Anyone have a good Meeting for Field Service story?

by BonaFide 20 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Oh, yes those wonderful meetings for service. For some reason, they are so long and disorganized and boring. Seems no one wants to get out there in the territory.

I remember in one Hall when I was a teenager, a Ministerial Servant, about 50 years old, would conduct the midweek meeting for service at the KH at 9 am. He would consider the text for 30 MINUTES. Then he would start to assign the car groups, but as the late ones came in, he would try to rearrange. He never, ever once finished the meeting under one hour. The pioneers complained and complained, the elders talked to him to no avail. Finally the C.O. cut him off from conducting, and had the elders take turns during the week. They soon got tired of that, and put him back in there with strict instructions. So since he was so mad at the friends for turning him in to the elders, he trimmed the meeting for service down to 5 MINUTES INCLUDING THE PRAYER. He looked mad too. Sometimes only one or two people were there. I felt uncomfortable, so did a lot of others. So an enterprising sister asked permission from the elders to have an "early morning" meeting for service at her home at 8 am. We all supported it and didn't bother going to the KH one. Big problems ensued.

In my missionary assignment, occasionally people would show up in the morning to preach THAT WERE NOT WITNESSES. Since the dress code in some countries is different due to culture and lack of money, it was often hard to distinguish who was dressed "for the ministry." So I would assign pairs to work together, only to find out later that several were Bible studies not approved for service, an unbelieving mate who wanted to accompany his wife, teenage friends of young Witnesses, or just people that had come to the meeting the night before. It was hilarious. Part of the problem was that as the C.O, on Tuesday nights I would invite the entire congregation for service that week. Since so many in the audience are interested ones, not even studying the Bible yet with JW's, and since the culture is different, they would accept the invitation! One guy showed up one morning WITH HIS OWN BORN-AGAIN LITERATURE.

But here in California usually the meetings for service were boring, too long, everyone stood around after, no enthusiasm unless the C.O. was there. The ones assigned to "work" together didn't want to so they changed the arrangements.

In developing countries, we hardly ever took a break, even after two or three hours. In California, we always break after an hour. For at least 30 minutes. Half the group doesn't go into the "territory." They do their own "return visits."

I am curious as to what the meetings for service are like around the world. Long, short, boring, what kind of car groups, what time did you break, any good stories, etc.

BF

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Once we went to the po's house for the fs meeting. I was on my way to the car to get something from the glovebox when I heard my wife shriek and then I heard a slap a thud and a someone fall. A brother was walking past her and deliberately got too close and rubbed his hand and crotch on my wife's Luscious Lopez-like bottom. She knocked him backwards over the chairs and he fell on his butt....LOL The po asked what happened and then delayed the actual going to service part for about half an hour so he could scold the brother.

The SOB still went out in service but would not accept my invitation to go in our group.....

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Yeah, I've got a good one!

....oh wait, that was coffee with a friend last week. Nevermind. Field service meetings sucked.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

I think the "car group" concept is US only? Not something I've ever seen in the UK.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I heard that they wanted people out in field circus (and in the territory) 15 minutes or less after the meeting is supposed to have started--I think I may have successfully did that once out of all the times I got stuck doing it. And, when anyone else did the group, we never got out into the territory much before half an hour after the meeting started.

I have seen one occasion where I got there at 8:50 in the morning, and there was that f***ing van waiting, with the engine running. They come in at just after 9:00, and the meeting starts. Twice after, it is disrupted by stragglers. Then the phone rings--someone needs to be picked up. Well, after that, we are already a good 45 minutes late. People are straggling out after the prayer (I have never seen people race out into the parking lot and then screech into the territory after), and my group is supposed to pick up the people that need the ride. We get there, and they are not ready. That wastes another half hour. By the time we start knocking on doors, it is after 10:30. And I still go in at noon, regardless.

I used to like that. Every minute wasted trying to get the group together or waiting is a minute I don't have to worry about getting to a door and then puking because of an ugly guy spitting blood into a mayonnaise jar or having someone try to get me to hold their frog baby while I have to try and not puke (that one hasn't happened--yet). Better to be waiting all day and not accomplish anything than to have to worry about what is waiting for me at the door.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

We met at our home book study location. When we went into the house we noticed a newly installed bright banner hung above the living room couch which said: 'Please Don't Let Your Kids Piss On The Couch'!

That was the last we seen of one family for field service there!

Outaservice (who had to conduct and arrange car groups)

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I once took the group on Tuesday's......Sisters talking loudly at 9am so I yelled out "SISTERS IT TIME TO start..." very loud! kinda scared them and myself!

A couple times I was running late due to my Window cleaning.....9:04 Am Damn it! The Elder would start without me.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Car groups are common in the US because of the size of territories and in some places, a lot of it is rural. You have to drive door to door in some areas.

Anyway, I was showing up at a private home where they met for FS and no one would put me in their car group because they all already had arranged who they were going out with before the group met. In that congo, people did that all the time. Everything arranged the night before, and if you didn't make private arrangements like that, no one to work with so I just went home.

Small rural area congo, you see. Mostly all sisters running the field service meeting, so it got pretty clique-ish.

The only time FS was conducted by the book is when the CO showed up twice a year. Otherwise, this congo did things their own way in many ways because it was easier for them.

• Waffles
    Waffles

In one of the halls that I attended there were a few sisters (2 of them elder's wives and 1 of them a pioneer) that were somehow allowed to skip the service meeting (for no known reason). They would each simply call the Kingdom Hall a little after 9:30, ask where the group was going, tell the person who picked up the phone to get them a spot with one of the car groups, then meet the group in the territory at their leisure, count time for the whole morning, then leave right from the territory to go back home so that they wouldn't have to get driven back to the hall then drive home from there. I guess having an elder husband or being a pioneer had its perks in that congregation.

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Here in the U.S. for the Circuit Overseer visit everyone goes out in service and the KH is unusually full and the C.O. makes all these weird car groups because he doesn't know the cliques and who hates who. So he would mistakenly assign a brother and sister who had dated and just broken up to the same car group. Or two sisters that never speak to each other. Or he would assign a brother with a gross car to drive.

In the parking lot after, everyone would change the arrangements.

BF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit