My experience with the Bethel Legal Dept. regarding a Ministerial Servant molesting a boy

by BonaFide 59 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

The experience that follows contains some details that some might find graphic. so be warned.

The body of elders received word that an unmarried ministerial servant, age 20, had been seen fondling a younger male Bible Student, age 14. The ministerial servant himself had been studying with the boy. The ministerial servant was a quiet, timid brother. He gave his parts on the meeting, but was obviously limited as to mental capacity. He could barely hold down a job. He tried to read the WT once on the platform, but read very poorly.

Two of us elders were assigned to the case. We were unable to contact the Ministerial Servant that day, and time was of the essence. We were told that the Bible students mother had called the elders, so another elder and I went to the home of the Bible Study. The mother was there, and we asked her what happened. She said the ministerial servant came to the house every week, and studied with her son. Usually in the living room. After the study they shot the basketball around. This week however, the mother didn't see them outside. She went into the garage, and found them both with their pants down, facing each other. When she opened the door, they both pulled up their pants right away. She didn't see anything specific, no penetration. She obviously did not view the situation as a molestation of her son, she seemed to be mad that her son got the Ministerial Servant in "trouble." She had an idea her son liked boys, but thought the Ministerial Servant would help him by studying the Bible. We told her he would never come to the house again, and she objected to that. She said not to worry, she would "scold" them and tell them to stop it.

We left.

We immediately contacted the Circuit Overseer, who told us to call Bethel that day. We did.

After I explained this was a judicial matter to the Operator at Bethel, she put us through to the Service Department. The brother there didn't give his name, he gave me his "Desk Number." He asked me several times if I was on a landline, not on a cell. I assured him I was. He then wanted the other elder on the line also. The other elder was at my home, so he picked up the other line. He asked for the names of the persons involved, the date of the incident, and where it took place, the actual address. Then he asked about the details. He was a younger brother, seemed very nervous asking the details. The other elder whispered to me, "What is with this Bethelite? Why so nervous?" He specifically asked the ages, and how sure I was of the ages. He wanted the birthdate of the Ministerial Servant. I told him the Servant is 20, the boy 14. He asked if their pants were all the way down, or halfway down. He asked if their underwear was all the way down, or halfway down. He asked if they were both standing. He asked if there was penetration or oral sex. I informed him that the mother saw where there hands were, and that she didn't see those actions. We explained that the mother didn't see much, they pulled their pants up right away, but they both had their underwear down.

The Bethelite asked about other accusations against the servant, there were none. He asked about his behavior, were there any signs of homosexuality or an interest in younger boys? He very obviously had a questionaire on his desk, we could tell he was reading the questions he was asking us. We were put on hold several times for ten minutes or more. After about an hour, the other elder started getting impatient and whispering to me that the Bethelite liked the details. I whispered to him that if he kept it up, Bethel will hear him and remove him. He was and is one crazy elder.

So then the brother tells us we have to talk to the Legal Department. We are tired and hungry, but we had to stay on the line. The Legal Department asked us the same thing about the landline, and asked virtually the same questions as the Service Department. They also asked if the mother had, or planned to, file a police report. We felt that she wouldn't.

Then they made sure what State we were in. We told them again, California. They told us we had to contact the Police to make a report, FROM A PAY PHONE IF POSSIBLE, and that when we called, they would direct to the department that handles these situations. They told us to write down a list of answers to certain questions that we would be asked by the detectives or police. They told us that in California, the law requires this to be done. I knew one of the brothers in the Legal Department, and he recognized my name and my voice. He said he thought I was still a missionary, I told him I had returned and was now an elder. So then told me that they have the actual forms that California uses to investigate these situations. Not sure if that is actually true, but that's what he said.

So the Legal Dept. told us to write down all these questions so we would be ready, and they would give us the answers to tell the police. The questions were, what is the alleged molester's name, what is the victim's name, who saw the incident, did the perpetrator confess to you, what allegedly happened, etc.

The next question we would be asked by the police was, "HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THIS INCIDENT?" The Legal Dept told us, "When the police ask you that, just keep quiet. You are not required to give your name or your position in the Congregation, so don't. Don't give any info about the congregation, Witnesses, nothing. JUST STAY QUIET. DO NOT TELL THEM WHO YOU ARE OR HOW YOU FOUND OUT WHAT HAPPENED."

Finally, after two hours, we hung up. They told us to call back the next day to confirm we had called the police.

The next day we called the police. They transferred me to the person handling those situations, and sure enough, the EXACT QUESTIONS were asked me. When they got to the one, "HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THIS INCIDENT?," I kept quiet. The person said, "OK, so you are exercising your right to not identify yourself."

We had to do a long report and keep it in the Cong. confidential file. We went and looked for the Ministerial Servant, by then he had skipped town. We couldn't contact him, after a couple of weeks several Witnesses came forward that he had told them he was living with another guy, and that he was sinning, and no longer a Witness. The police never arrested him as far as I know. We tried to contact him, but finally disfellowshipped him en absentia.

I never heard again about this case from Bethel, the police, anyone. We kept quiet, and that was it.

So, what are your comments? (Remember, I was A BELIEVER at that time, but due to a previous case I had dealt with I was already getting wise.)

BF

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

It obviously comes across that whatever the severity of the case me be, the org. will deal with it in the same cold, sober manner......... by-the-book. Yes, the will do exactly what is required of them, by reporting it to the authorities "if the state demands it". But that is it. It often goes no further than their own 'secret' data-base. Their aim is to protect themselves. If these laws weren't in place then we know that all these reports and accusations would be dealt with in house. Their main concern is not to be connected with something like this in any way, and the word 'Jehovah' or 'Jehovah's Witnesses' shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as 'sexual abuse' or 'molestation', hence the stipulation about keeping quiet about certain information and not revealing your identity. It's all about protecting their reputation and image and always will be. That will never change!

With this MS hot footing it out of town and being DF in his absence, he got off lightly. There are virtually no repercussions for what happened, and no-one besides the elders would probably know about it. I've said this before about the orgs policy on child abuse......With their failure to report to the police, unless specifically asked to do so, they are playing a big part in furthering the abuse of children.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Stunning and chilling!

A clear evidence that the wtbts are hypocrytical liars, only too keen to hide pedophiles.

Surely much worse than the pharisees of the first century.

• reniaa
    reniaa

weird! damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Which is it? they are wrong for not going to police or they are wrong for going to police and keeping the uninvolved elder who only has hearsay from the mum uninvolved?

Do you think police wouldn't ask these questions too to find out if the man had molested a boy?

To me this just shows that they are taking molestation very seriously especially since it's clear the mother wouldn't have gone to the police but they had too becasue they follow the law on this.

What could they have done differently?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

"HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THIS INCIDENT?," Quote

If the elder had been forthcoming and said I am a minister of religion, this was told directly to me by the victims mother, the police would have had someone to contact and also may have info on how to find the perpetrator, as he had bolted. You undertstand? Being a christian, others in the fold may know where the perp has run to...

Do you work in this field Reniaa? I do and have for many years. This is bordering on illegal and certainly immoral and the evil thing is they know it (it's the legal dept).

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

Please I beg of everyone who posts to this please do not let Reniaa hijack this post. She is truly just trying to get attention and please do not give it to her on something so horrible as child abuse.

Reniaa please just go back to the meetings you love this religion fine go and enjoy it.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Good point. I broke my golden rule on this site of ignoring bone heads and the plain uninformed.

My mistake and it won't happen again

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

The elder didn't have 'hearsay' from the mum, they had an 'eye witness' account from the mum.

• looloo
    looloo

that mother needs arresting , what a freak !!!!!!!

• mraimondi
    mraimondi

it sounds like the elders are being told to go to the police... as a priority....

dont see the problem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit