I was asked to leave the table...an incredible shunning experience

by JustHuman14 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• Scully
    Scully

You should have told them "If you find my sitting here enjoying a meal with my 3-year-old child offensive, at a kindergarten event for children, then YOU move. If you don't stop harrassing me like this, I will take it up with the school's headmaster. I have just as much right to be here as you do."

Don't let them disrespect you in front of your child, and especially do not allow them to bully you in front of your child and get away with it. Don't let your child see that it is ok to disrespect and bully you - that's a lesson you do not want her to learn.

• poppers
    poppers

What Scully said. They have no right to dictate what you do in this or any other setting. Despicable behavior by arrogant and ignorant people.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

If you are no longer a JW their rules don't apply to you. If they don't like it they should leave.

I won't force myself on a JW, but neither will I aid them in their shunning.

W

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

When a JW wants to shun me... I always ensure they are they one in the awkward position. I would have stayed at the table so everyone in the cafeteria would see a large number of people suddenly get up and walk to another table. Inevitably someone would ask why they did that and they, or I, would have to give an answer.

I think it would have made a "great witness" to all present.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I agree with Elsewhere. It would have been a great public demonstration of the "love" displayed by Jehovah's organization.

You did what seemed right at the time, and perhaps avoiding confrontation was the high road; but stuff like this makes my blood boil. I think it might also have been a violation of policy at the school. Many (most?) public schools have policies about not displaying predjudice based on ethnic, cultural, language, disabilities etc. A word to the principal or school board about this incident might generate a letter to parents reminding them of such policy.

If I ran the school and heard about it, I'd tell the witnesses that a reccurance would result in THEM getting the boot.

• Gregor
    Gregor

You handled it with a lot more class than they deserved. Some of the comments above were good, but with kids present it changes everything.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Just Human,

I am so sorry this happened to you. What nerve!!! A school is a public place and the occasion was not a witness gathering.

For over thirty years, I was a humble, oh so humble elder's wife. Clothing, car, speach, book bag, home, all must not gather attention, all must be clean, organized, lowly, bland.

Nothing was good enough. Now, I know that in this circumstance, I would have to stand up and say in a loud voice, "These people are all Jehovah's Witnesses and have asked me to move from this area because they feel that I am not good enough to sit here close to them while they eat. Is there anyone else that doesn't mind me sitting with them?"

I've really had enough.....they expect YOU to quietly move.....I will not be quiet any longer. People need to know what they are really like. It would have been an education for many, many people from your school.

As Dear Abby used to say, "step on me once, shame on you, step on me twice, shame on me!"

• Free
    Free

You really didn't get up and leave did you ? They still have you under their control. Grow some guts ( Replace guts with balls if you are a dude ) I didn't have time to check. You should of freaked out , I am Freaking out just hearing this.

• Piercingtheveil81
    Piercingtheveil81

I can play that game too. I told my wife since I'm not invited or allowed to enter her family's houses they are not welcome at mine either.

• loosie
    loosie

WOW that was soooo wrong of them. they had no right to that. I wouldn't have left. What would thaty have done strong armed you into getting up? I don't think so.

But I do like this response:

I would have to stand up and say in a loud voice, "These people are all Jehovah's Witnesses and have asked me to move from this area because they feel that I am not good enough to sit here close to them while they eat. Is there anyone else that doesn't mind me sitting with them?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit