What Bored You The Most As A JW?

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I got very bored while I was a Witness.

The meetings were so boring!!! Reading answers and sticking to the script made for tiresome comments. Aimlessly driving around in field "service" hoping no one was home might get the top honor for boredom.

JWs are supposed to be "busy" in the Lord's work. If you're busy, you shouldn't be bored, right? I must've been a bad Witness.

• dinah
    dinah

The Watchtower study was the hardest to sit through. I hated it!

• minimus
    minimus

Some elder's meetings were REALLY boring. Certain elders LOVED to hear themselves talk. It was if they had nothing to do but hopefully waste their day with their elder buddies and feel good about being in the boy's club.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

The meetings were insanely boring most of the time because of the rigid paramaters put on study. Cut and dried, very little individual commentary.

In fact, I was counseled several times for making "inappropriately personal or extraneous" comments. They don't want to hear personal expressions of faith or additional study at the meetings.

That makes it not learning, but indoctrination, which is boring, really. The repetition is mind numbing and if you object to it, you're told you're thinking too much of yourself and that we all need this repetition.

Really, it's boring mainly if you are resisting the indoctrination in any way. If you're sitting there daydreaming, escapting, thinking original thoughts, your body is trapped there as your mind is trying to find relief.

Neither me or my husband could stand sitting there that long, most of the time, so we'd go out to our car and listen to the meeting on FM. People looked down on us for that, but we got to where we didn't care, we needed the relief for our backs.

Yeah, meetings were not only boring, they were torture with a side order of boring.

• minimus
    minimus

"They were torture"....I LOVE that!

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

The Watchtower Sunday without a doubt. I remember counting how many paragraphs were left like you would the mile markers on long road trip. Whenever I can't sleep I wish I just had a tape of the Watchtower study to play.

• Pandoras cat11
    Pandoras cat11

I thought the meetings were boring too. As a witness kid we were not allowed to watch any "fun" shows on the T.V. We used to go over to some of the friends homes for a Watchtower study-----BORING.

Minimus--My husband said the same thing when he would come back from the elder's meetings. He said it reminded him of the water buffalo club from the Flinstones!!

• dinah
    dinah
    I remember counting how many paragraphs were left like you would the mile markers on long road trip.

YEP!!!!

• minimus
    minimus

and they wonder why we left. I couldn't take their mind numbing repetition.

• Newborn
    Newborn

Field service.

Going out in early morning streetwitnessing in minus 20 degrees and snowstorm...Gee!!! I thought that would save me!!

Almost all the time out in service I longed somewhere else and still I was pionnering for 4 yrs!!! Sacrifices...sacrifices...

/N

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit