Are you a Binitarian?

by reniaa 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• reniaa
    reniaa

I have had loads of discussion on here with so-called trinitarians that constantly refer to John 1:1 as proof of trinity! but it only talks about the word (jesus) and The God so what happened to the holy ghost?

If you only use proof that Jesus is divine in your texts doesn't that make you a binitarian?

Binitarianism is a Christian theology of two personae, two individuals, or two aspects in one Godhead (or God), as opposed to one (Unitarianism) or three (Trinitarianism). Classically, it is understood as strict monotheism — that is, that God is an absolutely single being; and yet there is a "twoness" in God. While bitheism is two separate beings in one "God family" who are in perfect harmony/agreement with each other/one another, composed of the Father and the Son as two distinct Gods, and the Holy Spirit as not a God, but rather as the living power of God that flows/emanates between both the Father and the Son. The Assemblies of Yahweh are Bitheists. [citation needed] LDS Mormons are Tritheists [citation needed] . Unlike Binitarians, Bitheists, and Unitarians, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints teaches that the Holy Spirit is not the Living Power of God but is actually a third divine person. Tritheism is similar to Trinitarianism, in that they both teach that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit/Ghost are three distinct divine persons, except that Trinitarianism states that the three distinct persons are One God, and Tritheism states the three divine persons are three Gods. Ditheism is two Gods working against one another's purpose: God versus the popular Satan. Dualism is the day verses the night; a circle of opposites, that is actually working together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binitarianism

If you only worship Jesus with a nod to his father doesn't this also only make you a binitarian?

Where is the worship for holy Ghost?

Reniaa

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

No, I subscribe to trinitarianism, not bi-

To keep it from going off end endless tangents I generally only discuss 2 at a time.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I worship the Holy Ghost too. I am Trinitarian.

From the Creed:

We believe in the Holy Ghost who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified.

BTS

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I have had loads of discussion on here with so-called trinitarians that constantly refer to John 1:1 as proof of trinity!

I'm not a trinitarian myself, but I think people use John 1:1 to show proof of Christ's divinity. To say that people use it to prove the trinity is a bit simplistic.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I wont get into a dis agreement with you.Because I KNOW what I believe
    I am made in GODS Image!!! I have a body,I have a Soul,I have a spirit( rather a naughty one at times.)
    So that is THREE parts of me. As I have said a hundred times before .
    The three parts of me. DONT work together. But the THREE Parts OF GOD!!!!
    DO!!!NO one can Imagine what GOD LOOKS LIKE!
    But Many testified they saw the BODY>( JESUS THE SON) of GOD
    The SOUL of God in my opinion is the FATHER!(Never seen)
    The Spirit is the teacher of all who wants to learn..BODY,SOUL,SPIRIT!!!
    Now if we all could understand ALL about GOD> The Creator
    We would not have all the differant OPINIONS.
    But my understanding is in the VERY Beginning
    GOD Created all.the Spirit was hovering there also
    Jesus created all things with HIS DAD!!!
    But it is not a matter of Salvation to believe in the Trinity.
    All we have to do is have FAITH!!!! The gift of GOD.

The heart is what MY GOD judges. COL 1:15

• mouthy
    mouthy

Remembering that firstborn means PREMINENCE

• reniaa
    reniaa

I guess this thread was born of my frustration of only having Jesus's apparent divinity scriptures as proof of trinity.

I think the weak part of trinity is the holy ghost because I come across many trinitarians that believe it is only God's power and think maybe they would be better calling themselves something different binitarians as a more real description of what they actually believe.

Reniaa

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    If you only use proof that Jesus is divine in your texts doesn't that make you a binitarian?

The Bible says that the HS speaks, grieves, comforts, gives life, dwells within. These are all personal attributes, not inanimate ones.

The HS is a person, not an inimate force like electricty from a power station.

Here is a good piece:

The Spirit convicts people of guilt and judgement (John 16:8)

guides God's people (John 16:13)

tells things that are to come (John 16:13)

brings glory to Jesus (John 16:14)

hears God's truths and makes them known (John 16:13,15)

appoints pastors over God's people (Acts 20:28)

speaks God's message (Acts 28:25, etc.)

bears witness together with our own spirits (Romans 8:16)

helps us in our weakness (Romans 8:26)

intercedes on our behalf (Romans 8:26, 27)

searches all things (1 Corinthians 2:10)

knows the mind of God (1 Corinthians 2:11)

teaches the content of the gospel to believers (1 Corinthians 2:13)

lives among and within believers (1 Corinthians 3:16, etc.)

washes, sanctifies and justifies God's people (1 Corinthians 6:11)

gives gifts to his people as he determines (1 Corinthians 12:11)

gives life to those who believe (2 Corinthians 3:6)

cries out from within our hearts (Galatians 4:6)

leads us in the ways of God (Galatians 5:18)

has desires that are in opposition to the flesh (Galatians 5:17)

strengthens believers (Ephesians 3:16)

is grieved by our sinfulness (Ephesians 4:30)

can be blasphemed (Luke 12:10) and lied to (Acts 5:3)

The Bible is more concerned to describe the Spirit's activity, what he does, than to deal directly with the question of his person, who he is. However, it is obvious that all these activities are those we associate with persons. They imply:

Intelligence - most of the verbs used above imply intelligence. The Bible speaks of "the mind of the Spirit" (Romans 8:27)

Feelings - he can be grieved or made sad. Joy is a quality often associated with the Holy Spirit

Will - he decides the gifts he gives to his people (1 Corinthians 12:11)

These are the three main characteristics which make up personality.

Several significant passages that emphasise the personal nature of the Holy Spirit:

"The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children" (Romans 8:16). If our own inner spirit has personal qualities, then so also must the Holy Spirit. Both "testify".

"...you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God" (1 Corinthians 6:11). If Jesus is personal, then the Holy Spirit must be also.

In Romans 8 the Spirit in our hearts prays for us on earth (verse 27), while Jesus prays for us in heaven (verse 34). This again suggests that as Jesus is a person, so is the Spirit.

"I speak the truth in Christ - I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit" (Romans 9:1). Paul here appeals to his relationship with both Christ and the Holy Spirit for his honesty, implying that as Christ is personal, so must the Spirit also be. Another verse with similar implications is Romans 15:30.

BTS

• reniaa
    reniaa

and in comparison were holy spirit is not a person.....

If the Holy Spirit is the 3rd person of the Trinity then:

• Now the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "See, I have called by name Bezalel, the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. "I have filled him with [the third person of the Trinity] in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge (Exodus 31:1-3).
  • Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your [third person of the Trinity] from me. (Psalm 51:11).
  • Behold, My Servant, whom I uphold; My chosen one in whom My soul delights. I have put My [third person of the Trinity] upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the nations. (Isaiah 42:1).
  • I will not hide My face from them any longer, for I will have poured out My [third person of the Trinity] on the house of Israel," declares the Lord GOD. (Ezekiel 39:29).
  • It will come about after this that I will pour out My [third person of the Trinity] on all mankind; And your sons and daughters will prophesy, Your old men will dream dreams, Your young men will see visions. (Joel 2:28).
  • "As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with [the third person of the Trinity] and fire. (Matthew 3:11).
  • Jesus, full of [the third person of the Trinity], returned from the Jordan and was led around by the Spirit in the wilderness (Luke 4:1).
  • If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give [the third person of the Trinity to those who ask Him? (Luke 11:13).
  • For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for He gives [the third person of the Trinity] withthout measure. (John 3:34).
  • Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of [the third person of the Trinity], Jesus has poured forth this which you both see and hear. (Acts 2:33).
  • Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John, who came down and prayed for them that they might receive [the third person of the Trinity] for [the third person of the Trinity] had not yet fallen on any of them... Then they laid their hands on them and they received [the third person of the Trinity]... Now when Simon saw that [the third person of the Trinity] was given through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money (Acts 8:14-15).
  • While Peter was still saying this, [the third person of the Trinity] fell on all who heard the word. And the believers from among the circumcised who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of [the third person of the Trinity] had been poured out even on the Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, Can any one forbid water for baptizing these people who have received [the third person of the Trinity] just as we have?" (Acts 10:43-47).

But in my opinion she is happier if she remains as she is; and I think that I also have [the third person of the Trinity] (1 Corinthians 7:40).
  • Did you receive [the third person of the Trinity] by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun in [the third person of the Trinity], are you now being perfected by the flesh? (Galatians 3:2-3).
  • By this you know [the third person of the Trinity]: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God (1 John 4:2).
  • I was in [the third person of the Trinity] on the Lord's day (Revelation 1:10).
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Ignatius of Antioch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit