The rules of flame wars.

by Mindchild 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

You might find it interesting to compare the tactics below to some of the recent flame wars we experienced in the past on this site to see how easy it is to get sucked into this game and why it takes days to end. You can also see why it is pointless to play with those hooked on playing the game.

I took this information from this website but printed out the main ideas below:
    . http://www.alsirat.com/flame.html

1. Accuse the other party of your worst faults.

2. Insist that you are an avatar of the Truth and that the other person is Falsehood incarnate, or at least "misled."

3. Dwell on errors. Correct them in others at every opportunity.

4. Never apologize unequivocably. If forced to apologize, justify yourself in a way that makes it sound like the other party was responsible for your actions.

5. Write in such a way that the other party looks stupid if they don't respond.

6. Try to be many things at once, so that you can deny everything that is said about you.

7. Say the same thing over and over again.

8. Always strive to get the last word.

9. Never let a debate rest. Never allow the other party to withdraw without making it clear that they have lost.

10. Insist that you are misunderstood.

11. If you can't find something to flame the person about, make something up. Convince yourself that you see the "real" motives.

12. Remember: Winning is everything

Rule for Those Who Do Not Want to Get into Flame Wars:

Ignore them.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

what's a flame war? (or better still - what's a rule?)

the much maligned, evil fighting, misunderstood avatar of truth justice and the australian way .. the most righteous spell checker in the noun universe, unclebruce

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

This is NOT a problem. Just remember at all times that RedhorseWoman is always right. Case closed. Thank you.

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

I'm afraid to answer Unclebruce as I don't want to change my image of Australians being the "good guys."

But Redhorse Women, you needed to repeat that at least twice that you are always right. See rule 7 above. hehe

Skipper

• bigboi
    bigboi

I think a better post would've addressed he reason why these threads tend to bother ppl so much, when all they have to do is ignore them in the first place. The idea of getting upset at other ppl arguing on an internet discussion board seems a bit ridiculous to me.

ONE....

bigboi

"it's like the one thing we all have in common is that we
    got played by a cult and a bunch of old men and no matter what it will
    always be a part of us no matter how much we distance ourselves from it"
    ~ Ghostquote

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

#^@%Off redhorsewoman! you're giving me the $#*%s already! Geez you got a damned cheek insinuating that i'm a dubs body not fit to use as an elephant enema! Don't think I can't read between the lions you trumped up pile of redhorse shhhhwwwatzit. And while I'm at it .. where do you get off implying my dear sweet mother bends her butt seductively to passing strangers?! This is just how those flaming poles things get started youknow.

why i oughta ..

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Skipper,How about the variations of flame wars?Example:Old Friends Flame War.Take a hand grenade(private info).Pull the pin and stick the grenade up your butt.Then attack(post the info) an individual or group of posters you`ve been friends with a long time.BOOM! No survivours on that deal!...OUTLAW

• one
    one

a litle fight is ok sometimes, it help to stay 'awake'

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Bigboi..good idea actually in your statement. Perhaps I will do some research on how pathological behavior stops us from continuing our personal growth and just fuels our anger and pain.

Outlaw, check out my latest post on advanced flame war techniques with a twist.

One, nothing wrong with a little fight, letting out personal anger, but I'm not talking about "little."

Skipper

• one
    one

but

philippinas 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

james 3:16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit