Vaccines & Autism: A Deadly Manufactroversy

by drwtsn32 39 Replies latest social current

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/09-06-03

Excellent article. Somewhat lengthy but worth the read.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Good article. A lot of information there. We were nervous about vaccinating our child, but I decided it was better to do so after researching it, balancing a known risk against a possibly bogus one. Then a study came out a few months ago.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/mmr_vaccine.htm

We just spread the shots out among several visits (my wife was antsy). People have totally forgotten how many children would die from infectious disease only a few decades ago.

BTS

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My first three kids had a shot schedule that was spread out. My last child, Joshua (he has autism), had combo shots. I know this proves nothing but maybe I should have asked for the same shot schedule as the first three. A lot of folks aren't really aware of autism until it happens in their family. I have no idea what's caused Joshua's autism, that's not my focus now.

Josie

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

One issue is that the manifestation of visible signs of autism follows the developmental process and can happen abruptly whether or not it coincides with vaccination events. Because the age at which the MMR is administered falls right into the range when the earliest signs of autism can be manifested, for a certain proportion of the population the two events could coincide. In my case, certain signs were rather abruptly manifested about a month before I received the MMR (I received it the first year it became available too).

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I have no idea what's caused Joshua's autism

No one knows exactly what causes it at this point, but it seems to be a combination of genetics and possibly some environmental factors.

Vaccines have been shown to not be linked to autism time and time again. It's a shame that some celebrities and others get on this anti-vaccination bandwagon and ignore actual facts.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    People have totally forgotten how many children would die from infectious disease only a few decades ago.

Exactly.

With our son we have followed the recommended vaccination schedule. The article makes a point that spreading out vaccinations can actually be more risky, although it didn't exactly say why. I want to look into that more...

• drwtsn32
  • drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Because the age at which the MMR is administered falls right into the range when the earliest signs of autism can be manifested, for a certain proportion of the population the two events could coincide.

Yep, that's what seems to throw a lot of people off. A definite red herring. It's understandable that some might conclude there was a possible connection, so it was worthy of investigation.

The article points out that Jenny McCarthy's grandmother admits Evan's (Jenny's son) symptoms were apparent before the MMR vaccination as well, although Jenny claims it was right after the MMR was administered.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Thanks for another dose of common sense dr.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

People should only drink coffee with their right hand. Drinking coffee with the left hand causes foot cancer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit