Pictures of JWs with Sandwich boards

by Shepherd Book 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Can anyone spare a moment to assist me with a video I am making? I am attempting to put some visuals with an audio clip I have from the current District Convention.

I need:

Images of JWs/"bible students" holding signs or wearing sandwich boards that say things like "Religion is a snare and a racket". You know, like they used to do in the 1920s and 30s. I can't seem to find any such pictures in my limited collection of Watchtower literature.

If anyone could scan/drag in one or two images, or provide a link to them, I'd appreciate it.

I will post a link to the video once it's completed and on YouTube!

(unrelated note: I was just barred from visiting my dying Grandma at her home. She's not a JW, but her husband, my grandfather, is. Stupid.)

• VM44
    VM44

I believe that I saw a photo showing a JW having a sandwhich board even on their dog!

Perhaps someone can locate it. I thougut it a little humorous.

• sacolton
  • cameo-d
    cameo-d

Shepherd: "(unrelated note: I was just barred from visiting my dying Grandma at her home. She's not a JW, but her husband, my grandfather, is. Stupid.)"

I know this must hurt terribly. And your grandmother may not even know why you have not come to see her. As this situation happens to so many others as well, I am wondering if there is a way a third party could intercede and directly ask if your grandmother would like to see you and by some legal arrangement oppose the df'd party being blocked? Your grandmother, like others in this situation, may not have full control over her own life at this point, and it seems abusive not to allow her visitors that could comfort her.

I am wondering if the law, or a social worker, or elder abuse organization could help people in this situation?

I know that usually, ex-JWs will just take their lumps and walk away so as not to cause disruption at a delicate time, and this is noble. But it's not right and it's painful. I was thinking of some sort of solution that could set a precedence for everyone who may be encountering this kind of injustice.

Perhaps someone has a suggestion as to setting a legal precedence to stop this.

• VM44
    VM44

The photo sacolton posted above shows some JWs advertising Judge Rutherford's 1938 talk, "Face the Facts."

Here is what Time magazine had to say about it.

Judge Rutherford's rambling, worldwide speech was entitled "Face the Facts." Its gist: "A hideous monstrosity is rapidly moving to rule the world by dictators and to regiment the people. God, by His holy prophets, thousands of years ago, as recorded in the Bible, foretold this great menace, its cause, and what will be the result."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,931748,00.html

• mraimondi
    mraimondi

Sheperd

FUCK THEM

get over there and see your grandma. Call the cops if you have to. If she says she wants to see you, then you should.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I thought they were sammich boards....

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Sacolton-Thanks for the image; it's perfect!

VM- That Time excerpt is priceless. A picture with a dog wearing a sandwich board would be most welcome, too.

Mraimondi- Well, it's slightly more complicated than that. My grandma generally goes along with JW stuff. That is, she's not against it. She doesn't go out in service, or read the literature but she does go to the Sunday meetings usually. Also, when I called her, it was just to express my concern. She didn't say she wanted to see me; but she didn't say she was against it either. The next day, I told my mom I'd tag along with her to go see Grandma, but my mom called back and said Grandpa (her dad) said no. It's his house...so...unless Grandma slips me a super-secret message vial USMail, I don't think I'll be stopping by. She's far too nice for that religion. She didn't shun my (formerly) DF'd uncle despite her husband's 'warnings'.

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Cameo-D:

Thanks for your suggestions. I may look into that. As far as a third-party, I had considered my ex-JW sister. However, when she found out I was barred from visiting, she called my mom & told her she wouldn't be joining her on her trek to go visit Grandma. She figures if they want to shun one ex-JW, they should shun them all, even the ones without an evil website.

I'd like to know what's going on in my Grandma's head (despite her failing health, she's still 'all there' mentally). I think she, more than anyone else in my family, has suffered - largely in silence - as a result of the Watchtower.

• wobble
    wobble

Jeez Sheps,

Your thread has reminded me that my old Man dressed me up in a sandwich-board when I was about eight, and I went down with him to the main shopping street in our town and handed out leaflets that advertised the Suday PT at the CA that was being held in our town, Maidstone in Kent , 1958 ?

I suppose that memory has given me something to contribute to the thread about something positive you have gained by being a Witness, I didn't think I had anything to say, but I suppose after that, i didn't ever give a s**T about making a fol of myself in public. Is that a positive thing ?

Love

Wobble

ps Go and see Grandma before it is too late, stuff grandpaps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit