traumatic to the children, similar to seeing the World Trade Center fall. And, if they are taken literally, such behavior is actually to be expected.

Not to mention that there is always a chance that the witless in question is a pedophile and no one knows it.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@ Reniaa;

I truly dislike this type of thread it is is demonising witnesses and there many hate atrocities throughout history of what happens when you start thinking a people are unfit for contact with other humans. where do you stop? Should you gather witnesses together to keep them from their contaminating influence or should you ban the religion and make it impossible for anyone to worship Jehovah?

Hi, how are you doing? Good weekend?

At my last meeting, a 7 year old boy answered up at the Watchtower study with the following answer;

"All the boys at school are bad and are going to die at Armageddon."

Who taught him that? His parents.

Who is demonising Witnesses? Us, or them by their actions and teachings?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

PP, I heard a similar comment at the meeting from a four year old a couple of months back.

My daughter was afraid of churches after her gran told her they were "naughty" and "we mustn't go in them. She would get frightened when she heard church bells ringing. Reniaa I don't care if you believe me or not.

• Anne
    Anne

Most of us aren't saying we should confine them from society, we're also not saying they can't preach. What we're saying is they can't preach to our children. The faith is too damaging. I personally have the one strike your out rule. My father, sister, and brothers have no unsupervised visits. They have proven to not respect boundaries. My mom is a different case. If it wasn't for my dad dragging her in she would not be a Witness, and now her whole social world revolves around being a Witness. She knows the repercussions if she tries to "Witness" to my kids. I have spelled it out. For her it would be bleak.

I personally don't really care what sky god they worship, as long as I don't have to hear about it or participate. All I ask is the same respect, but I demand it for my minor children

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I was roundly shunned by my 12 year old nephew at my brother-in-law's wedding last Friday. We used to be close, but whenever we passed by (my daughter was dragging me around after her while she played with her cousins) he would quickly avert his eyes from me. My wife believes that's a decision he's made himself.

She could be right. He's being raised in a religion where churches are evil, are part of the satanic Babylon the Great and anyone who willingly goes to church is a wicked person who is going to die at Armageddon. His uncle and his aunt now fall into that category (plus we're apostates).

Or it could be his parents are indoctrinating this into him.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

To address the question the OP posted (and not to be sidetracked by Reniaa's myopic bletherings), my son was deeply affected when we left the Witnesses. We had to speak to his teacher and the head teacher at his school to explain his sudden change in behaviour. He'd suffer panic attacks if he heard things like heavy machinery in the distance as he'd think it was Armageddon starting.

I should point I, we never, ever stressed Armageddon to him when we were Witnesses. I refused to study the WTS approved publications and would always speak about Jesus in our family study, or focus on something fun like nature and the planet.

So, where did he pick up the Armageddon anxiety?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

double post

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

triple post

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit