JW Decline

by larc 54 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Moxy,

I really like your graph. I like stats myself. I think they really can show "the truth" when people are trying to snow you, e.g., the Society. I have some numbers somewhere that show that the steady decline goes back to the 1940's, and 1975 was just a short term perterbation in the data, due to false prophecy. Unfortunately, I am not to well organized and my data is in a cardboard box somewhere. If I run into it, I'll post it. I think your data back to 1950 will show what I am talking about, however.

• Moxy
    Moxy

thx larc, i was wondering if anyone read this thread anymore... i spent a lot of time on those stats :)

i will grab the 50-69 data too and add it. i wouldve except that the stats seemed quite different from 68 and earlier. they had one stat 'no of meetings', presumably they counted every meeting. but bizarrely, baptisms was absent. anybody have any idea why?

mox

• larc
    larc

Recently, there have been some brief discussions of JW numbers. I though I would bring back this lengthy discussion for those who missed it the first time around.

• larc
    larc

back again

• Dino
    Dino

Hey larc and all, RR, I wish I could remember where I saw that the SDA's membership had a precipitous decline from the 8 million you mentioned to somewhere around a few hundred thousand in just the past few years. The factors that path o thorns mentioned in conjunction with the internet is going to cause exactly the same thing. One more thing will as well. When I was service overseer, I was alarmed at the phantom ministry going on. Service was a social outing and for keeping up appearances in the congo. One elder I knew had it down to a science. He would go out in the great laundromat ministry early in the mornings furtively leaving magazines on the counters and never actually witnessing to anyone. Then he and his wife would meet with the group at 9am and then go home afterwards. It is my estimate that at least two-thirds of the brothers in the U.S. engage in a perpetual return visit ministry where the actual door-to-door work is non-extant. The only time even elders actually engage in field ministry is when CO's visit!I am glad to see it because it heralds their demise. Dino

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit