Hiking and Trail Safety tips...

by ziddina 49 Replies latest social physical

• ziddina
    ziddina

I've done quite a bit of hiking on mountain trails, semi-arid prairie trails, and desert trails... I'd like to pass along a few tips for survival...

First and Foremost!!! NEVER EVER hike/bicycle/whatever with something blaring in your ears!!! I've seen so many people blundering down the local trails with music blaring in their ears, 'Bluetooth' hands' free phones in their ears, and so on...

These people are just asking to be taken down by some sort of predator. The first time I was stalked by a cougar, my ears alerted me to the fact I was in danger!! If I'd been wearing headphones... I'd be as dead as that idiot jogger who was killed a year later by a cougar, in the same area that I was being stalked... Which brings up another point - don't - DON'T - jog in areas where there might be cougars. Jogging REALLY stimulates that big-cat 'pursuit' instinct...

We've had a few trails here with rapists stalking them - usually these are fairly close to civilization. Again, keep your ears open!!!

And when hiking/jogging along a busy road/highway - what idiot would wear earphones in that situation??? But, as my neighbor has warned me of all the joggers being hit by cars on a local stretch, I'd guess that the joggers are plodding along at 5 A.M. with headphones on... Right on the edge of the asphalt. "Beep beeeep! Splat! Darwin Award!!!"

Now, about hiking in the woods...

Guns aren't nearly as good at protecting one as many people may think. Guns take too long to draw, release safety, aim and fire... And if you're carrying your gun with the safety off?? - hah, yeah, let me know where to send the flowers for your funeral... That gun had better not have a 'hair' trigger... One good, sharp 'whack' against a boulder or strong 'hop' off a shelf, and - you can imagine the rest.

Bear spray - I've carried the stuff and consider it unreliable - pretty much the same protests as those against guns. I used to attempt to draw my bear spray from my belt-mounted holster, remove the safety, figure out where the trigger was, and so on - you get the picture... I was running drills, and bear spray took too long.

A hatchet - I've actually carried them on trails; heavy, but instantaneously effective and immediately useful - it was a hatchet that I used to scare off that first cougar who stalked me... then I realized that, though a hatchet would be very destructive to anything that attacked me (including rapists; we've had one or two of those on the trails near civilization), I didn't really want to allow a bear or cougar or coyote or badger to get that close to me before I started doing damage...

What I've come to rely upon is a long, sharp ski pole - NOT THE COLLAPSIBLE KIND!!!, which works really well; my dog and I ran into THREE [3!!!] bears at ONE TIME hiking near Boulder, Colorado; the three bears gave me, my dog, and my waving ski pole one disgusted look and faded into the brush. We could hear them crashing downhill for about fifteen minutes afterwards... They weren't scared, they just gave us that "oh crap, tourists!" look and meandered on.

Personally, for protection on-trails, I vote for ski pole/spear/lance and a Bowie/hunting knife; quickly pulled/available, no need to cock/release safety, has OBVIOUS potential to cause harm that animal can see IMMEDIATELY, and less likely to take YOU down by mistake (guns misfire much more often than spears/knives/hatchets/ski poles...) Though ski poles aren't very safe in thunderstorms, one can switch to a stout oak stick/staff, and if you happen to have a 'knapped' piece of flint on the tip, so much the better. A staff should be AT LEAST equivalent to your height, it would be better if it were a good 6-9 inches longer.

Besides, ski poles (or staffs/spears) can be used to beat the grass ahead of you along the trail to screen for rattlesnakes... And I HAVE run into more rattlesnakes than bears when hiking...

They [ski poles/staffs] also work really, really well on those blasted mountain-bikers ramming down the mountainside at 90 miles per hour without looking further than 3-10 feet ahead on the trail... Works REALLY well on those brain-dead rolling accidents-waiting-to-happen!!!

You can also use a ski pole/spear/lance to brace yourself while hopping rocks across a stream...

Also works on domestic dogs/pit bulls that try to attack me or my dog - you can put a ski pole right thru something just like a foil/saber/sword, and if you HAVE to, you can brace the butt of the pole against the ground or other solid object like a tree/wall, and let the animal 'run' onto it...

On coming down a trail in the dark - I have excellent night vision, but even I've ended up on trails when I couldn't see much more than my hand in front of my face. I started carrying two - three flashlights along in my fanny pack. You can pick up ones nowadays that aren't much bigger than a quarter. If you're afraid you'll use up the battery on an exceptionally long hike, there are "Rechargeable" flashlights about the size of a woman's wallet - uh, let me check those dimensions... 6 inches long, 2 1/4 inches wide, and 2 inches deep. TOTALLY rechargeable. The rechargeable one fits quite well into my fanny pack and if you've got a daypack - puh-lenty of room. They're fairly lightweight, too - I think about 6 oz... There are plenty of good websites for such flashlights...

One should always carry waterproof matches. You can use those pencil lead containers for mechanical pencils to hold them. These should be "scratch on any surface" matches, btw.

One should always carry a rain slicker of some sort - I've found that those mid-length dry-cleaning bags (approx 3 - 4 feet long) work very well, cut arm-and-head slits and you're off. They're very lightweight; tend to tear a bit if you catch them on brush, but would do in an emergency.

Always carry a small packet of kleenix and a 1/4 roll toilet paper... Cloth handkerchiefs would be better than kleenix, btw.

One should always carry a small first-aid kit. Mine has bandaids, joint-wrap-tape, a small pocket knife (I can use it to cut up my shirt if I need a fairly large bandage), germicide gel, quick-drying 'liquid' bandage (sort of like clear nail polish...), and beeswax-based hand creme and lip balm.

I've come down trail a few times dripping blood (scraped skin on a boulder or ripped open a finger on a rock - didn't need stitches though), and with a sprained wrist (put my foot squarely on a round twig just as I looked up at the view, slid and came down with my full body weight on top of my wrist. Heard it 'pop', jumped up, yanked it back into place, and continued downhill, making sure I didn't have to use that wrist again! And I didn't use it - for a month...) So I am somewhat familiar with the need for a first-aid kit.

Carrying a compass/mirror/clock combination can be a good idea, but be aware - the Bermuda Triangle isn't the only place a compass can go haywire. Hubby and I alighted at a trailhead in the San Juan Mountains in southern Colorado one time, only to have my compass freak out when we tried to find 'north'. ANYtime you're in mountains near large ore bodies or rocks with a high iron content - you may experience a compass failure. Be sure you can find directions by the sun (rising, setting) and stars.

Woah! I almost forgot one very important thing - when in BEAR country, DO NOT WEAR any PERFUME, AFTERSHAVE, SHAMPOO, MAKEUP, SUNSCREEN, HAIR CONDITIONER, use LAUNDRY FRESHENER sheets, or ANYTHING that smells even vaguely like FOOD!! [I have one tube of sunscreen that I call "Bear Candy" because of its sweet smell...]

Remember all those reports of grizzly attacks in Yellowstone, and the idiot male rangers would say things like, "She was on her period. She was just over her period. She was about to have her period." Not possible that ALL those conditions would cause a bear attack. What was REALLY attracting the critters [IMO] was the smell of the food-scented cosmetics that women tend to use more often than men. Combine that with the fact that a sleeping bag looks somewhat like a garbage bag....

I realized the significance of the 'perfumed products' factor one day when hubby and I were following some knucklehead greenhorn woman in Yosemite National Park who reeked - absolutely REEKED - of perfume! I could follow her scent for 3/4 of a mile, and a bear?? 5 miles, at least. I've run into so many stupid college girls on the trails near Boulder who stink up the woods for a good half-mile with their perfumes 'cause they're so afraid of 'perspiration odors'... Believe me, when you're in the woods, you WANT to 'smell' like a human - tends to keep predators away.

Oh, and one last thing. ALWAYS stash your food - hang it or hide it in your car. In bear country, in coyote country, even in desert (pack rats, desert mice) country, 'cause there's always SOMETHING out there that would like you to 'share' your goodies with them!

Keep your campsite really clean - throw food wastewater and dishwashing water down the toilet. That's after you've put the solids into the trash and deposited the trash in your car or in bear-proof trashcans - depends on whether you're backpacking, 'primitive' camping, or have a cushy developed campground to stay in.

Ooops. How could I forget this?? PROTECT YOUR PETS AND CHILDREN. I have a newsphoto of a cougar stalking right up behind a MOTHER AND HER TWO CHILDREN - the husband taking the picture was only 7-10 feet away, and the cougar was going to snatch one of the children right out from under their noses. That is what a cougar is capable of, as well as many other types of predators. Not to mention rattlesnakes, poison ivy, and so on. In ancient times, children survived by either staying close to camp or knowing what to do (and being big enough) in case a predator did threaten. Make sure your kids are 'wilderness'-savvy. Pets - don't EVER leave them unattended. Don't leave them 'out' at night - keep them in your car or in your tent with you.

Enjoy the great outdoors, but remember, as I've always said, "The earth can quickly kill those who are not careful or alert, and She sometimes gets those that are careful and alert, as well." Keep your eyes open, think 'outside' the box [how many of you have checked to be certain there aren't any dead trees about to fall as you hike along?] and BE A-W-A-R-E. If you have a 'gut' feeling something is wrong - CHECK IT OUT. Don't ignore it.

Happy hiking and trail adventures! Zid

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Guns aren't nearly as good at protecting one as many people may think. Guns take too long to draw, release safety, aim and fire... And if you're carrying your gun with the safety off?? - hah, yeah, let me know where to send the flowers for your funeral... That gun had better not have a 'hair' trigger... One good, sharp 'whack' against a boulder or strong 'hop' off a shelf, and - you can imagine the rest.

This portion demonstrates an a good deal of ignorance over the utility, safety and use of firearms. I suspect the author does not have much experience with guns. Guns can be drawn very quickly when needed if properly carried. No this does not mean behind you lodged deep in your backpack. But a side holster or a concealed appendix carry can allow one to produce the weapon very quickly. Some very safe guns have no manual safety, such as those manufactured by Glock and Springfield Arms. A single action weapon or a weapon with a manual safety can have a very light trigger and be perfectly safe, it cannot fire unless cocked or having the safety flipped off. Your typical single action revolver funcions like this. It will not fire when the trigger is pulled unless cocked. The Colt 1911 also has a light single action trigger, but is carried "cocked and locked", it has a manual thumb safety, as well as a passive grip safety. These guns are very safe, and there is a reason why those that ride a horse prefer a traditional single-action six-shooter as a side arm. A fidgety horse won't make you accidentally pull the trigger multiple times and set the gun off.

BTS

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

^--- I'd like to get me one of those.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

OUTLAW`s bear protection tip..If your in bear country put a few small rocks in an empty tin can and rattle them as you walk..Bears will usually wander away when they hear that noise...........OUTLAW`s mountain cat protection tip..Never look a mountain cat in the eye!..Ever!..That big cat will attack you in a heartbeat if you do..................Theres a reason I`ve stayed alive in the wilderness this long..I know how to survive.....................OUTLAW

• John Doe
    John Doe

Guns can be effective or they can be ineffective, depending on the user. How safe the user is is directly propotional to the training and practice the user has undertaken. If you carry a gun, you need to put your time in and practice using it. Skill can only come from practice. Shooting at least a couple thousand rounds a year is good advice, especially if you depend on a gun for your protection.

• ziddina
    ziddina

First of all, I've run into too many idiots with guns in the woods. More than once I've seen men with rifles doing target practice in the woods ON HIKING TRAILS and firing down uncomfortably close to the actual trails, so I don't have much respect for the so-called 'intelligence' of the average gun-toting guy...

Next, put your holster on, strap the gun in so it won't fall out if you trip, jump down off a boulder, whatever, then from that position open the holster, pull the gun, release the safety, cock it, and place your finger on the trigger. How many seconds did that take??? My ski pole/staff is ALWAYS up, out, and ready, and is HIGHLY VISIBLE to anything that might be thinking about snacking on me - NO TIME WASTED in 'getting it ready to fire...'

How much does your gun weigh? Since you're probably going for the most 'bang', you've probably got a pretty heavy piece of metal strapped to your thigh. Probably weighs more than my hatchet, and definitely more than my ski pole - and you can't use yours for chopping wood, hammering in tent stakes - well, maybe you can if you reeeeaaaally trust that 'safety - you can't use it to balance on while crossing slippery rocks, it won't help you when crossing icy areas, it won't alert you to a rattlesnake nestled in the grass beside the trail. That chunk of metal - unless you're center-carrying it on your back somehow, is going to throw your body off-balance with each step. I'd breeze right past you on a trail.

Then there's that false sense of security most gun owners have. Don't HAVE to watch out for cougars/bears/rattlesnakes/whatever crossing your path - they'd better watch out for you!!! That complacent attitude has killed a lot of idiots...

Zid

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    ^--- I'd like to get me one of those.

They are not expensive . You can get a new, New Model Super Blackhawk in a powerful caliber like 44 Magnum for under $500. It is not the prettiest or most polished revolver you can buy (although it can be made so), but it is probably the strongest commercially available (massively overdesigned), and it works flawlessly.

BTS

• John Doe
    John Doe

Also, I get a kick out of all this bs about woods being dangerous. I've lived in the woods most of my life, and used to go walking in the middle of the night with no light and no weapon. I've never had any animal attack, or threaten to attack. Most wild animals steer clear of you. The one exception are skunks--they aren't afraid of much of anything. However, don't antagonize them and they leave you alone. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't have much respect for the intelligence of someone who thinks they need a hatchet or a gun to go walking through the woods.

• ziddina
    ziddina

"A fidgety horse won't make you accidentally pull the trigger multiple times and set the gun off...."

Did you miss the first word in the title of this thread that said: "HIKING"....?????? WTF???

[yawn] Really, John Doe? How many rattlesnakes have you run across? They're so common here we even have our dog innoculated against their bite. I've run into rattlers at least 5 times in the last 3 years - and just ONE bite can be a problem for a human.

How many times have you been stalked by cougars?? Me - three times at least - those are the times I was AWARE that one was stalking me... Probably have been stalked more often but didn't realize it. Did you miss the comment about the jogger being killed by a cougar in the same area a year later??

Ever run into 3 BEARS at once??? I did - neat experience, but I was glad the cubs weren't young enough for Mama to feel over-protective of. I was raised by ranchers and hunters; my grandparents [both sets] homesteaded up in South Dakota. They taught me certain things, and I figured out some others on my own. Zid

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I can't speak for fools that do not practice gun safety. But that is not the argument the original post is making. Gun ownership does not indicate stupidity, it only indicates that you notice the gun owners that happen to be stupid.

Next, put your holster on, strap the gun in so it won't fall out if you trip, jump down off a boulder, whatever, then from that position open the holster, pull the gun, release the safety, cock it, and place your finger on the trigger. How many seconds did that take???

First off, the holster would already be on in bear country, the velcro or snap catch would already be engaged. On the revolver pictured above, a reasonably familiar user could have the gun presented in one or two seconds. Probably one second but I am making allowances. Not much different from your ski pole. Not to mention your ski pole requires greater proximity to work and is a good deal less intimidating to the two legged predators that occasionally are found in our natural areas.

By the way, I reaaaaallly trust the safety features. My revolver, if holstered, and especially if the hammer is down on an empty cylinder (not really necessary on modern revolvers but you could do it if you are paranoid), will not go bang unless I want it to.

Then there's that false sense of security most gun owners have. Don't HAVE to watch out for cougars/bears/rattlesnakes/whatever crossing your path - they'd better watch out for you!!! That complacent attitude has killed a lot of idiots...

Have you quantitatively gauged the false sense of security? In my experience, it is those that make no effort to arm themselves that are the ones that are lulled into a false sense of security. Shooters take active measures to protect themselves. Should I talk about the friend of a friend that decided it was a good idea to parachute into, then hike out of bear country? His wife got her chute caught in a tree. She was left hanging. A bear ate her legs. They thought carrying guns in mother nature was evil. Armament is no excuse for complacency, by the way. A gun is a tool, a good tool. It is not a substitute for awareness and precaution, a combat mindset.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit