Alert: WinPC Anti-virus

by FlyingHighNow 41 Replies latest jw friends

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Thanks for the tips, drwtsn, everything you say is is "Stewie's" voice in my head, and that is just pure entertainment!

Rachel

• musky
    musky

"so if you are infected, shut your computer down and take it to the shop.'

Oh come on, you can do it on your own!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Nos,

I love Linux too...but malware alone is not really a reason to switch. And try not to get a false sense of security! Those platforms could get viruses too if malware writers decided to target those platforms!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    everything you say is is "Stewie's" voice in my head, and that is just pure entertainment!

I aim to please, "vile woman!"

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I love Linux too...but malware alone is not really a reason to switch.

Agreed. Some people need to have Windows to run certain pieces of Software like the Watchtower library.

...oh wait, someone got that to work in WINE. Nevermind. :)

I switched because it's free, customizable, stable, light on resources, free of malware, doesn't phone home, no 'Linux Genuine Advantage', no Internet Explorer, no drwtsn32 (sorry, I had to!) Anyway, I should just shut up now.
  • drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    ... no drwtsn32 (sorry, I had to!) ...

What??? It doesn't even work under WINE? :P

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

It doesn't even work under Windows! :D

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

If its any help to you or others for the future, I've discovered that there is a free anti-spyware program which will remove a lot of these malware programs (especially the XPDefender types - which are 'legitimate' so tend to get left alone by most antivirus/antispyware programs).

Its called Malwarebytes - I discovered it on the Bleepingcomputer.com website. More importantly, it also seems to remove the trojans which allow the popups to access your computer in the first place!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I just picked up my computer from Ian. He calls this a conflictor virus. Windows has a patch that he has installed to protect my machine. He told me the aim of the virus inventor is to shut down the entire internet. He told me that people are working hard to keep that from happening. He doesn't think they will infect and shut down the whole internet. I was thinking he was Geek Squad, but he is from the Dweeb Team.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Ian said this virus looks like a legitimate update and that's why your virus programs and you won't notice it until it's already infected your computer and duplicated its self. If you are running windows, you need to get the latest windows patch for this version of the virus. He said this is the worst virus people have come up with yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit