Hiking and Trail Safety tips...

by ziddina 49 Replies latest social physical

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JD..When a bear has cubs with her,she can be a shit load of trouble....Same with a Mama Skunk...........LOL!!...OUTLAW

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Ever run into 3 BEARS at once???

This is my front yard.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1827658260806589168&hl=undefined

Of course, our local variety is more a nuisance than a danger. Still, a bear with cubs is always dangerous.

We had just moved to this place, you can tell my wife had never seen one before.

BTS

• John Doe
    John Doe
    How many rattlesnakes have you run across? They're so common here we even have our dog innoculated against their bite. I've run into rattlers at least 5 times in the last 3 years - and just ONE bite can be a problem for a human.

A handful of rattlensnakes. We have mostly cotton mouths and copperheads around here. However, the vast majority of snake bites occur at or below the ankle. I wear pull on, ankle covering boots anytime I'm in the woods. It's going to be difficult for a snake to get through the leather. Secondly, making noise while you walk will cause snakes to flee and get out of your way. You're mostly likely to get bit if you antagonize or startle a snake. Thirdly, no weapon will prevent snake bite. The only thing a weapon is good for is dispatching the snake after you've seen it. Once you've seen it, you won't get bit unless you're an idiot. Finally, I don't kill snakes for no reason. They help with mice control.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

We have rattlers here..Haven`t seen one in 3 years..................OUTLAW

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I don't have much respect for the intelligence of someone who thinks they need a hatchet or a gun to go walking through the woods.

Its true, JD. I walk in the woods around my place unarmed too, and feel pretty safe. But if I was going on an extended hike somewhere remote for several days, including sleepovers, I would carry. I am less worried about animals than people. Of course, stumbling on a mama gator guarding a nest is no joke.

cotton mouths

Around here they are called "water moccasins." In my experience, cottonmouths are aggressive, and they will chase you. Rattlesnakes not so much. I've seen this, even when people are in ATVs.

BTS

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, goody, the peenie-wagglers came out in force... The video didn't 'load', btw

...focused on the "gun" issue and out came the 'reasons' for hauling a heavy gun around in the woods. If we're talking about Alaska - different situation. I'd have guns handy up there. Ditto for grizzly country - and areas with wolf packs.

But most people who run into trouble while hiking aren't just dealing with predators. There's hypothermia, darkness, and just plain getting lost. Funny you guys focused on the predator issues and not the other ones, which actually kill more people. Besides, I'd really like to see video of you pulling your gun out of the holster while wearing a day-pack or backpack too - that extra bulk in the area of your elbows will slow you down, I suspect. Plus, someone with a stopwatch standing by...

The lady who lost her legs - got a factual news reference for that?? Zid

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Link modified.

...focused on the "gun" issue and out came the 'reasons' for hauling a heavy gun around in the woods. If we're talking about Alaska - different situation. I'd have guns handy up there. Ditto for grizzly country - and areas with wolf packs

"Peenie wagglers"? Look, I often carry in town, so why not the woods?

BTS

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Oh, goody, the peenie-wagglers came out in force...

That's uncalled for. Can your agument not support itself?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The lady who lost her legs - got a factual news reference for that??

Yes I do, I referenced myself. Or are you calling me a liar?

BTS

• ziddina
    ziddina

Gentlemen, this wasn't supposed to be an 'argument'. If you want to carry all that extra weight, feel free to. Guns won't help you cross streams, ice, or chop wood or hammer in tent stakes. They're a single-use item - and I go for multi-use practicality.

"Peenie-waggling" - what, haven't you ever noticed that the male gender is the most death-oriented of the two genders??? That's what I'm referring to when I use that term. Death-oriented is usually fear-based - behind every [single-use] weapon lies the emotion of fear. Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit