Favorite Cult Movies

by I quit! 55 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Some Kind of Wonderful.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    The Mouse That Roared

Wow. I had totally forgotten about that movie. There's nothing like a movie where the doomsday device is a combination football & toaster.

- Lime

• Hittman
    Hittman

Great list – I forgot about some of them.

Blade Runner is at the top of my list. Roy's short final speech is the finest death scene ever put to film.

I'm surprised no one mentioned The Princess Bride. I brought that home when I my twins were twelve, and sat them down to watch it. They were a little disgusted when I told them it was about a princess, and wanted to get up during the opening scenes with Peter Falk. By the time the move was finished they were enthralled, and have probably watched it a few hundred times (really) since then.

Try "Nobody's Fool", a forgotten little move staring Paul Newman, Jessica Tandy, Melanie Griffith, Bruce Willis, and Philip Seymour Hoffman before anyone had heard of him. It captures life in a dying Upstate New York town *perfectly.* Buy the DVD (you can find it in the cheepie bins) because you're going to watch it over and over.

I'm also surprised that "The Crow" isn't on anyone's list. Great, great movie that works on a half dozen different levels.

• Caedes
    Caedes

I am amazed that most people don't know what constitutes a cult movie, judging by the majority of responses here. (The majority of responses here being... what is your favourite thai food? spaghetti and meatballs!)

Withnail and I

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Céline et Julie vont en bateau

Also known as 'Celine and Julie Go Boating'

With an exceptionally good sound system.... "The Wall"

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I reckon that it is now (what is a cult movie) a much broader brush stroke than the past.

Two of the movies I chose were box office hits but they broke the mold of what was being produced at the time. They also produced a multi generational cult following, changed the English language and the way millions of people think about time and reality.

But I do see your point in the classic sense. Check my other recommendation......

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon
    I'm surprised no one mentioned The Princess Bride.

SacrificialLoon posted that on page 1!? Inconceivable!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"I am amazed that most people don't know what constitutes a cult movie, judging by the majority of responses here. (The majority of responses here being... what is your favourite thai food? spaghetti and meatballs!)

Withnail and I "

This isn't a kingdom hall, it's a fluff topic

Lighten up!

• sacolton
    sacolton

Add another ...

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

"Every time I look at you I don't understand ... why you let the things you did get so out of hand?"

• Caedes
    Caedes
    This isn't a kingdom hall
    Lighten up!

My favourite musical is die hard!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit