When you heard "apostate" who did you imagine?

by nbernat 34 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I knew they were "fallen brothers" set on bad mouthing the JWs. They were the ones picketing and complaining.

And yes now that I am one - I know it just aint so.

• reniaa
  • reniaa
    reniaa
    Acts 5:38-39 (New International Version)

38 Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. 39 But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

My first ever memory was a df'ed MS from my first Congregation , he was a fairly popular guy and I must have been only 8 at the time , but he was planning on writing some books and plotted the down fall of the Borg, his name was Jeff Unwin, my next brush was with the happy clappy christians who used to gather outside of the main gate of the final Sunday outside Twickenham at the D/C they used to gather most years , even one year with a full musical backing , they used to distribute leaflets about the failed dates etc, but one placard I always remember was one the read "READ THE BIBLE NOT THE WATCHTOWER", but as a goody two shoes Dub you always believe that members of the true faith would have op posers, and I was glad to see that those op posers were fulfilling Biblical prophecy. Later coming toward the end of my Dub life and approaching the D/C that would finally finish my time as a Dub , my sister requested we meet for lunch one day , as I relayed my standpoint about the new truths I had discovered , she later revealed to my folks and friends that I was definitely possessed! LOL

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa...Acts 5:39, 40 is who you imagined when you heard the word apostate? That's not really a who. I imagined a bitter, angry, unreasonable man spouting out lies and unwilling to listen to anything contrary to what he was saying.

• reniaa
    reniaa

I don't imagine anyone as apostate because it is an act not a person. So whether these people are angry, bitter, happy agressive, gentle is not the issue it is whether they do actions that would make them apostates and the scripture I used show is it is better not to put yourself in that postion for your own sake as that wise man words say.

Satan is not a be-horned beast as many would have him in generalisations the bible says he masquerades as an angel of light. I am not a fan of generalisations

2 Corinthians 11:14
    And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

The danger is if people say to themselves "I am not agressive angry bitter etc therefore I am not apostate" when they could be wrong because apostasy is an action not a person type.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I don't imagine anyone as apostate because it is an act not a person. So whether these people are angry, bitter, happy agressive, gentle is not the issue it is whether they do actions that would make them apostates and the scripture I used show is it is better not to put yourself in that postion for your own sake as that wise man words say.

My reply: An apostate is simply one who leaves a set of beleifs....be it a political view or a religious view....certainly not a monolpolized word of the WT. You said well that personlaity triats do not define whether one is an aposate of a course- it is whether they have abandoned it or not.

Satan is not a be-horned beast as many would have him in generalisations the bible says he masquerades as an angel of light. I am not a fan of generalisations

2 Corinthians 11:14
    And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

My reply: fair enough

The danger is if people say to themselves "I am not agressive angry bitter etc therefore I am not apostate" when they could be wrong because apostasy is an action not a person type

My reply: agreed

• donny
    donny

My first association with the word "apostate" occured shortly after my baptism in 1983. My ex-wife and I were eating at a restaurant with another JW couple and as we sat down at the table, there was a copy of the "The Plain Truth", which was the Watchtower of the Worldwide Church of God. The sister across from me turned to the second page and pointed to the picture of the WWCOG predident, Herbert Armstrong, and said "That there is is the Evil Slave" and then placed the magazine on the table behind us.

Don

• caliber
    caliber

apostate" who did you imagine?
    Isn't that the point" our imagination.". that is why I posted 8 or so pictures

because can't we just have fun with this seeing what all of us imagined apostates to be in are own minds ?

As with the thread "are JW's crappy spellers" ..it's a point for discussion but don't expect definitive conclusions.

What's the point in getting all serious ? Relax , have a coffee unburden your troubled serious mind ! ..

Put a little fun and magic back in your life.... use your imagination ! Who is a person..a question asked !

I don't imagine anyone as apostate because it is an act not a person ..Reniaa
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

To me, an apostate was an arrogant soul who presumed to know more than "The Society"...The WT called them "Evil Slave" so I also believed then to be evil .

I imagined an ex Witness man with a beard (first act of freedom from WT rules) , and ranting babble about the Scriptures , having no foundation..I was told they hated Witnesses so I would be a bit scared of them.

It seems the WT did a good stereotyping job...It did not stop me becoming one though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit