"Miracle Oil" ad in 1922 Golden Age

by processor 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

...........and there is a record of a man in Switzerland who lived to the age of 335.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I forgot to ask. Did the WT have a financial stake in Miracle Oil or did they just sell ad space? I'm not certain but I don't think it would be legal to make the same claims today without document proof.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It was also advertised in Kingston, Jamaica in 'The Gleaner'

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/SiteMap/FreePdfPreview.aspx?img=1129670

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

There is a product still sold today called MARVEL MYSTERY OIL, which is not related to the 'miracle oil' of Golden Age fame, as far as I can tell.

See: http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/about/

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Woodworth apologised and said there would be no more advertising in the 2 Dec 1925 Golden Age, page 140 and then went on to extol the virtues of the Radio Biola

1925 Golden Age PDF

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The oil was a product of B. G. Desmond Mfg. Co. of 346 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, New York. The proprietor was Bert G. Desmond of 187 Amity Street, Brooklyn, New York. He had operated an oil plant in Detroit, Michigan, with Francis R. Hemenger, which led to the formation of New Wonder Oil Co. at 519 General Robinson Street in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Hemenger lived in Oakmont, Allegheny, Pennsylvania at the time of the ads. The link between Allegheny and Brooklyn is a little interesting as it echoes the dual location of the Watch Tower Society. But I know of no direct evidence indicating that there proprietors were Bible Students. Allegedly, Desmond had been at one time an associate of David Buick, and claimed (in promotional material) to be the first to realize that lubrication was needed for the working parts of the internal combustion engine; however Charles Wakefield (responsible for Castrol) had already patented a lubrication system in the 1890s. Desmond's "miracle oil" went on the market in 1910. Miracle Oil Sales Co. appears to have been franchised, there were different companies in different states, and there was even a franchise or branch in Jamaica.

• Blind Willie McTell
    Blind Willie McTell

I wonder if Greenlees or Chitty used this oil?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Probably Greenlees and Chitty were AstroGlide boys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit