If christ loved everyone then why don't christians

by loosie 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I think that's at First Hypocrites 5:18 where the Bible says "By this all will know that you are my disciples if you hate anyone who isn't like you."

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

many many christians do not follow the path of Christ (be it the christ of 2000 years ago or the Christlike path)

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

There are a lot of 'Christians' out there that claim to be following Christ, yet they don't show the love that Christ showed. If there is no love, there is no Christ. When I started looking for God on my own, I saw a lot of hypocrisy in so-called Christian religions. I decided that the only thing I am sure of is that God is love, so I won't go along with anything that is not loving. My life has gotten a lot easier since I started following only one rule. If only all Christians would do this.

Angie

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Just say you hate God and Christians and move on to the next topic.

I don't think she was saying anything like that. Pointing out the unchristlike attitude of some christians doesn't mean that one hates them. And it certainly doesn't mean they hate God. If Christians were capable of recognizing their intolerance and hypocrisy, it wouldn't need to be pointed out by non-christians.

Because you have that pesky human element involved as well as free will.

Telling your child to not associate with another child, because they aren't christian is another form of shunning. Why is it intolerance when JWs do it, but when other christians do it, it is simply being human?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

There are plenty of Christians in name only.

BTS

• carla
    carla

Because you have that pesky human element involved as well as free will.

"Telling your child to not associate with another child, because they aren't christian is another form of shunning. Why is it intolerance when JWs do it, but when other christians do it, it is simply being human?"

I didn't say it should be tolerated, that wasn't the question, the question was 'if Christ loved everyone then why don't Christians love or at least tolerate everyone?' There are obnoxious people in every single group there is. The difference is that when one who claims to be a Christian (a non jw) practices shunning or obnoxious behavior it is done of their own accord, when jw's do it it is done at the direction of a few mere men who claim to 'channel' God Himself and put God's approval upon it. The 'Christian' acting of their own accord to not claim it comes from God. I have known both kinds of 'Christians', those who wish their children would only associate with other Christian households and those who make no distinctions. The ones who wish their children to only associate with Christian's tend to because they feel they are less likely to get involved with sex, drugs, & rock -n-roll type of behavior not necessarily because they feel a non Christian would be a spiritual endangerment in the same sense that jw's think of it. At least that was the case with the ones I knew who wished but did not enforce any sort bigotry or shunning.

Usually the parents who were truly worried about a classmates influence upon their child tended to invite the child over as much as possible so they would be spending time at their home and doing things with their family rather than leave them in a household where there were not many rules and the kids were off and parents did not know where they were.

When these "Christians" who practice shunning do so, they do it for their own reasons and can articulate why they do not wish their child to spend time with another. When jw's practice shunning the only reason is because Elder So & So said I should be mad at them and not talk to them until they have been punished enough by an entire community and Elder So & So has read their heart to see if they are 'repentent' enough. If I am going to be shunned I sure would hope the person had the balls to tell my why and not just because some mere man told them to.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    When these "Christians" who practice shunning do so, they do it for their own reasons and can articulate why they do not wish their child to spend time with another. When jw's practice shunning the only reason is because Elder So & So said

My JW parents had no problem telling me why I shouldn't hang aroung with 'worldly' children. What is the difference between them doing it, and parents of other christian groups? They are doing it for exactly the same reason, because they believe the other child will be a negative influence. They are both forms of brainwashing and intolerance. One isn't worse than the other because the ones doing it happen to be JWs.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Check out my thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/176349/3/Asking-the-Hard-Questions

Read 1 John 4:8 and then 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8. Not all Chrisitans are lacking in love for their fellow humans.

• carla
    carla

Did I say one is worse than the other? the actual shunning? Besides you know as well as I that if you hung around worldly children your parents would have been brought in the back room and given a stern warning about it.

You are completely missing my point all together. I am not condoning shunning at all, simply pointing out the reasons behind it are completely different for a jw than the Christian. A jw's eternal salvation is at stake when deciding who they may or may not associate with, they may get destroyed at the big A for not following the conscience of the wt. That is not the case where a 'Christian' is choosing to restrict associations of a child with another, their very salvation is not at stake if they choose to associate or not with anybody. They have no body of elders telling them, no gb, no fear that an entire community including their families will shun them if they do one thing or another. It is their own individual choice, right or wrong they are soley responsible for their actions. In the jw community the entire jw cong is responsible to shun a member and us 'worldlies'.

Besides, this entire story is based upon what a 13 yr old is saying, have you ever known 13 yr old children to get things a bit mixed up? I know my jw who is an adult gets jw doctrine mixed up all the time until I show him out of his own rule books (jw literature) that something is so or not. The 'Christian' choosing to shun is doing so out of their own accord not because some men told them they would lose their salvation or they would be shunned themselves for not following the rules.

The ironic thing here is the language we are using, jw vs Christian. Odd isn't it when jw's claim they are Christian?

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Because christians are the worst people (as a group) on the planet?

Give me a muslim any day...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit