Alert: WinPC Anti-virus

by FlyingHighNow 41 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My computer is with the Geek Squad currently to rid it of this WinPC anti-virus. The guy who is repairing my computer is Ian and he's a member of the Geek Squad. He has two other computers he is trying to rid of the same virus. It originates in Russia and is one of 8 similar conflictor viruses. Your antiviral and spyware will not detect it and it will disable any program you try to run to get rid of it. If you find it in your files like I did, and try to delete it, it will just double its self as many times as you try to delete it. You need a professional to remove it for you. It just causes more damage with everything you do, so if you are infected, shut your computer down and take it to the shop.

Ian said he will have to back up my documents, make a list of my programs, wipe my computer clean and reinstall windows and my info and documents and programs. He said my whole computer is infected. It will get you by a pop up window, even when your pop ups are turned off and tell you that your antivirus program isn't working and when you try to x out that window, it will infect you if you aren't careful. The purpose of the virus is to convince you that you need their antivirus program and to get your credit card/bank info. I didn't give any info. I just clicked out of the window and I got the virus. Ian said it is infecting up to 75 % of computers linked to the internet in the usa. Up to being important. It mutates throughout the day and is causing a lot of problems for many, many, many computers. I hope none of you get it. If you do, Ian said just turn off your machine and if your computers are linked together at home or your business, it can infect all of them if you sign onto the intranet or the internet.

Ian did a lot of work for me in February and told me he won't charge me to do all this for me. It could be expensive for you if you need to have it removed though. Good luck.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Also, the pop up window looks like a legitimate microsoft windows message.

• cawshun
    cawshun

Flying, thank you for the warning.... how did you find it on your computer, where did you look?

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

A good tech might be able to remove it with Hijack This by Trend Micro. I've pulled a few particuarly nasty trojans/viruses off computers that way, but you'll also need some good anti-virus software.

Sometimes the only way to do it is to remove the drive, and place it into another system set up with virus protection so that the infected drive isn't booted from (and thus, no software on it gets into memory before the virus scanner.)

- Lime

• VM44
    VM44

The only solution is to get all your data off of the computer, then format the hard drive and re-install windows.

There is no other way to be sure that the virus is completely eliminated.

• VM44
    VM44

It has become very dangerous surfing the internet.

Your can get a virus just by visiting a website!!!!

There were news reports about a "Facebook" virus that infected computers when they visited a facebook webpage!

• Priest73
    Priest73
    The only solution is to get all your data off of the computer, then format the hard drive and re-install windows.

Baloney. it prolly installed it self as a virtual driver in the dev manager. disable it, but don;t remove it yet. It's so simple even a Cave man could do itl

• VM44
  • StAnn
    StAnn

FHN, I was infected with this evil bugger last Fall. Had to completely wipe my computer and start over, reinstalling WindowsXP, etc. It's a sneaky and very, very troublesome bugger. It can not be cleaned.

My next computer (which will be purchased soon) will be a Mac, not a PC, btw.

St. Ann

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've encountered this issue at work a few times, and this solution ensures total removal and takes much less time than the alternatives.

If you're like me and have a ton of software installed consider using Norton Ghost or Acronis Trueimage to create a backup of your hard drive once you have a clean installation of Windows on your computer, configured the way you like, and with all software installed. It's reduced my recovery time from several days to about an hour. And continue to perform regular backups of your data.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit