Hiking and Trail Safety tips...

by ziddina 49 Replies latest social physical

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Thanks Burns..I`ve only seen gators on TV..And..On my lunch plate..LOL!!..They actually taste pretty good......................................OUTLAW

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Fried gator tail isn't bad at all.

BTS

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Burns..I had Gator at a restaurant here in B.C....Thats a pretty exotic dish around here..I`ve never seen it on a menu anywhere else,since.................................OUTLAW

• Damocles
    Damocles

Zid

I surely agree about the headphones...for safety sure, but I go the woods to escape civilization. Kind of defeats the purpose if I'm head banging to Led Zeppelin.

I think advice on trail safety must take into account the locale. Currently, we don't have much of an issue with cats or even bears much here in PA. I see loads of bear scat but no bears.

To some extent, I like solo hiking because of, not in spite of, the danger. Reminds me that, curiously, nature doesn't have a vested interest in my survival.

Two things I would add to your list. Do use the trail log when hiking in desolate country if there is one. Most trails in Pa have them. That way if you do get into trouble, its easier for rescuers to find you. Also, make sure someone knows your hiking plan. Again, if you are in trouble its easier to be located. My significant others won't have much idea of where I might be if I just mention the park, forest, trail or game land.

I don't carry any offensive protection. Particularly not a gun. First, I'm skeptical that any handgun will have much effect on a bear besides making it even more angry. You almost have to shoot the eye to do much good. Second, bears are fast. At my age, I am pretty sure my reaction time just won't keep up. Finally, to be sure I could hit the bear I'd have to spend quite a bit of time at a practice range and I don't find that prospect very interesting anymore. So I just take my chances.

My dad would add that you should never hike alone... I know but I like the solitude.

OK to be gross, I urinate close to my camping site. I have heard the scent keeps critters away. I tried moth balls but god they stink!

Finally, the critter that scared me the most in all my hiking was a grouse (sic?). I was hiking along a wide trail, zoned out being one with nature when the grouse exploded from the tree no more than 2 feet from me and at head level. Scared the poop out of me. I had some personal hygiene issues to attend to immediately after that.

Damocles

• John Doe
    John Doe
    John Doe - whatever. That's a classic "What? Who, me?" response - get onto the topic of hiking safety or start your own thread.

Every post I've made in this thread has been direct responses to your statements. You keep trying to divert the issue by accusing others of being off topic. Therefore, your accusations are meaningless, and even if they weren't, I will not recognize any authority for you to dictate what I post about. Are we clear now?

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Just wanted to second not listening to an iPod while hiking. I've only hiked in Yosemite which is usually pretty safe and on well known trails, but twice I've had a rattlesnake slither out right in front of me. Cougars are making a comeback there. Everytime I've been there I've seen bears. Saw a female black bear and her cub once on the way down from Half Dome. Nobody has ever been killed by a bear in Yosemite.

As an aside, if you're interested in wilderness park fatalities I highly recommend

Death in Yosemite

http://www.amazon.com/Off-Wall-Yosemite-Michael-Ghiglieri/dp/0970097360/ref=ed_oe_p/181-9226635-9938943

It's a compendium of every death in that park. You'd be amazed at the number of people who end up going over the waterfalls there.

I believe in carrying a firearm on extended trips. Thanks for the info on the Blackhawk, BTS. I'm going to look into that one. I know other serious hikers that carry firearms. The comfort level is worth it.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Guns are not allowed in National Parks

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

god I love the internet!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

As soon as you put in that BS about guns you were looking for an argument... Same with your comment about bear mace. Reading your comments it occurs to me you might just be to dumb to be in the woods.

I've hiked hundreds of miles on the AT and on city streets with my earbuds firmly in place... Maybe you should just try not being a pussy?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hi guys. Just thought I'd pop in and waggle my imaginary peenie to show solidarity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit