Try not to be personal in your rebuttal

by donny 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wordlygirl
    Wordlygirl

I agree that we should not be mean and nasty in our replies to the ones who post a favorable opinion on the Witnesses. Some of the replies I have read over the past few weeks were awful and contained nothing that would make me reconsider my position if I were still going to the meetings.

I am glad the folks who brought me to my senses were patient and kind no matter how much JW doctrine I babbled out.

Wordlygirl

• donny
    donny

Is this forum for debate? I picture it as being more like a hug session at my JWN support group.

Yes, it is a forum for debate, but shouldn't the debate be free from personal snipes or attacks? Debunk the message not the messenger.

Don

• shamus100
    shamus100

My apologies, Reinna, for calling you an idiot.

I found a more appropriate term for you:

Notes:an idiot is a stupid person with a mental age below three years, while a moron is a stupid person with a mental age of between seven to twelve years

I am an idiot, you are a moron.

• steve2
    steve2

Well stated Donny. There's nothing wrong with debating but what I have noticed is the personal, belittling, "exposing" tone of some posters when they respond to a poster who either supports or claims to be a JW. The debate becomes side-lined, and the crescendo of degrading commentary increases, with lots of speculation about the "motives" and standing of the JW poster.

I acknowledge that it can be so hard to restrain one's comments when another poster comes across as adamant in their support of the JWs, but the attacking responses probably leave the "JW" supporter more convinced than ever about the level of "debate".

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

Well said Steve

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

So Shamus when you call Reniaa a moron she actually thinks you're calling her brilliant

Hate the game, not the player.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit