Greed Blinds JW Elder To Planned Suicide

by MadApostate 26 Replies latest jw friends

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Investigation continues into deaths of man, woman found in Waco motel

By PAUL MONIES
    Tribune-Herald staff writer

The manager of a Waco motel where two bodies were found Sunday said police told him a suicide note was found in the room.
    "We're treating the deaths as questionable until the investigation says otherwise," said Steve Anderson, Waco police spokesman.

Police received a call at 5:17 a.m. Sunday to check a room at the Travel Inn in Waco, Anderson said. When officers arrived, they found a woman dead with a gunshot wound and a man's body that was partially decomposed, Anderson said.
    Investigators were still waiting on preliminary autopsy results Tuesday, Anderson said. The woman was identified by a motel employee as Patricia Johnston. The man's name was still uncertain as of press time.

Anderson did say Johnston and the man were in their 40s or 50s and were from the East Coast.

The manager of the motel, John Patel, said Tuesday police told him they had found a handwritten suicide note from Johnston to him. Patel said she had written that she was sorry she had to kill herself in the room and had left money for the clean up.

Patel said he had records showing that a call to the main Waco police number ? not 9-1-1 ? originated from the couple's room at 5:14 a.m. Sunday. Police officials would not confirm that Tuesday.
    Patel said the couple checked in Sept. 9 and had told employees they were from New York City.

Motel employee Brandy Irvin said she had talked with Johnston several times but that the couple always had a "Do not disturb" sign on their door. She said Johnston last had housekeeping clean the room Nov. 10.

"If they have the sign out, we respect their privacy," Irvin said. "We hadn't any problems with them before and they'd been here two months. They paid the weekly rent promptly in cash."

Irvin said she had last seen Johnston on Saturday but had not seen the man since the previous Sunday, Nov. 11.

"The whole of last week, we never saw him," Irvin said. "I never would have dreamed something like this would have happened."

Irvin said she now noticed several signs that Johnston may have planned to kill herself. Johnston had her dog euthanized several weeks ago and recently donated her 2000 Ford Mustang to Jehovah's Witnesses, she said.

A Waco church representative, George Norris, said that he had been contacted by the national headquarters of the church to act as a local contact after Johnston told church officials she wanted to contribute her car and some of her estate to the church.

"I met with her and she signed the papers," Norris said. "It's a very sad thing that happened. I did go over there and try to talk her into quitting smoking, because the room was very smoky. I think she had terminal lung cancer."

The motel's night desk clerk, Ernest, who did not give his last name, said the man had told him the couple had an apartment in midtown Manhattan, just 10 blocks from the site of the World Trade Center.

"He said he was looking forward to going home, even though he said their apartment still had dust in it from the collapse of the towers," Ernest said.

Paul Monies can be reached at [email protected] or at 757-5751.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

very sad.
    Randy

• messenger
    messenger

"Irvin said she now noticed several signs that Johnston may have planned to kill herself. Johnston had her dog euthanized several weeks ago and recently donated her 2000 Ford Mustang to Jehovah's Witnesses, she said.

"A Waco church representative, George Norris, said that he had been contacted by the national headquarters of the church to act as a local contact after Johnston told church officials she wanted to contribute her car and some of her estate to the church.

"I met with her and she signed the papers," Norris said. "It's a very sad thing that happened. I did go over there and try to talk her into quitting smoking, because the room was very smoky. I think she had terminal lung cancer."

Well it was good they got the papers signed so WT could get their cut and especially the compassion of Brother Norris by no doubt confirming her low self-esteem with the smoking counsel. I guess the "hiding place from the wind" means you get the paperwork for the money first and to hell with the smoker.

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Its ashame this reporter didn't follow up on the stupdity that is oozing from this story.

Not only was this Elder blinded to the impending suicide in his haste to earn Brooklyn's favor by getting their hands on these pitiful folk's assets, but all he could even think to do positively for them was to vomit the WTS position against smoking to someone he thought was terminal from cancer.

More evidence of mind control and that JWs are a cult.

Where the f___ was the common sense and decency that a worldly person would have in these circumstances?

• joelbear
    joelbear

The

"I think she had terminal lung cancer." statement sounds to me like his CYA story for accepting this poor woman's contributions.

These guys are smart.

Joel

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

You guys are reaching. And it makes you look stupid.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

EVERYONE PLEASE SLOW DOWN!

First of all, while this report is valid and true, it only gives limited details concerning the conversation between the woman and the elder.

It says "he encouraged her to quit smoking". So what? Does that automatically imply his only interest was in securing the estate and performing his "special assignment" from Bethel?

Maybe the incident (no matter how sad) might not warrant FULL IN-DEPTH COVERAGE (like reporting more details about the elder, her relationship with the local JW's and the conversation) with all of the other "news worthy" topics of the day, has anyone thought about that before we draw our swords? Just a thought to let things develop and wait or search for more information before making judgments, that's all. It serves all of us better and is more helpful.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Possibly so Naeblis,

But I'm just picturing a JW elder meeting with a woman to sign papers who smokes and is therefore not even a witness and wondering why in the world a person would unquestionably take what was probably close to 100% of someone's assets and give it to an organization.

Most long time faithful JW's don't even do this.

We obviously don't have all the facts, but it sure smells.

Joel

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I agree with Naeblis on this. You're reading a huge amount into this story, and it mostly sounds like sour grapes. To blame the elder's "greed" for this person's suicide is ridiculous, as though he could read her intentions from these actions. They could simply have been her way of preparing for the inevitable if she had cancer.

As far as his counseling her - that's just an elder's way of keeping up his asshole quotient. Some of those boys couldn't resist a chance to "counsel" someone if their life depended on it.

S4

• joelbear
    joelbear

I'm not sure why this one is sticking in my craw the way it is.

I'm picturing this elder sitting down with a 50 year old chain smoking woman and handing her a stack of papers to sign over her car to him when she's living in a motel.

Sorry, but I find this an extremely odd scenario.

Joel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit