What Has Hurt You Most About Being A Witness?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

For me, it's not having a "normal" childhood. Being raised a JW will make you miss out on ordainary kid things. You can't have any friends except Witnesses---and ONLY JWs that measure up. You couldn't date because dating = marriage ready. You really had to stifle yourself.

What about you?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Being married to a JW. That's the only reason I was in the cult as long as I was.

W

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Loss of family.......

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It tore up 3 generations in my family..I am still dealing with the mess the WBT$ has caused.......................OUTLAW

• minimus
    minimus

One thing you realize is that JWs are a very judgmental lot.

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Being so gullible when I was first contacted by them. Then almost losing 2 of my 3 sons to the "Blood Policy". (I have rhesus negative blood which was not compatible with the 2nd and 3rd son), and of course all of the family upset that "my stand" caused.

Now, it's the rift that's come between myself and my own brother (a typical Elder) - who considers me to be an apostate.

If only I could turn back the clock!

Twinkletoes

• lalaa
    lalaa

One thing you realize is that JWs are a very judgmental lot

minimus- This is very true. JW's are always are the worst when it comes to judging everyone and everything. I sometimes still have to stop myself from being like that every once in a while.

• vikesgirl101
    vikesgirl101

I concur. I would call it 33 years of lost time. I didn't have a normal childhood. The same people that I had to ditch on the playground at school because they were "Bad associates", I had to preach to on Saturday mornings. I married young because dating=marriage. I was not ready. It was someone my parents chose, and he hurt me and my kids.

In a nutshell, lost time, and ability to make own decisions.

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

First the most hurtful thing is the realization, after you leave, that you’re not as good of a person that you thought you were. The JW’s teach you to judge others. “That person has been attending all the meetings so I can’t go to his house for lunch”. “That person hasn’t been out in field service very much so I can’t invite him over”. The list of disqualifications never ends. All the while you picture yourself as being “Christ-like.”

But if you look at Christ he ate with the sinners and tax collectors. Take Mary Magdalene for example. A women that had demons cast out of her. A woman who was an adulteress or prostitute. Not only did Jesus associate with her but she washed his feet with her hair. Imagine the *-storm if you were an Elder today and people found out you were associating with a prostitute who had demon troubles, and she was washing your feet with her tears and hair. That example is a little over the top, but you get the idea.

The second most hurtful thing is that if you had realized this sooner you would have more than 10 stupid posts a day on JWN.

twinkletoes - have you posted your story somewhere?

• villabolo
    villabolo

Stolen time, derailment of one's entire life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit