Guilt trip on R&F if you don't preach

by bobld 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    Out of interest do you think Jesus and his appostles if here now would sit back on their computers and use the internet or TV to preach or would they prefer the personal less self-promoting touch?

Of course they would use modern technology to preach. That's a no-brainer. Besides, neither Jesus nor the first century Christians preached house to house the way Witnesses do today. There was a Craptower study article several months back that I critiqued showing that they're lying their faces off by insisting that the early Christians DID preach door to door.

For anyone who didn't see it, here's the link: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/165144/1/COMMENTS-YOU-WILL-NOT-HEAR-AT-THE-WT-STUDY-09-07-08-HOUSE-TO-HOUSE-MINISTR

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

mostly the preaching work is designed to keep you in it as much as it is to get converts. Doing something inherently difficult makes some people believe even more that they have the true religion. You're sacrificing time money and dignity to preach, so you want to invest more belief to justify the sacrifice of all that. Basic cult psychology.

spot on

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Mary = did you read the lame argument by Freddie Franz when he was challenged by Ray on the "door to bore misery?" (Christian Freedom):

"they might have gone into a home by the front door, but then left the house by the back door - so that would be door to door wouldnt it??"

The guy had such a sly way of twisting words around and equivocal arguing I think he would have been a great politician, or at least a White house toady.

HB

• Mary
    Mary
    Mary = did you read the lame argument by Freddie Franz when he was challenged by Ray on the "door to bore misery?" (Christian Freedom): "they might have gone into a home by the front door, but then left the house by the back door - so that would be door to door wouldnt it??"

I certainly did. I guess after Freddie said those words, the rest of the GB members burst out laughing as such a ludicrous reply yet here they are decades later still telling 6.5 million people that this is how they have to preach if they want to qualify for eternal life.

Morons.

• bobld
    bobld

Thanks for your input.The reason I post this topic is because of all the news about the D.C. and the end is so near.Also you see some convention person making comments on T.V.,newsprint,etc,etc.We are near the end they will say because look at the economy,swine flu,wars,etc.Than we have those that are a brick short of a full load and will parrot what what the GB tells them in the WT.You hear it every Sunday,the best way to reach people is D-to-D.The most effective way is D-D it says right here it para 2,4,6,8,14.

I agree with HB they had a very effective way in WBBR.In fact they were the leaders in nation wide radio b'casting.Why they stopped, only God knows.Also some mentioned the preaching in Jesus's time.The way I see it through out history you did what you had at the time.In JAYSEE time it was word of mouth and by foot.Before the automobile it was by foot or horse.You know what I'am saying.Not that long ago you sent a letter,today it is email.Would you go back to horse and buggy.Just imagine all the new technology.Even those bozos in WT HQ use all the new technology.Would they go back to hand writing all the Mag's or even go back to the old typewriter.

Bob

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

The more and more I look back at my JW days the more and more I realise that we simply didn't use our logical thinking.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I don't know about the US & UK but New Zealand TV on a Sunday morning has a veritable smorgarse board of cults and religions to choose from, but no Watchtower half hour on any channel.

The Evil Evangelicals have their own radio stations and are one of the few radio stations on the FREETV Satellite.

The poor old Watchtower has to rely on my wife and her mates to bang on doors to get their all important, life saving message to us dirty heathens.

Cheers

Chris

• reniaa
    reniaa

lol

i was been ironic but now I will answer more fully obviously Jehovah's witnesses do use modern technology they have a website and use phones. TV is a complex issue because it has been so abused by self-promoting TV evangelisers that they don't want to fall into the trap of individuals getting into the same trouble moses did. I'm sure if they could use TV in a productive way without compromising biblical issues then maybe one day they will. But they are being careful.

I suppose the real question is, Should Jesus direction for us to preach to everyone means that we can get rid of the personal door to door, person to person work by means of this impersonal technology and I would say no.

Reniaa

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

"....and I would say no"

You would stand by anything your cult tells you.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I'm sorry, but a dull presentation that is not heartfelt nor scriptual kinda loses it's personal touch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit