Do You Have an LP Record Collection?

by compound complex 16 Replies latest social entertainment

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Audiophiles:

I have had my own records - 78s, 45s as well as LPs - since the 1950s and was given an entire collection from a private lending library. I wonder if those never opened are worth $omething ...

And you?

CoCo

• beksbks
    beksbks

I used to have quite a few, but I was mean to them when I was young, so they did not sound good at all.

When I met my ex husband, he had an unopened copy of some early Beatles album. I think it was Meet the Beatles, or Hard Days Night. I wanted to hear it one day...........

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey Beks:

We kids just didn't know any better! I'm certain that an unopened Beatles' or Stones' album is now a high-ticket item.

Among my fave 45s are All I Have to Do is Dream, by the Everly Brothers and Yma Sumac's wild and crazy Andean chants (I've always been enthralled with the exotic and fanciful. Who woulda thunk?).

Thanks for stopping by!

CoCo

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I have collected antiques since I was 12. By the time I was 14, I had a Victrola and I would buy lots of 78's, many of them Classical, Opera, Swing, etc. I would wind it up and play records constantly. One of my biggest memories was every time it was meeting night, I would get ready listening either to old classical 78's, or some of Judge Rutherfords talks on 78's that I also had collected that were used for service during the 30's and 40's.

There is a record value guide that you can buy that will show you the rarer records, but a quick check on Ebay will show you the values with a better idea of what someone will pay.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, OCB!

I, too, listened to the classics on an old portable phonograph Mom bought at the thrift store. Longines' Symphonette, Mario Lanza ...

Your memories sound good [even those of JFR?]. I'll check out E-bay.

Gratefully,

CoCo

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I probably have over 1000 LP's in boxes in my cellar. I'd love to take them out and listen to some of them, but they are kinda buried and I have no place to put them if I took them out. It would just be another big mess...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Howdy, Neon:

Thanks for sharing.

I understand your dilemma as only recently I was forced to take my large collection out of storage and find a place in my already crowded apartment. I have equipment that can transfer vinyl to tape - an obsolete but working system. Lots of work, though.

The 8-tracks are another thread!

Gratefully,

CoCo

• Dagney
    Dagney

I have kept my vinyl. Unfortunately, my stereo system is not hooked up properly after a move, so they are sitting in the garage. I cannot part with them. I have all the albums from childhood on...they even traveled with me when my family were need-greaters and lived in a third world country...couldn't part with them after all that!!! They were a little bit of home in a far away land.

Sounds like you do have some treasures Coco, I bet you could make some money on ebay.

I love the fact you are enamoured with Yma. I first heard her on a Disney album; she did a cover song. She's a wild one, and interesting.

• compound complex
    compound complex

For Dagney, who, likewise, cannot part with her vinyl!

I have the album, Voice of the Xtabay, at 51 seconds into the video.

CoCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbuqH_Gkgq0

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Ah, CoCo! The fact that you are a fellow Yma-phile is only one of the many reasons I love you!

Love,
    Baba

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit