Vaccines & Autism: A Deadly Manufactroversy

by drwtsn32 39 Replies latest social current

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    When Joshua was 2 he would not play with toys cars (hot wheels and matchbox) like his brothers, he would try and try to stack them. If they fell he would get upset and if he couldn't get them to stack he would become very upset and grab anyone to help him stack those cars.

Oh yes, stacking too. I liked to line up my stuffed animals into rows, or do the same with blocks. I was especially interested in watching spinning things -- anything that spins. I would endlessly spin the handles to my drawers, I acquired my own collection of tops, and I would get my parents to spin coins for me (as I was not coordinated enough to do it myself).

When he's interested in something it becomes an obsession

Yes, that's very much typical. And it can be a good thing....my obsessive interests have enabled me to do an incredible about of detailed research I think most people would get bored of. That can be of great help in getting a career. But at the same time, it can be a detriment. My interests cycle through one by one, and it can be very challenging to focus on what I am "supposed" to be interested in if I happen to be in the phase where I am interested in something else entirely. Your son might have trouble focusing on schoolwork for the same reason, if he is like me. The challenge, I think, is to help him find something at school he can really excel in and stick with it. This may include learning how to manage time such that he can tolerate devoting time to things he is not interested in while still indulging his interests when he is done with schoolwork.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I often get single-tracked obsessive on arcane subjects like that also. When my intellectual interests line up with what I am actually supposed to be doing, I feel I am pretty unstoppable. But usually, I am bored and easily distracted. But usually they don't and I procrastinate until the deadline hits. Some of the work I am doing now however, involves research and is absolutely fascinating. I haven't been this happily focused on something that actually pays money in years. I also had a lot of problems with social situations, and I still do prefer to deal in writing than verbally. I don't know if I am toward that end of the spectrum, or if my upbringing damaged me.

BTS

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    From my experience, the article is incorrect.

In what way?

Because your son is autistic and was vaccinated, you conclude it was caused by the vaccinations?

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

DrWatson....My fault for not editing and proofreading before I hit submit. What I MEANT to say the article was correct. I agree that there is no connection between autism and vaccination. Sorry for any confusion.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Gotcha...thanks for the clarification. :)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"Yes, that's very much typical. And it can be a good thing....my obsessive interests have enabled me to do an incredible about of detailed research I think most people would get bored of. That can be of great help in getting a career. But at the same time, it can be a detriment. My interests cycle through one by one, and it can be very challenging to focus on what I am "supposed" to be interested in if I happen to be in the phase where I am interested in something else entirely. Your son might have trouble focusing on schoolwork for the same reason, if he is like me. The challenge, I think, is to help him find something at school he can really excel in and stick with it. This may include learning how to manage time such that he can tolerate devoting time to things he is not interested in while still indulging his interests when he is done with schoolwork."

Yes, I can see that in Joshua. He becomes very focused on what interests him and his interests cycle. He's gone from stacking cars to puzzles which led to puzzles of the United States and at the same time a fascination with the Statue of Liberty and the American Flag with a side interest of the nation's capital (he's know's what the Lincoln Memorial is and wants to go to the Smithsonian). He loves playing cards, because of a movie he's seen, and likes to pretend he's playing poker (that interest has waned thank goodness - I got tired of supplying him with playing cards and chips ). Calendars was his next focus. It's just amazing to see how much time he devotes to his interest. He's only 5.

Right now he's shown an interest in basic math but his main focus is drawing bridges and movie pictures similar to this:

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

At his age I was into building construction, especially bricklaying. I liked to draw pictures and pictures of rows of bricks. Then I got into maps.

drwtsn32....Here is a version of the screening list I was referring to (the questions are rated mostly true by 50% or more of parents of children with autism):

http://www.liliclairefoundation.org/pdfs/lv_autismscreening.pdf

The version I am most familiar with (on pp. 107-109 of The World of the Autistic Child: Understanding and Treating Autistic Spectrum Disorders by Bryna Siegel [Oxford, 1996]) continues the screening list up to the age of 48 months.

• Scully
    Scully

There's a Canadian "physician" (has a licence, but does not practice medicine, and is actually the leader of a small political party in Canada) by the name of Andrew Moulden who postulates that the immune response created by the administration of a vaccine causes small strokes in the capillary blood flow in the brain. He believes that this is the cause of the exponential rise of autism and learning disorders which coincides with the increase in number and frequency of childhood vaccines that are given.

You can decide for yourself by visiting his website: BrainGuardMD

My personal opinion: nutjob.

• read good books
    read good books

This was from an article with the media supporting the Governments position that there isn't a link but then notice this...

..."But last week, the parents of yet another child with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) were awarded a lump sum of more than $810,000 (plus an estimated $30-40,000 per year for autism services and care) in compensation by the Court, which ruled that the measels-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine had caused acute brain damage that led to his autism spectrum disorder.

The family of 10-year-old Bailey Banks won their case quietly and without fanfare in June of 2007, but the ruling has only now come to public attention. In the remarkably clear and eloquent decision, Special Master Richard Abell ruled that the Banks had successfully demonstrated that “the MMR vaccine at issue actually caused the conditions from which Bailey suffered and continues to suffer.”

Bailey’s diagnosis is Pervasive Developmental Disorder — Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS) which has been recognized as an autism spectrum disorder by CDC, HRSA and the other federal health agencies since at least the 1990s.

In his conclusion, Special Master Abell ruled that Petitioners had proven that the MMR had directly caused a brain inflammation illness called acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM"

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    that the immune response created by the administration of a vaccine causes small strokes in the capillary blood flow in the brain

I'd like a real study, and hard facts before I accept this. We've got the tech to be able to analyze what is going on at the capillary sized scale. The hard evidence at this point is that MMR and others like it have saved millions of lives.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit