JW Decline

by larc 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

NOTE TO SELF: Do not use sleepiness as an excuse!! LOL

Path

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I recently read an article in USNews concerning Mormons. They are at 11 million some-odd members and growing rapidly. According to this article, Mormons are the fastest growing religion at this point in time.

As far as the Internet being instrumental in the number of JW's falling away, I would say that that is definitely true. Today I had lunch with someone who recently became inactive. She told me that she had started to have some concerns awhile ago, but followed the typical route of blaming herself for a bad attitude.

Initially, she said that she was afraid to get on the Net because of all the warnings against it, but she eventually gave in to temptation. In her case, the Net was the deciding factor in her leaving.

As far as Logical's comment is concerned, I'm sure that this will be the official explanation from the Society as to why the numbers are dropping. As soon as the official explanation comes out, it will also undoubtedly result in much excitement for the average JW. It will "prove" to them that the "end" is truly just around the corner because of the fulfillment of prophecy. Whatever happens, they'll find a scripture to fit it.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I think the internet is pulling out the intelligent ones who have been asking the serious questions to themselves for a long time. But I don't think its really responsible for the major decreases.

People are just tired and worn out, trying to cover their butts and playing catch-up for lack of financial planning as they realize they are getting older. Plus the younger generation simply doesn't want the "truth" and the message no longer appeals in any way to the public.

What you have is:

a) old witnesses dying, getting sick, reducing activity due to age
    b) younger witnesses not getting baptized/getting dfed/leaving
    c) middle age witnesses asking questions/working more for retirement
    d) no clear, inspiring leadership. No solid direction and basis for confidence

The reason for the decline is our own doing. Its not the internet. The internet is only going to contribute to the "dumbing down" of the flock as all the thinking and reasonable ones leave.

Path

• RR
    RR

I believe the SDA Church is growing at a faster rate than the JW's, at one time there were THE fastest growing, but as was said earlier, the Mormons are the fastest growing, perhaps the SDA are second, the last I remember they numbers about 8 million strong, but I could be wrong.

"People in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones"

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

www.adherents.com/

Mormonism Statistics
    www.adherents.com/Na_163.html

SDAdventist
    www.adherents.com/Na_462.html#3552

This site covers over 53,000 adherent statistics and religions

• waiting
    waiting

Hey y'all,

Many things do not happen as they ought. Most things do not happen at all. It is for the conscientious historian to correct these defects. Herodorus

The WTBTS held their successes over in Russia as proof of their tremendous growth. That is true. What they didn't say is that almost any/all churches going in over there since the demise of communism has had phenominal growth rates. They are no different than any other church's growth.

Path has summed up well the WTBTS predicament - their future and their written history.

However, down in south usa, the local dubs have ways of covering all their bases.

1. Growth rates go up: Look! That proves we're Jehovah's organization and people are fulfilling the prophecy about foreigners hanging onto the fringe of Jehovah's true followers to go worship with them. (where's that scripture, btw? any spiritual person here?)

2. Growth rates go down: Look! That proves we're Jehovah's organization because we fortold that the love of the greater number would cool off and the end would come. Well, the love is cooling off which proves the end is coming. Wait on Jehovah.

Either way, local jdubs have to make their minds comfortable, safe and closed. "As for me, I'm going to remain faithful to Jehovah's organization." Been said to me a lot since I left.

hey larc!

My dog ate my homework, teacher. It's true. I had to force him but he did eat it.

I'm enjoying this thread. You're middle of the night statistics are well thought out.

I think the internet will draw the more intelligent, more literate, from the WTBTS. The 3rd world countries and the "second citizens" in the usa are where the growth and thrust of effort is going. Spanish congregations in our area are growing incredibly. Many migrant workers.

Why is this thus? What is the reason of this thusness? Artemus Ward

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 23 December 2000 10:53:47

• Martini
    Martini

HI larc and Co.,

I believe the internet has definitely contributed to the decline of recent.Like others are pointing out the harvest is composed of those thinking ones who would sooner or later make the exodus.
    I don't believe the internet is the primary reason others will leave otherwise the fallout would have been much much greater by now. Instead we have an active resistance from online JW themselves to bring the negative effect of the internet from affecting many users.
    The Internet may have already reaped it's crop.
    However with the passing of time say 5-10 years combined with uncertainty over their future and availability of information, many witnesses will on their own incentive question thier beliefs without any direct intervention by XJW's.

One statistic I would love to know is how many there are like myself who have become inactive and are not officially leaving until 1)there is a common mass exodus or 2) more favorable conditions are given to allow members to leave without haviing to face the strict shunning policy from family and friends.

Hang on...It's going to be a long ride folks.

Martini

• Simon
    Simon

There is an excellent site for JW Statistics at http://www.jwic.com/stat.htm which has graphs and trends etc... for many countries and regions.
    Well worth a look.

• TR
    TR

Thanks for the info, Scorpion, RHW and RR. Appreciate it.

TR

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Simon,

Thanks for the click to this site. I went there when I was new to the web, but I think I was too inundated with information to take it all in.

Very impressive - who's behind it, do you know?

Concerning the book, Crisis of Conscience:

The entire book was translated into Russian and now available on line. Print out and distribute the pages to Russian people studying the Watchtower religion....

I can't imagine the amount of work that went into this. Kudos to someone or some persons.

Going back now.....thanks.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit