When is it time to say goodbye?

by PEC 45 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

PEC - I absolutely love cats and they have been my pet of choice since I was little. I've had a number of them and one of them "Twenty" got very ill and she was in so much pain. I sobbed for days before and after, but it was better for her.

It's not an easy decision, plus your baby is old. If she is in a lot of pain....well how would you feel if it was you?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh I was so sorry about that beautiful cat...But MY advice is to put her to sleep

THe age is the thing that makes me feel that way. I had a dog Kitzie,A Samoyed
    14 yrs of age. she was doing that also. My Vet suggested "sleep" because it was
    cancer... I know how hard that is. I cried for days... I have her picture on my wall
    now.

Personally I feel it is kinder to put ANYONE> Cat>,DOG ,>HUMAN Out of suffering
    when you know they are old & are not going to get better.

• fern
    fern

PEC,

I used to work at a vet clinic and the $2 a can food your vet recommended is a special food that won't make the pancreatitis worse. I'm sorry but you probably made things worse by changing the food back to something else. I can't imagine balking at $2 a can in order to save my cat. You probably cost yourself MORE money by taking her to another vet and having the same tests run all over again. Harsh but true. Hope your cat gets better.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

It is definately a quality of life issue. We had a cat and dog recently go to kidney failure - it's awful because they seem so vibrant except for their poor little insides are always burning and churning from all the throw-ing up.

Neither of those choices were easy - and they both came within the same year for us. But I don't regret either choice. In the case of our cat he was 16 - and he'd had the expensive food and IV's - which he hated. We eventually took him off the food since he wasn't eating it anyways and he thrived for a few years, but eventually he couldn't eat or drink towards the end. No amount of fluids was going to bounce him back this time. We knew, I burst into tears on the phone with the vet knowing full-well he was probably going to the vet for the last time.

It's hard, those sweet little animals who love and depend on us for so much unfortunately also depend on us to make the right choice for the end of their lives as well. Your sweet kitty knows she is loved, and you'll know too when it's time to say goodbye.

• PEC
    PEC

choosing life, thanks, she is suffering, she has lost at least 5lbs, may be more.

dinah, thanks, she hisses at me, when I gently pick her up, cats try to hide thier pain.

restrangled, it is tough to let go of the ones we love, but it is time to let go, thanks.

Purza, thanks, I have heard that also.

Vinny, thanks, she has had enough.

loosie, she is in pain, tho she tries to hide it.

Witness 007, thanks.

Barbie Doll, you don't have to tell everyone what I say.

Gregor, it is not hairballs.

AudeSapere, thanks.

runningonfaith, they said she didn't have diabetes, they don't even know for sure it is the pancreas, the test was borderline.

jamiebowers, thanks, I am glad your cat is better.

FlyingHighNow, thanks.

Dagney, thanks.

BabaYaga, thanks, for the PM.

I quit!, thanks, she is not going to get better.

JWdaughter, thanks.

LouBelle, thanks.

mouthy, thanks, you didn't have to say it, everyone knows what you think on the subject.

fern, She wouldn't eat the special cat food, we didn't have the tests redone, the second vet, ran another test that was not conclusive.

joannadandy, thanks.

Philip

• mouthy
    mouthy

mouthy, thanks, you didn't have to say it, everyone knows what you think on the subject

Why was I wrong to say it???Sorry if I was out of line.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Sorry your cat isn't well PEC & Barbie.

I lost one of my cats in January, she was clearly dying (in the final stages, everything shutting down) so the 'only' decision I had to make was to hasten it for her or allow her to go by herself. I hated to have to take her to the vet, but I did. I felt bad about it for days after even though I knew it was the kindest thing I could have done for her.

For all the advice we can give here, and even what the vet says, YOU know your cat the best, YOU will know when she's definitely not happy any more.

You'll KNOW when its time to let her go, she'll be telling you and you'll just know...

• PEC
    PEC

Sad emo, thanks.

mouthy, you didn't say anything wrong, I was trying to say that I know your opinion on the subject, you didn't have to write it.

Thanks again, everyone.

Philip

• Mary
    Mary

Aw shoot PEC-----this is a tough one. I'm a cat lover myself and that's got to be the hardest decision in the world. If she's suffering and if there's truly nothing they can do to help her, then I would say yes, it's time to put her down.

It pisses me off that our beloved kitty-cats live on average about 12 - 16 years whereas frigging turtles can live for 150 years.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

This is the first time I have cried on this forum! Our pets are so precious - I AM SO SORRY!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit